• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Francisco

Reaction score
I think both are similar to quality.

Lascote tends to shrink a lot. Good thing is I was told Liverpool fans like to wear it to Anfield.
smile.gif

Polo collars looks out of shape after a few wash.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kentishman
Certainly in the UK Lacoste has very negative connotations with 'chavs' and hooliganism
Originally Posted by Francisco
Lascote tends to shrink a lot. Good thing is I was told Liverpool fans like to wear it to Anfield.
sly.gif
Football fans used to go on thieving rampages whilst following their teams in Europe; so Liverpool fans (amongst others) would come back loaded with 1980's European designer gear, including Lacoste, Sergio Tacchni, Kappa, Stone Island, Benetton etc. Look up 'casual culture' or similar for more info.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whichever fit you best should be your choice, regardless of their perceived reputation.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Totally true, but that wasn't the question!
smile.gif

Racing Green

Reaction score
I like and wear both, don't wear any other polos. Both labels are iconic but I say that as a football fan.
laugh.gif

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Better than all of the above is a a plain solid pique two-button polo shirt with rib knit arm bands and collar and a tennis tail, NO LOGO. The cheaper, the better. Just bought 3 for $9.99 each at Old Navy.

Lacoste might be the only non-problematic logo, but the hem on their classic polos is awful.

Ideal would be a PRL classic fit polo shirt without logo. I've heard from people who have traveled to Bangladesh (where many of these are made) that it is easy to find black market logo-free PRL polos outside the factory for $1 each or so. It almost seems worth the ticket.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Malo or Zanone

Mr.P

Reaction score
Having owned a large number of both for quite a number of years, I can say that there really isn't much of a difference in quality.

Someone mentioned that the PRL polo shirts fade and lose shape. With regards to the fading - it's part of their charm, they fade, and the fabric becomes much softer; it has that preppy appeal that an oxford shirt washed 1000 times would have, or a pair of Nantucket reds bathed in sea-water and sun-faded after hours on a yacht. As to the fabric losing shape, I have not had that experience.

Lacoste polo shirts do lose some colour (albeit very little and at a much slower pace than the PRL ones), but the fabric never gets as soft, which I don't like. They do, however, have a much more flattering cut, especially when untucked, then the PRL ones. In fact, a PRL shirt (unless it's custom slim-fit), should always be tucked in.

Having said that, I own both and will continue to own both. You can't go wrong with a black Lacoste polo for any very casual event, but at the same time the well-washed light blue PRL polo is perfect for a day out on the boat.

dropout5

Reaction score
i have many of each and i like them both but think i slightly favor the RL over the Lacoste, only because the Lacoste shirts shrink in the lenth too much over time. i really like the RL interlock polo, very soft and a great fit for me. i also wear BB polos which i like as well.

Hehlol

Reaction score
Do you have 2 tabs open, one on Lacoste.com and one on RL.com and you're waiting to see which one is more exclusive? Also, I'd say most anything that's available at Filene's or in any average mall isn't 'high-end'. Abercrombie costs more than both of these, so I guess it's higher-end.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dropout5
not sure why the OP is getting so much crap. it's not like he said these are the most high end shirts in the world, he simple wanted a relative comparison between the two to see which is viewed as higher end.

Agreed.

"These both suck, buy ___ polos" is not a relevant answer to this post.

OldSchoolCharm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hany
Lacoste is the best polo in terms of quality. Great fabric, mother of pearl buttons and good fits.

PRL have lower quality fabric that looses colour fast and unsightly plastic buttons.

The choice for me is Lacoste. It just makes sense for casual wear and I've replaced my t-shirts by Lacoste polos.

I went through the same process of replacing t-shirts with polos. I mostly buy Lacoste and Ralph Lauren. I think they are the two best known polos that everyone associates with high end premium quality. Everyone knows the logos. Lacoste has a perception of wealth and success.

Burberry is not well known. Ask 100 random people to identify the logo and most can not.

Abercrombie is associated with young high school aged children. It probably is not a good idea to wear if you're over the age of 20.

Hugo Boss polos is another one that falls in the Burberry category. May be nice, but not many people can identify what it is.

Lacoste probably has the best public perception of expensive and classic. Ralph Lauren comes in a close second.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoreyHalye