• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do people buy J.Crew?

smoothie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
I bought one of the 'ludlow jackets' from there. The sleeves were two inches too long. The jacket was fused. The lapel button was a keyhole shaped button. The lapel was folded at the wrong place. It was a ************* all around.

So.....why'd you buy it??
musicboohoo[1].gif

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by smoothie
So.....why'd you buy it??
musicboohoo[1].gif

A person with nominal intelligence would assume from the post that I'd bought it from a catalog or online.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A person with nominal intelligence would assume from the post that I'd bought it from a catalog or online.

The same person would assume a $265 sportcoat to be fused.

Also, J Crew isn't always cheap. Their Breton shirt, for instance, is $85, when the Breton Shirt Company only wants thirty pounds for their superb product.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not terrible stuff, but it's somewhat overpriced for what it is. It's not for poor folks at all. You can get much better stuff at their price points, especially sweaters. Decent label in some ways, better than any other mall brand, but pretty crappy price point given what it is.

Incidentally, their overly thin lapels and short jackets are really ridiculous looking. I can wait for that trend to go away.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rather have J. Crew over Banana Republic any day.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
The same person would assume a $265 sportcoat to be fused.

Also, J Crew isn't always cheap. Their Breton shirt, for instance, is $85, when the Breton Shirt Company only wants thirty pounds for their superb product.

Seriously. What did you expect? Garbage is cheap. In fact, I have a bag of garbage downstairs in my kitchen that I'll give you for free, you don't even have to pay me for it.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A person with even less than nominal intelligence could assume from life experience that cheap clothes bought from a catalog or on-line are not the best clothes being made.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZON_JR
A person with even less than nominal intelligence could assume from life experience that cheap clothes bought from a catalog or on-line are not the best clothes being made.

bingo!

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZON_JR
This

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That being said, they do serve their purpose..Everyone isn't of the baller status! Just don't expect canvassed suits/jackets for $200!

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
It's the gateway for Ralph Lauren.
Perhaps it is very true. They (J.Crew) are starting to sell merchandise made by Alden, Crockett and Belstaff in their stores, hoping that the presence of quality merch will somehow rub-off onto the rest of their Chinese garbage. There is one more step left for J.Crew to take as a company it is to remove the other companie's tags and put their own instead and they would become the Second Greatest Fashion Designer of Amurika after the mighty Ralph Lipschitz. P.S. I had a misfortune to buy one of their Merino sweaters and it is ready for a trash bag after one season. I wore it may be 3 times and it is stretched horribly around cuffs and fuzzy all over. Garbage in garbage out.

jabreal00

Reaction score
J-Crew is decent. I got a pair of slim fitting cords. I love the fit. At $75 I don't think po' folks or even college students would pay for that price point. However, it's not >$150, so one can buy on a whim. It seems to be of pretty good quality. I'd never get a suit from them though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads