• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

DG123

Reaction score
Not too well known model, my old Wolverine 1000 Mile “Palmer” chukka boots.

That is a good looking pair of Chukka boots. I am interested to buy a pair of chukka boots but the only one currently in the 1000 Mile line seems to be a sand colored suede upper with leather sole. My preference is a dark colored smooth leather with a rubber sole.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally dropped my used and abused wolverine 1000 milers at a cobbler last week

20210901_120802.jpg

20210901_120755.jpg

I also printed out this picture and told them don't worry about the rubber insert in the sole. Let's see what they come up with

1631214406786.png

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pictures of my first nice pair of boots from about 8-9 years ago. Some courtlands They have seen a lot. New soles. Lots of yard work, mucking stalls, etc. the way way the cxl conforms to the foot and toe shape. Just comfortable. I started to send for new leather soles but found a like new pair to start over

8904B859-7840-40CB-B3F0-F0928A2FB82C.jpeg

Attachments

• 92D1A48F-8430-4DA2-BC8B-864B5BBB74BA.jpeg
    92D1A48F-8430-4DA2-BC8B-864B5BBB74BA.jpeg
    370.9 KB · Views: 89

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DuckOB Thank you. Almost two weeks in and all is well. My wife is telling me to enjoy this one (our second child) because she "ain't doing this again"!

1000 Mile boots must be like a gateway drug, that was one of my firsts and I have bought many since. At first I despised the single leather sole but now I love them.

I see your Courtlands are going strong. When they sell boots they should always include a picture of them 5+ years in. If they had done so, I might have also bought the Courtland from my local outfitters when they had them marked down to ~$140 way back when.

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@manowar Glad to hear everyone is doing well! My first didnt sleep thru the night until 18 months....we only have one :)

I like the toe shape of the 1k miles and the moc toe. I had foot issues back when i bought these and had to swap out to softer soles...but all that has passed so exited to try the original soles again. If i have issues I'll swap to double leather. I am looking forward to breaking the news ones in.

Have a great holiday season!

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DuckOB

Same to you! Enjoy the new boots.

I will likely wind up with another pair of them eventually, but for now there are just too many other exciting options and my 1K's are not yet close to end-of life.

My only regret is that in my initial excitement and inexperience I severely over-conditioned the leather which made them super soft but also lacking in structure. They feel like slippers.

I use an athletic insert to snug them up with thick socks. During break-in the leather stretched like crazy so in hindsight I may have been able to go down a whole size from normal (Brannock size).

I tried a rubber half sole for a time but shortly ripped them off because they threw off the boot's balance. But the glue residue leftover on the leather served as a flexible, grippy protective layer that I quite liked! It made me consider just reapplying some rubber cement onto the sole from time to time.

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:fistbump:hahaha - I did the same!!!..read to much on the internet....conditioned and water proofed when new...but they were soft and comfortable :)

Reaction score
Any 1000 Mile die hards out there know which variant of 1000 mile this is? (Attached)

It's like a mashup of the 1940 / MOC toe and the split rubber sole of the Evans... The image is on the front page of the Wolverine website at the moment, and yet when you click through, it doesn't exist.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211117-003615_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211117-003615_Chrome.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 75

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any 1000 Mile die hards out there know which variant of 1000 mile this is? (Attached)

It's like a mashup of the 1940 / MOC toe and the split rubber sole of the Evans... The image is on the front page of the Wolverine website at the moment, and yet when you click through, it doesn't exist.

Incidentally, I have been perusing their website recently so I'll answer your question. These are a limited run moc-toe whose proceeds go towards a work scholarship. It's a collab with Old Rip Van Winkle Bourbon. I do like the bulkier stitching and hefty heel counter. They're sold out now but you can request notification of preorder on their next batch of, uhh... boots.

While I wouldn't spend $400 on those, they get tempting at half that price. There's currently a doorbuster sale on a Horween "Pullman leather" 1000 Mile Evans boot. Not bad for $199, though I'll wager this is not Horween's finest, since it's not even listed on their website.

I am also eyeing this inexpensive Chelsea boot at $139.

Reaction score
Incidentally, I have been perusing their website recently so I'll answer your question. These are a limited run moc-toe whose proceeds go towards a work scholarship. It's a collab with Old Rip Van Winkle Bourbon. I do like the bulkier stitching and hefty heel counter. They're sold out now but you can request notification of preorder on their next batch of, uhh... boots.

While I wouldn't spend $400 on those, they get tempting at half that price. There's currently a doorbuster sale on a Horween "Pullman leather" 1000 Mile Evans boot. Not bad for $199, though I'll wager this is not Horween's finest, since it's not even listed on their website.

I am also eyeing this inexpensive Chelsea boot at $139.

Aha! Thanks for looking it up, and for the links. Turns out the Canadian Wolverine website has a severely limited catalog compared to the US site. Yes, that doorbuster looks good... If it was available in wide. Too bad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads