• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

Xenon

Reaction score

I am curious if a suit like this can be in good taste. Unfortunately my closet has plenty of these type of things. I could wish I had fewer "interesting" clothes and more staples. Ah we'll, lesson learned. Shirt is ecru.

can you tell me who makes this suit cloth?

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I await your groupthink criticisms with giddy anticipation:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It's fine. FooBot say too blue, but I don't mind. Manton say push down square, show less.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Prince, to me, is always one of the best dressed people on the planet. I have nothing to criticize about that outfit (could do without the pocketsquare) but to me, its classic Prince Charles, very well dressed, clothes that fit very well and nothing so in your face as that you see the clothes rather then the man. Basically, the exact opposite of what is popular in men's clothing as per the blogosphere/magazines/forums etc.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you reckon HRH's shirt and tie could be thought of in terms of
foo.gif
's post on the Italian background -- the idea that the internet wants to simplify that down to two solids, but in practice it's more patterned? Or are the patterns here too strong for that?

Of course, there's probably no less Italian context in the world, but can it be thought of in an similar manner?

My guess of, course, is that this thread is pretty opposed to wearing only one color,* but I have to admit this is nice enough for it. I sort of feel like all the blue is better than 3/4s blue and then one unrelated thing, but I could certainly be convinced otherwise.

*Edit: shows what I know.

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Frankly, I don't think I see it as being as much of a problem as Foo does.
The fact I never noticed it is telling, but I like to know why certain things are done, so I'll just strike a conversation with my tailor. On a more substantive note, I had my subsequent coats lengthened a fraction, plus made with slightly wider lapels, however.

The latter point was difficult. The cutter seemed to think that wide lapels would swallow my frame up, and he preferred more balance.

Good comparison of Foo's Neapolitan tailoring vs English tailoring below (I never specified anything on my blazer except to insist for a shorter length, swappable buttons, and smth professional). In retrospect, I think I cld have gone a little longer.

What I meant was; ignorance is bliss. You over thought it. As you were.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

The Prince, to me, is always one of the best dressed people on the planet. I have nothing to criticize about that outfit (could do without the pocketsquare) but to me, its classic Prince Charles, very well dressed, clothes that fit very well and nothing so in your face as that you see the clothes rather then the man. Basically, the exact opposite of what is popular in men's clothing as per the blogosphere/magazines/forums etc.

Dumbo has the charisma of a box of lasagna and he's wearing a small collar shirt with a big DB, I like the square+suit though.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dumbo has the charisma of a box of lasagna and he's wearing a small collar shirt with a big DB, I like the square+suit though.

I know that in France you need to be nauseously unctuous, sleazy, and a sex pest to be pass as "charismatic", so I'll put your words down to cultural relativism.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I hate the creased sleeves and I can't stand the way he buttons both buttons on his coat. Other than that, i agree with ed, he almost always looks good.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the slightly stretched out hip pockets from stuffing his hands in them all the time. Like a boss.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hate the creased sleeves and I can't stand the way he buttons both buttons on his coat. Other than that, i agree with ed, he almost always looks good.

im in this boat.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ahhh "all these chicks clapping and they ain't using hands..." , now I get it, rather cheeky!

I don't get the creases either but I guess that's his thing. I like all the buttons being done on his coat (not that I would do it),in some ways to me its the ultimate symbol of his comfort in the suit. He buttons the thing up, goes about his life doing everything without ever unbuttoning/rebuttoning the jacket. The jacket has to be cut to allow for that type of mobility I would think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads