• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

world cup

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a Canadian, I think that hockey rules should prevail in all sports.It's sports. Players trash talk. However, sometimes, someone gets in your face or pulls a dirty trick just once too many and deserves a smash in the face. After a sound pummeling, he learns a little respect. Fighting should be a major (soccer penalty kill - possibly more goals, yay
smile.gif
, but you should not get kicked out of the game.

I agree that Trezeguet was the real reason that France lost though. Dude was brought on that late for pretty much one reason, score a goal, either in overtime or on penalties. I feel bad for the dude.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
I've always been of the philosophy that nobody's above a good beating if they are in the wrong. And while normally mere words shouldn't justify the use of violence, I do feel that there will be instances in life where really harsh verbal insults and insinuations could justify a beating.

That's quite a philosophy.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
edit: wrong thread.

Good job, Italia!

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Being a Canadian, I think that hockey rules should prevail in all sports.It's sports. Players trash talk. However, sometimes, someone gets in your face or pulls a dirty trick just once too many and deserves a smash in the face. After a sound pummeling, he learns a little respect. Fighting should be a major (soccer penalty kill - possibly more goals, yay
smile.gif
, but you should not get kicked out of the game.

I agree that Trezeguet was the real reason that France lost though. Dude was brought on that late for pretty much one reason, score a goal, either in overtime or on penalties. I feel bad for the dude.

Actually, I kind of like this idea. I think having power plays in soccer could do a lot for the sport. I think it might on the one hand work to eliminate some of the diving because some level of hitting would be tolerated and might also lead to higher scores. Somebody should start a petition.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
That's quite a philosophy.

I can understand how it sounds a bit harsh. And I probably made it seem like the threshold for administering the beating was lower than it actually was.

I guess my point is, there are times when words do actual damage and are a source of real provocation. In addition, there are certain venues where such verbal challenges are supposed to be responded to (yes, I understand that it's best to avoid these venues).

I'm really not trying to make myself out to be some sort of badass, because I'm not. But it would not trouble me mentally to resort to physical force in certain situations. They may be rare, but these situations do exist.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Sorry odoreater. My fault...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It really bothers me that the biggest cry babies and fakers in soccer won the WC. We really need to get rid of PKs, if not for all elimination rounds, at least for the final.

Soccer is a team sport and I think the game should be won or lost as a team, not by one players' mistake. Penalties are a ridiculous way to end a game. When it comes down to it, if you win by PKs, it's because a player on the other team screwed-up or your keeper guessed right. Since it is phyiscally impossible for a goal keeper to save a kick directed at either of the corners unless he starts moving before the ball has left the ground, they guess... What a stupid way to decide a match.

I also think they need to start using video replay when players go down and start carding those that roll around on the ground pretending to be in agony. Everyone does it to a certain extent, but the italians have really mastered it and it really does make mockery of the game.

As for the Zidane incident, his action summed up my feelings for the Italian team in general. I just wish he'd hit Materrazzi in the face and caused some real damage instead of hitting him in the chest. Still, what a head-butt!

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
The way I would put it is like this: sometimes a violent response to words can be justified but it can never be excused. There are things that people could say to me (not very many, but there are some) where under the right circumstances I would probably give the person a beat-down just for the words. However, I would not expect to be excused for the beat down. I would expect to be punished for it and I would accept that punishment as the correct response to what I did. Therein lies the difference between excuse and justification.

Save the beat down for after the game. That's what the parking lot is for. And for parking, of course.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Save the beat down for after the game. That's what the parking lot is for. And for parking, of course.

Then it's assault. During the game it's just a red card.

As a professional he probably should have held back, but I can still understand where the frustration came from. Regardless, everything will be explained within the next couple of days.. should be interesting.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Being a Canadian, I think that hockey rules should prevail in all sports.
You mean NHL rules. They're the only hockey league(and their farm clubs) that permits fighting. The NHL bores me to tears. I much prefer the International or Collegiate game, expressly because they're not mucked up with fisticuffs. But then how does one argue in the face of the NHL's huge worldwide popularity. You'd think that the NFL, NBA and MLB would catch on.
sarcasm.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(Interesting?) observation: there were times when over a third of the players on the field (Italian & French) were present day Juve palyers. Do you think Trezeguet going up against his teammate (with whom he's probably practiced penalties many times over the years) could've affected his concentration?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
It really bothers me that the biggest cry babies and fakers in soccer won the WC. We really need to get rid of PKs, if not for all elimination rounds, at least for the final.

Soccer is a team sport and I think the game should be won or lost as a team, not by one players' mistake. Penalties are a ridiculous way to end a game. When it comes down to it, if you win by PKs, it's because a player on the other team screwed-up or your keeper guessed right. Since it is phyiscally impossible for a goal keeper to save a kick directed at either of the corners unless he starts moving before the ball has left the ground, they guess... What a stupid way to decide a match.

I also think they need to start using video replay when players go down and start carding those that roll around on the ground pretending to be in agony. Everyone does it to a certain extent, but the italians have really mastered it and it really does make mockery of the game.

As for the Zidane incident, his action summed up my feelings for the Italian team in general. I just wish he'd hit Materrazzi in the face and caused some real damage instead of hitting him in the chest. Still, what a head-butt!

tounge.gif

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Then it's assault. During the game it's just a red card.

As a professional he probably should have held back, but I can still understand where the frustration came from. Regardless, everything will be explained within the next couple of days.. should be interesting.

Its still an assault on the field of play,do you think you could pull out a knife and stab an opposing player and because its on the field of play its fine.
Duncan Ferguson was jailed for a head butt on the field.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
Its still an assault on the field of play,do you think you could pull out a knife and stab an opposing player and because its on the field of play its fine.
Duncan Ferguson was jailed for a head butt on the field.

Perhaps, but it's a rare occurence that violence within the confines of a sporting event results in a criminal conviction. The NHL wouldn't exist if they treated the stuff that occurs during the game in the same manner as they treated similar events outside the game. Zidane's little head-butt pales in comparison to what goes on in other sports. Plus, I'm pretty sure Materrazzi earned what he got :p

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads