• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes good flat front wool pants?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by style from the heartland
Does Hugo Boss excel at pants, despite SF's relative disdain for their fused suits? Or is this a price point relativity issue, applicable to odd pants?
Their pants fit great if you want a more contemporary fit (trimmer fitting than most brands aimed at older people, but not too tight.) The fabrics run the full range from crap to pretty nice. Every season they do a few pants in pure virgin wool with a little bit of a sheen to it, which I'm always on the lookout for. I've had several pairs of boss pants and never had the fabric wear out. But I do take special care to avoid boss pants containing any sort of synthetic blend (they seem to be much more commonly sold in the USA than in other countries.) I have experienced fabrics wearing through on other pants, some more expensive than Boss. I've tried many other pricier brands, and they occasionally make something I like. But I find that Boss is a pretty safe bet for my preferences in terms of fit and fabric (provided it's the right fabric.) I'm sure other people will disagree with me, but I don't think quality of construction is quite as big a deal and as day-and-night with pants as it is with jackets. That's why companies always charge for more for jackets than they do for pants.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will +1 the Boss pants as well for their fit which is very good off the rack for most and perfect with minor tailoring. Can't comment on the longevity, but I hope it's good because I have 4 pairs that I rotate every week to work. I would try to find them on sale, mostly because you can.

This has got to be the single largest outpouring of Hugo Boss support in SF history.

newinny

Reaction score
I thought I'd chime in just because of my experiences this weekend. I was looking around nyc for some wool pants for around $200 each. I went into Bloomingdale's and tried on some Hugo Boss/Canali, they were all too bulky for my taste or over 200.

So I moved on to Banana Republic and pick ed up some pants there for 150; the quality might not be the best but the fit was better than anything I had tried on all day. Any pants tailors in new york a la CEGO?

ophidian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
As far as slim-fitting, and fit generally, I don't recall the OP saying he was slim or wanted slim-fitting FF, but just FFs.

Anyway, I'd say go to NM or Saks and try on a bunch of stuff. Brooks Bros sales would be good too, but don't pay full price.

Slim fitting was a surprisingly good guess actually given my lack of detail. Sometimes it can be dodgy given that I have a comparatively small hip / waist area with large thighs but I have a lot less problems with dress pants than with jeans in that regard.

Side note - holy recommendations batman. I seem to be trying to drink from the proverbial fire hose with all this content to digest. Sounds like a weekend problem (and thread subscribed
thumbs-up.gif
).

Thanks,
Chris

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what's the general opinion on Theory pants. I know they don't get a lot of love over on SWAD or this board.

I only have experience with one or two Theory shirts which I think are pretty nicely shaped, although the stretch cotton is not as luxurious as the shirting on my finer dress shirts.

My understanding, though, is that Theory started as a "pants company". And I k now most of their stuff is slim/flat. Anybody?

andyw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by style from the heartland
Does Hugo Boss excel at pants, despite SF's relative disdain for their fused suits? Or is this a price point relativity issue, applicable to odd pants?

I agree, hate the HB suits because of the poor construction

Originally Posted by edmorel
I think it would be a good idea if those that gave recs would mention what else they have worn/owned for comparative purposes.

In addition to the HB which I offered praise; other trousers I wear are:
1) Etro - nice construction but not consistent on fit from wool to cotton and ther rise is a tad high;
2) Canali - tends to run between sizes so the 30 is a little tight and 31, when I can find it a little too big;
3) Zegna - legs too pegged versus thigh, but very nice fabric;
4) Incotex - limited experience and a little too pricey
5) HF - rise too high, legs too baggy;
6) Polo BL- close second to the HB, but only the trousers made in Italy

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
This has got to be the single largest outpouring of Hugo Boss support in SF history.

This could be a turning point in SF history. An end to the snarkiness, hyperbole, brand snobbery, and most importantly the ****.

I wish Eric Glennie was here to see this.
smile.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Not really. Methinks many HB fans haven't tried out the better offerings. An example:

Originally Posted by andyw
4) Incotex - limited experience and a little too pricey

1. Even though Incotexes can always be had for $129 at a forum favorite, ShopTheFinest, and less if you look on eBay/sales.
2. HB pants are touted mostly for the (slimmer) cut, and not so much the construction. Incotex offers a variety of cuts from very slim to regular (again, Ian's ShopTheFinest has all the measurements for your reference) with superior construction.

Oh, for folks with access to Uniqlo stores: try out their Vintage Chinos. For ~$40 a pop, they've received absolutely fantastic reviews over at Streetwear & Denim forum and Superfuture (another fashion message board geared toward a much younger crowd of denim enthusiasts). I know for a fact that forum member Joel_Cairo thinks very highly of them.

noVA99

Reaction score
I'll give a positive review for Hugo. I own 3 pairs and like the fit of the pants, not too baggy( as opposed to a couple of CKs I have). Nice fit for a toned tall body. I haven't had any issues with the construction of the pants and I wear them regularly.

I have a couple of CKs (made in Canada) that I find are too baggy. I have a pair of Donna Karan that I like (wide leg) but they drape nice. 1 pair of Valentino that are a bit wider than the Hugo. and 1 pair of Zanellas (Benny model) that I love, about the same cut as my Hugo.

For suits, it's hard to find the suit pants in flat fronts unless you buy some fashion forward label like D&G, Prada, etc. Rarely do I see Canali, or Hickey, or other high end 'traditional' suits with flat front suit pants. I do have a Hickey flat front suit that I picked up at their warehouse sale a couple years ago. If I go to Nordstrom or Bloomingdales and they have a Zegna or Canali suit with pleats on sale for half off, I would pick that up in a heartbeat rather than skip over it.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just scored my first pair of flat front Incotex Peter model (ebay) and I was surprised that they were not super slim. The leg opening is about 9" on a 32. They look pretty normal to me, though perhaps my tailor will remark (again) that they are slim in the legs.

What all do you people think of the Joseph A Bank flat fronts? How do they compare to Lands' End?

LE I won't buy because there's too much variety in the cut. "Tailored fit" in one model will be good, in another it's way too full. I suppose I could always return unsatisfactory trousers, so maybe I should reconsider LE.

My experience with JAB sportcoats (my perception is they are all exactly the same cut) leads me to think that all of their flat front pants will have the exact same cut. Is that true?

I hate to open the JAB can of worms, but I think their pants are on sale now.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'ver seen and touched a lot of Hugo Boss pants. I think they are very nice $50 pants. If you are spending $150-200 on HB pants, you are really missing out on some offerings that are vastly superior to HB, whether you are looking for slim or fuller cut pants.

The guy who asked about a Cego like pants tailor, Dario Rodriguez. He works out of Staten Island but will visit you. Has been used by a lot fo people here and makes pants for LS tailors. Cost is $75 plus your fabric, I think.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I've always been afraid to try on Incotex. It looks like my calves will not fit through the top of the leg, let alone my thighs. Will sizing up a waist size make a difference there?

I have to size up on Incotex and I'm not exactly a brute, at 6'3" and 180 lbs. This may be obvious, but I'd suggest buying trousers to fit your thighs and having the waist/seat tailored. I actually do this with jeans.

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I'ver seen and touched a lot of Hugo Boss pants. I think they are very nice $50 pants. If you are spending $150-200 on HB pants, you are really missing out on some offerings that are vastly superior to HB, whether you are looking for slim or fuller cut pants.

The guy who asked about a Cego like pants tailor, Dario Rodriguez. He works out of Staten Island but will visit you. Has been used by a lot fo people here and makes pants for LS tailors. Cost is $75 plus your fabric, I think.

I've used Dario through LS tailors (Izzy). It costs more through Izzy, about $195, but I don't live in NYC and pay for the convenience. A search here can give a more detailed description of the buying experience. I like the two pants that I've bought, and Izzy is a good guy.

rando

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^ Not really. Methinks many HB fans haven't tried out the better offerings. An example:

1. Even though Incotexes can always be had for $129 at a forum favorite, ShopTheFinest, and less if you look on eBay/sales.
2. HB pants are touted mostly for the (slimmer) cut, and not so much the construction. Incotex offers a variety of cuts from very slim to regular (again, Ian's ShopTheFinest has all the measurements for your reference) with superior construction.

Oh, for folks with access to Uniqlo stores: try out their Vintage Chinos. For ~$40 a pop, they've received absolutely fantastic reviews over at Streetwear & Denim forum and Superfuture (another fashion message board geared toward a much younger crowd of denim enthusiasts). I know for a fact that forum member Joel_Cairo thinks very highly of them.

The ones on shopthefinest are 100% cotton right now. Are they just out of stock of wool ones for incotex??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads