• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why the sore feet in my dress shoes??

SoleFreak

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I ask the question, why are my feet always very sore after a days work in whatever dress shoe I wear? I currently rotate 2 pairs of Hugo Boss shoes (oxfords and derbys) and a pair of Cheaney oxfords with a Dainite sole. Also own a pair of Handgrade C&J's which I haven't worn yet.

The Cheaneys are new and have been hurting the knuckle of my big toe on the left foot only but my main issue is with the soles of my feet (balls of my feet), this is were they are the most sore.

What can be the cause of this as I know others who wear similar shoes and have no issues what so ever.

Last edited:

TOstyle

Reaction score
Does take some time to work in new shoes, especially well-made shoes with stiffer, longer-lasting leather. Take some time at home to wear them just a few hours at a time to break them in, instead of just wearing them for a full work-day right away.

Otherwise, it might be that they don't fit well. For some of mine, I've also had to have them widened as they were too narrow for the little toe. The leather should stretch and relax as you wear them, but if it's still an issue you can have a cobbler widen/stretch them.

MonVert

Reaction score
As mentinend above. Fit is the most obvious issue... However, are you wearing decent socks with your shoes? (Someone has to ask this all important question.)

starro

Reaction score
So of the 4 pairs of shoes you own, only 2 of them are considered quality dress shoes in this forum. The Cheaney is new, and C&J unworn, so possibly the foot pain arises from the well-worn, but lower quality shoes.

food for thought

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I ask the question, why are my feet always very sore after a days work in whatever dress shoe I wear? [...]

May we assume from this that you don't get similarly sore from non-dress shoes?

If so, and if you've ruled out all possible medical problems, and if the shoes fit properly, then you may just be spending a lot of time on your feet (I'm also assuming that the shoes have been broken in). If that's the case, a simple padded insole like Dr. Scholl's might solve the problem. I've added insoles to almost all my shoes.

Cheers,

Ac

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As mentinend above. Fit is the most obvious issue...

True.

Too many men buy the same size shoes now, as they did when last they had their feet measured, 20 years ago. I don't care if you stopped growing when you were 17; your feet may not have gotten the message.

Feet can change. You need to get them measured every so often. For both length and width. Width is the big gotcha. Too many men don't even know what width their feet are; they just assume they're "average."

Anyway, if only dress shoes leave your feet hurting, there are several possibilities. Maybe your non-dress shoes (sneakers? moccasins?) are more "giving" in terms of proper fit. Maybe your non-dress shoes have lots of cushioning, and your dress shoes don't. Maybe you wear nicely padded socks with your non-dress shoes, and they provide the extra cushioning. Maybe something else entirely.

If you determine that the dress shoes fit right, and your feet don't start getting used to them before long, the Dr. Scholl's option, mentioned by Academic2, might have some merit. I prefer the gel insoles. Note: They may take up enough space inside the shoes as to make the shoes too tight. In which case you have a whole new set of options to explore in resolving that whole new problem.

SoleFreak

Reaction score

As mentinend above. Fit is the most obvious issue... However, are you wearing decent socks with your shoes? (Someone has to ask this all important question.)

So what are decent socks? I've considered insoles but that may make my issue worse as with the Cheaneys it's the left shoe that is giving me pain as its bending, the leather is pushing into the knuckle of my big toe. The other shoes are giving me sore soles due to the lack of cushion.

My trainers are fine, apart from the ones that don't offer proper arch support.

crinklecut

Reaction score
Have you considered maybe seeing a podiatrist? It may be that you are prone to rolling your feet (pronation/supination), or have some other undiagnosed problem. Leather dress shoes are a lot less forgiving of these issues than trainers.

MonVert

Reaction score

So what are decent socks? I've considered insoles but that may make my issue worse as with the Cheaneys it's the left shoe that is giving me pain as its bending, the leather is pushing into the knuckle of my big toe. The other shoes are giving me sore soles due to the lack of cushion.

My trainers are fine, apart from the ones that don't offer proper arch support.

Really depends on what you find appropriate to wear with dress shoes. I, also, don't know just how much room there is between the top of your foot and the shoe itself. So anything more than a liner sock may make you unable to properly put on the shoe.

Socks are the way to go, rather than "Gel inserts". Those can get nasty with leather shoes, if not taken care of.

You might want to try looking through https://www.foxsox.com/catalog/shoponline.aspx and search for something that will fit the situation appropriately.

The above posters also give good advice, too. :D So you should make sure everything else is okay before you buy socks.

Last edited:

SoleFreak

Reaction score

Have you considered maybe seeing a podiatrist? It may be that you are prone to rolling your feet (pronation/supination), or have some other undiagnosed problem. Leather dress shoes are a lot less forgiving of these issues than trainers.

Yes have seen a podiatrist in the past who advised that I do some calf strengthening excercies which I found weird as I work out on the regular with resistance and that includes doing a complete workout on my legs!! Was also advised to buy dress shoes with a slightly thicker sole to provide more shock absorption (was wearing my Hugo boss shoes at the time). It's a shame none of these proper shoe brands offer a line of shoe that incorporates a more cushioned insole something similar to what you find in Clarks shoes for those that know about them.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poor fit, did you buy them in a bricks and mortar shop or simply take a punt getting the right shoes on line?

SoleFreak

Reaction score
Poor fit, did you buy them in a bricks and mortar shop or simply take a punt getting the right shoes on line?

Nah the Cheaneys are a good fit bar the left shoe digging into my top knuckle. And yes they were bought at a Cheaney store here in the UK.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah the Cheaneys are a good fit bar the left shoe digging into my top knuckle. And yes they were bought at a Cheaney store here in the UK.

Really? Because there are two usual causes for what you described: (i) you have not yet broken the shoe in; or (ii) the shoe is too long for you, which is why it is flexing/bending so significantly at your toes. It may fit width wise, but is the ball of your foot where it should be (at the widest part of the shoe)?

SoleFreak

Reaction score
Really? Because there are two usual causes for what you described: (i) you have not yet broken the shoe in; or (ii) the shoe is too long for you, which is why it is flexing/bending so significantly at your toes. It may fit width wise, but is the ball of your foot where it should be (at the widest part of the shoe)?

If the shoes were too long then surely I'd be experiencing the issue on both feet? But I'm not, its just the left shoe. However, it could be that they are not broken in, today was the 3rd wear. Was told by the salesman that I should give it 6 wears before bringing them back in for the shoe to be stretched so will see how I get on.

starro

Reaction score
If the shoes were too long then surely I'd be experiencing the issue on both feet? But I'm not, its just the left shoe. However, it could be that they are not broken in, today was the 3rd wear. Was told by the salesman that I should give it 6 wears before bringing them back in for the shoe to be stretched so will see how I get on.

Did you get both feet measured? Are they the same size? Typically people's left and right feet do not match, but with RTW shoes we have little choice but buy the size of the larger foot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads