• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are magazine models look like young boys?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe you're looking at the wrong company's ads, I don't see Charvet, Brioni or Canali touting young boys wearing their clothing. That being said I haven't seen many ads from any of the companies so I could easily be wrong, but the ones I have seen are nothing like what you've described.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Maybe you're looking at the wrong company's ads, I don't see Charvet, Brioni or Canali touting young boys wearing their clothing. That being said I haven't seen many ads from any of the companies so I could easily be wrong, but the ones I have seen are nothing like what you've described.

I've never seen a Charvet ad, and all the Brioni ads involve airplanes.

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Yah gays are pervs

Nah, just you.....

quote Socal2NYC:
"That's like saying you won't rim a girl because you don't want to get blood in your mouth.

I've rimmed hundreds of asses and have not had a visit from Willy Wonka. "

rotflmao.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gay are not more perverted than others (i'm an equal opportunity kind of man) but they do have a very recognizable aesthetics,like it or not...

It is a bit of a statement but i can recognize a gay designer touch in 95% of their creations...It doesn't make me a homophobic by stating the obvious.....
The ephebe look has been around since the Greek canon in sculpture for example...Thin muscular bodies and innocent faces....

It has been around for few thousands of years and what we do have is the modern twist of this look...

mattjames

Reaction score
I have to question the logic in using younger men to promote items not specifically aimed at that demographic. I think men tend to look up to older men and look down on those who are younger, to a certain extent at least. As an example, think of how many boys want to be James Bond compared with men who want to be...well, I can't think of a young male icon.
I respond much more favourably to adverts featuring men my own age or older, and I think I'm far from alone in this. I don't want to buy into a brand that I associate with boys. If I look at the ads and see only people noticeably younger than I am, I'm going to question whether the product is right for me.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mattjames
If I look at the ads and see only people noticeably younger than I am, I'm going to question whether the product is right for me.

Then maybe it isn't? Not all brands are for everyone. For example, Dior Homme uses (or at least used during Hedi's era) very young models because they looked best for that aesthetic. It's just an artistic choice.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Younger A-sexual men/boys can attract different sensitivities....

The look is working on the gay market (essential to certain brands) ,on the teen female who does find them gorgeous and will want the boyfriend to look like that, on the male teenager himself who wants to look like that ,on the older women who do not feel sexually related to these youg men and so on...

If you can impose a certain aesthetic on a teenger ,the symbolism attached to that particular vision will stay with him all his life....
I have grown up with a love for dandies like Bryan Ferry or David Bowie and it is still part of my fashion sensitivity...

I still love the black sexual combo of the nineties and the use of very dark colours ...

mmm

Reaction score
I dont buy that it has anything to do with gays in the fashion industry. If that were true this aesthetic would have been prevalent long ago. The same thing happened on the womens side as well, teh lez? Probably not.

s4usea

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer

Have you seen the Canali ad in this month's Esquire? The model can't be more than 18 on a good day. As an aside, in the first 50 pages of ads in this month's Esquire the only model who looks old enough to buy a drink in a bar is in the Tommy Bahama ad.

I dont buy that it has anything to do with gays in the fashion industry. If that were true this aesthetic would have been prevalent long ago. The same thing happened on the womens side as well, teh lez? Probably not.
First off, it's always been there for woman models and you'll find them as young as 12 gracing the ad's of fashion mags going back to the 80's. An argument can be made that young woman are less threatening sexually...

And the models for male models have always followed whatever aesthetic gays were into at the time, from the Marlboro man to the heroin look. Right now the people who run the industry are into twinks, so everywhere you see the twink look.

How else can you explain Thom Browne?

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I've never seen a Charvet ad, and all the Brioni ads involve airplanes.

Brioni adds also involve Cars, uniform fetish and chins.

2isi9v9.jpg

v3eo00.jpg

2zh1v0i.jpg

I think Isaia looks a bit pervert.

wedgehead98

Reaction score
I agree with you...if Clooney is wearing a well done suit (when isn't he?) I'm much more interested...

I have to question the logic in using younger men to promote items not specifically aimed at that demographic. I think men tend to look up to older men and look down on those who are younger, to a certain extent at least. As an example, think of how many boys want to be James Bond compared with men who want to be...well, I can't think of a young male icon.
I respond much more favourably to adverts featuring men my own age or older, and I think I'm far from alone in this. I don't want to buy into a brand that I associate with boys. If I look at the ads and see only people noticeably younger than I am, I'm going to question whether the product is right for me.

wedgehead98

Reaction score
Also - check out ads in Best Life magazine...while they'll have a few with young, young men, they also do a great job with 30's/40's/50's men wearing fantastic suits and clothing.

By the way - Best Life is definitely targeted at the 30's/40's married men demographic. Lots of articles on health, fatherhood, fidelity, etc., without being preachy.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
Brioni adds also involve Cars, uniform fetish and chins.

2isi9v9.jpg

v3eo00.jpg

2zh1v0i.jpg

I think Isaia looks a bit pervert.

Yes, it involves a lot of status objects, which is not surprising.

Isaia has a rather bad photographic scheme. It isn't done in good taste as some perverse ads were, such a Helmut Newton or Guy Bourdin. It looks mediocre and second-rate.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our culture worships youth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads