• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which pea coat color?

Mayday981

Reaction score
What type of jacket would you recommend? Like a trench coat or top coat? Any chance anything in the $200-300 range?

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mayday981
What type of jacket would you recommend? Like a trench coat or top coat? Any chance anything in the $200-300 range?
Yes, something like that. I'm in the same boat and am also looking for a 3/4 overcoat around that price that isn't total crap. If you find something, hell, let me know!

Mayday981

Reaction score
I know what you mean. Everything I see that are top coats or 3/4 length are like 500 dollars or above!
frown.gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mine is Navy.

It is the classic and perfect color for a peacoat. Goes with jeans and gray trousers as well.

A peacot, originally a military jacket, is very versatile, but It is more on the casual side.

I wear it with jeans, or odd trousers, never with a suit. for suits there are other dressier options.

I'd not wear it in green or brown. The peacoat I wore when doing the military service was green.... so I avoid it for civil use.

Green Lantern

Reaction score
I believe a peacoat is a peacoat not a style of coat. A Duffle coat is more of a style of coat. If you say peacoat you are describing a db coat of blue with anchor insignia buttons which hits just below the buns. A duffle coat is hooded with bone buttons and is 3/4 but of various collegiate colors. Some clothing items have a basis but no distinct form.

Mayday981

Reaction score
So a duffel coat would look right with a suit? But wouldn't the hood look kind of funny with it on?

Green Lantern

Reaction score
I was commenting on style rather than pairing. Neither Peacoat or Duffle would look good with suit. First, I would always go 3/4 or longer with a suit. With the 3/4 length coat could be single or db. Also, when I think of Peacoat or Duffle I vision a plush turtleneck underneath.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Green Lantern
I believe a peacoat is a peacoat not a style of coat. A Duffle coat is more of a style of coat. If you say peacoat you are describing a db coat of blue with anchor insignia buttons which hits just below the buns.
Then what would you call coats that are cut exactly the same as a peacoat but in a different colour of fabric or with buttons lacking an anchor insignia? (It's not like "blazer" where you can say "sport coat" or "odd jacket" instead - don't be pedantic.) MayDay, there are dozens of threads in the archives about coats. Here's one of the biggest: http://styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=21122

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Probably blue, but my favorite is moleskin brown.

I'd agree. Navy first then a brown.

Green Lantern

Reaction score
I like what Wiki says:
Today the style is considered a classic, and peacoats are now worn by all manner of individuals, not just professional sailors.

Note that few of the jackets seen on the street are genuine navy surplus; being a classic garment, it is frequently available from retailers, though often with small design changes that reflect the current fashion trends. The standard for historical pea coats was 30 oz. wool, but presently coats are made from 22-32 oz. wool.[2]

Can I say that something looks like a pea coat but isn't? The pedantic police don't allow that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads