• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wooden Soled Shoes?

TopHatChef

Reaction score
I was at a Nordstrom a few years ago and remember seeing shoes that I believe had a wooden sole. This intrigues me, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any brands that made shoes with wooden soles (something like an oxford).

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are no makers of mens dress shoes with wooden soles that I am aware of.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was at a Nordstrom a few years ago and remember seeing shoes that I believe had a wooden sole. This intrigues me, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any brands that made shoes with wooden soles (something like an oxford).

I think the sole was painted to look like wood. Wood has poor shock absorption . I don't think any maker makes shoes with wooden soles. Also not sure how a maker would keep the leather upper and wooden sole together. Unless of course the upper is also wood then simple nail job ......

Sorry... I have read some shoe description says " Furniture painted leather sole". So I am guessing you may have seen one of those.

TopHatChef

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking because I thought it would be impractical to have a wooden sole on my shoe, but I just had that thought in the back of my head.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, just checked the links that you have shared. These guys selling on ebay has no idea of shoes. Look at the feedback. They are no shoe expert. One of my friend thought his leather sole was wood. I explained him that was not wood . He still not convinced ! He recons if it look like wood , feels like wood and makes noises like wood (when he walks) it must be wood ! I maybe wrong. But unless someone can show some “Real Description” from official manufacturer…
I have heard of wooden heels but I think its more of colour like cordovan is not necessarily Shell Cordovan.
My0.02 !

Last edited:

greyinla

Reaction score
There are certainly wooden-soled shoes out there (clogs, some women's sandals, etc.) but the stacked heels on men's dress shoes are typically made of layers of leather. They do look a bit like layers of wood or plywood, leading to some confusion.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My only wooden sole shoes are for Oly lifting. There are wooden shanks in my dress shoes but I've not seen anything from Nordstrom that had a wooden sole. Maybe just the heel.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some To Boot soles look very much like wood for some reason, pretty sure they are leather though

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of neophytes out there (99% of the population) who know nothing about shoes or their construction.
It is common to see these confused (though I am sure, well-intentioned) souls refer to leather soles as wood soles.
They may have read, for example, the words 'oak bark tanned soles' and concluded the soles were made from oak.
Clearly they know nothing of either shoes or wood for that matter. Once in awhile this even works to a buyers advantage when the seller doesn't understand what they are selling.
Therefore,.......erm....what was this thread about again?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics