• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

white tie with DJ

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton, or anybody with a knowledge of recent sartorial history, when did the dread notch-lapel DJ resurface? I get the sense it's been back for quite a while now. For instance, a book put out by Esquire entitled Good Grooming for Men in 1969 cites the notch lapel as being appropriate for a DJ. They even having a drawing of one. However, the other particulars are rather cringe-worthy, e.g., flapped hacking pockets!

Amy Vanderbildt in a 1967 edition of her handbook of etiquette cites the notch lapel as being correct for a DJ, but I have the sense she may have been a little dim on the nice distinction betwee a notch and peak lapel.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I started becoming aware of the DJ in the mid '80s and the notch was around. This was California so maybe we were more ignorant than most. I've never known a world without it. At an even in Manhattan on Wednesday, I saw tons of them.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, a white tie is always tainted in my youthful memory from the time my mother bought me (and both my younger brothers) infelicitously large, white velvet clip-ons in the deepest, darkest early 70s ...
uhoh.gif

Originally Posted by Manton
I actually have all the gear for white tie except an actual tailcoat. I have had occasion to wear it about half a dozen times over more than 20 years. Rented the tails each time. Felt like a scrounge but I knew that buying was a waste of money.

I should be so lucky. I have not been invited to even one black tie event, let alone numerous white tie events, in my entire life.

Such is the fate of the provincial, eh?

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will C.
Very insightful. However, frock coats were not worn with knee breeches.
Fine. I guess it will have to be the toga then. Does anyone know what shoes are appropriate? I was thinking #8 shell.

Will C.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Fine. I guess it will have to be the toga then. Does anyone know what shoes are appropriate? I was thinking #8 shell.
Woven-leather sandals?... whatever suits you best.

Will C.

Reaction score
I just scanned over this thread again and realised what I'd missed. Reagan speechwriter faults Obama for lack of sartorial savoir-faire in the well-precedented white tie / DJ combo, while interpreting Bush as an example of old-money nonchalance with regard to clothes (he's a 'rugged outdoorsman' just like Prince Phillip, with a proper Ivy League indifference to fashion). Obama is the arriviste, and Bush is the preppie who can't be bothered with elegance because he knows it so well. And the Reagan speechwriter had no ulterior motives in presenting this view, none at all.
laugh.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I just scanned over this thread again and realised what I'd missed. Reagan speechwriter faults Obama for lack of sartorial savoir-faire in the well-precedented white tie / DJ combo, while interpreting Bush as an example of old-money nonchalance with regard to clothes (he's a 'rugged outdoorsman' just like Prince Phillip, with a proper Ivy League indifference to fashion). Obama is the arriviste, and Bush is the preppie who can't be bothered with elegance because he knows it so well. And the Reagan speechwriter had no ulterior motives in presenting this view, none at all.
laugh.gif

Sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about.

clubman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Well, Nick, when you lament that your work "will never meet with much US approval (even acknowledgement of its existence)" mightn't the fact that your work is Anglocentric to point of self-parody contribute in some small measure to this state of affairs?

Nonetheless, I did enjoy both your books greatly.

Hee hee! They are all meant to be in the category of humour! The first one derived from an occasion when I was slyly typing out my ideal wardrode (with notes), and my Good Lady, passing by, snarked "You should publish that!". I thought : "That's a thought!" and sent the draft to an agent who, (amazingly), liked it and he went on to sell the idea to a publisher, which has gone on to publish Book II and is going on tp publish the forthcoming Book III. It is true that they are Anglocentric; but then, I am British - and there we are! I am very pleased that you liked the books. they represent my ideas on things and, without fear or favour, state a case for passing things.

clubman

Reaction score
Manton, or anybody with a knowledge of recent sartorial history, when did the dread notch-lapel DJ resurface? I get the sense it's been back for quite a while now. For instance, a book put out by Esquire entitled Good Grooming for Men in 1969 cites the notch lapel as being appropriate for a DJ. They even having a drawing of one. However, the other particulars are rather cringe-worthy, e.g., flapped hacking pockets! Amy Vanderbildt in a 1967 edition of her handbook of etiquette cites the notch lapel as being correct for a DJ, but I have the sense she may have been a little dim on the nice distinction betwee a notch and peak lapel.
There's a picture of Jack Warner in a step lapel DJ/tux and black tie with white vest here (Oscar night for My Fair Lady, in 1964) : http://www.gonemovies.com/www/MyWebF...LadyCukor2.jpg Part of the confusion arises from the use of 'notch' lapel and 'step' lapel. As I have said before, a notch lapel is, strictly, any lapel with a ****, distinguishing it from a shawl lapel. The Harrison Court Guides make this reasonably clear.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
laugh.gif

You read too much into this.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clubman
Hee hee! They are all meant to be in the category of humour! The first one derived from an occasion when I was slyly typing out my ideal wardrode (with notes), and my Good Lady, passing by, snarked "You should publish that!". I thought : "That's a thought!" and sent the draft to an agent who, (amazingly), liked it and he went on to sell the idea to a publisher, which has gone on to publish Book II and is going on tp publish the forthcoming Book III. It is true that they are Anglocentric; but then, I am British - and there we are! I am very pleased that you liked the books. they represent my ideas on things and, without fear or favour, state a case for passing things.

What is Book III going to be about? Book II has already started me smoking my pipes more often!

clubman

Reaction score
What is Book III going to be about? Book II has already started me smoking my pipes more often!

Book III is sub-titled "A Short Guide To The Sporting Life" and is about Town and country sports: drinking; shootin', huntin', fishin', hawkin', hackin'; cards; dancing; cheese-rolling; hurling; rose-growing and smelilng - and even a little bit about the first steam passenger railway: another oddball book, for oddballs! Just get aboard and enjoy the ride!!!!!!

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Are you going to include ferreting? I suspect at least as many Britons engage in that pursuit as they do hawking, which of course is slightly different from falconry, the latter being practiced by a falconer, the former by an austringer.

(And I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first time the word "austringer" has been used in the history of SF!)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads