• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How has Mercer, or Panta not come up in the OCBD conversation?

I wear my Mercers with a jacket and no tie. Sometimes I'll wear my Panta ties with them. There you have it.

Sugar, I don't like collar stays because if you need them you might as well wear a stiffer collar (which I kinda hate, too). But that's just me... Perhaps it's just that cardboard like collars remind me of the cheaper department store garbage.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm. For me, stays allow me to get a softer collar and have the option of sharpening up the look whenever I want. Sometimes I use them, most times I don't.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear unfused spread collared shirts almost everyday made with a soft interlining. I don't need starch or collar stays to keep them from curling without a tie.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not really talking about curling, more about the expression of the collar. Without stays, it gets a soft S curve over the course of the day. With stays, it's a gentle arc from the button to the lapel.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hate when collar edges are perfectly straight. This is how Charvet is cutting mine (on the right):

46f6f2e9_image.jpeg

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just looks wrong...like a mistake was made...or that it is very poorly fitting.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I hate when collar edges are perfectly straight. This is how Charvet is cutting mine (on the right):

46f6f2e9_image.jpeg

I pay more attention to the curve of the outer edge that lies over the collar bone. Prefer a shaped edge that contours with your shoulder and chest. Never did like the look of this straight cut edge.

Would raise the collar band height in front a bit to better accommodate your tie knot.

Advise from a friend

Last edited:

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I pay more attention to the curve of the outer edge that lies over the collar bone. Prefer a shaped edge that contours with your shoulder and chest. Never did like the look of this straight cut edge. Advise from a friend

I have some pictures of the collars for one of the shirts you made for me that illustrates both this and how collar stays can be awesome. I will see if I can find them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads