• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which pea coat color?

FredTheWorm

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Sterlingwear Authentic pea coat to fill a void in my outwear selection.

I have many winter type jackets, parkas, vests, etc., about what you'd expect living in Colorado, but they are a bit too casual. I also have a wool topcoat for wear on those rare occasions when I have to suit up. So I'm looking for something in-between.

I'm thinking the pea coat will be just a little dressier than a ski parka to wear with biz casual and with dressed up jeans.
autmens.jpg

so
1) I'm not so sure about the style - I just don't see too many other men wearing them here (which is not a bad thing) - Perhaps you can suggest some other type of wool jacket?

2) For biz casual I usually wear nice khaki's and gray wool trousers (often pleated) and occasionally dark navy slacks (plus button-down shirts, no tie). So I'm thinking Black wool - but will that work with khaki?

Thanks!

ps-If it matters, I'm an older gentleman, short and thin, and my coworkers dress like they will be cleaning out their garages later.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since you wear gray trousers, I'd go with the black. Also, the charcoal won't be available for several months. I just canceled my charcoal order to get a black one, which they keep in stock.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got the one from RL in black. Its pretty awesome, has a huge collar, when popped up looks insaine.

Also bought one from BR this year in charcoal but i dont like it much, its longer then normal and the shoulders have too much padding.

Id go with the black its more universal.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be the voice of dissent. I bought a charcoal gray Sterlingwear peacoat precisely because it's so versatile. It goes with khaki, navy, denim, and any shade of gray except one that matches it exactly (In fact, I wore mine today with jeans). Since my charcoal trousers are dressier, I typically wear a sports coat with them. In contrast, I don't think black looks especially good with navy or khaki. I _am_ biased, however, because black looks a little severe on me, so I don't wear it near my face.

tiecollector is correct that you'll need to wait if you order charcoal, since they don't keep it in stock.

alebrady

Reaction score
i am somewhat in the market for a pea coat myself. after thinking about what color for quite some time (i was somewhat torn between blue and black - never really considered grey) i think i have decided to go with a very dark navy....there's just something, in my mind, to the notion of getting a classic wardrobe piece in its classic color.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would anyone else out there consider wearing a peacoat in dark brown? It's a casual coat: it should have a casual colour.
SX761-094zoom1.jpg

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H&M has some awesome peacoats. My friend just bought one for $130. I wish I had bought the H&M one instead of sterlingwear, but the sterlingwear is authentic and made in USA, so that is worth it.

kakemono

Reaction score
I almost bought a RL peacoat earlier, but decided on a car coat instead (also from RL). I love it. I think the poeple there at the RL store were looking at me wierd eventually when I kept putting on 4 different coats on for about 45 minutes and looking in the mirror. I think this is the one, though I'm not 100% sure I ended up going with black - though they only had black and grew... i wish I could have seen a charcoal one come to think of it.

unbridled_id

Reaction score
I suppose if you don't want to wait then get the standard black (very dark blue). But the sterlingwear in the oxford grey is very nice, it is a deep grey and I think it looks far better than standard black. I own the navigator in grey. Oh, and it took me from the end of March to the beginning of May to get mine which drove me batty. Now they have a high demand due to the Christmas rush and military needs so I suppose the wait would be quite long.

presence

Reaction score
The medium brown is nice to look at. It stands out in a gentle subtle way. If only you can remove some of the buttons. It is just not my taste.

Mayday981

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I meant can you wear a peacoat over a suit jacket? Would it look funny? I'm going to work next year and I want to get something that would look right in office conditions.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mayday981
I'm sorry, I meant can you wear a peacoat over a suit jacket? Would it look funny? I'm going to work next year and I want to get something that would look right in office conditions.

I wouldn't. It's too short in length and probably too snug as well. It just doesn't look right. I'd recommend something 3/4 length that's meant to be worn over a suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads