• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which martial art is most effective for self defense?

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still stand by my belief that a good whack of a solid steel club to the head is more likely to knock someone out than a hastily thrown right hand.

M1TSGUR1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm interested in taking some boxing lessons. Can anyone recommend a good place in NYC for someone that's never boxed before?

Thanks

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M1TSGUR1
I'm interested in taking some boxing lessons. Can anyone recommend a good place in NYC for someone that's never boxed before?

Thanks

Might be easier to start your own thread.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Kali is awesome if you have a stick

taught me how to swing fast and hard, but who has finds solid sticks or metal bars lying around these days...

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm suprised no one has mentioned Origami, your attacker will fold in seconds...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Kali is awesome if you have a stick

taught me how to swing fast and hard, but who has finds solid sticks or metal bars lying around these days...

My scooter does dual duty.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
to tell you the truth, i havent been in a fight in over 4 years, and the last one i was in was on the basketball court. if you dont want to get into a fight, you probably wont. i can think of dozens of times i probably should have fought someone for what they did, or had good reason to, but just never wanted to. ive also stopped countless fights with people im with and others in the club and other circumstances. fighting just isnt worth it, and really isnt much fun. when i go to a club i sometimes when im pretty drunk ill dance like crazy. ive stepped on millions of toes, elbowed countless people in the head and in the face, bumped into people etc. but i always apologize and make sure things are okay etc, and people dont generally get mad at me. i think its pathetic the people who find any reason to get into a fight. theres tons of times where i have an oppurtunity to get into a fight, and the guy is puny as hell and chubby and im pretty sure i could take him. but i always say in my head, if this guy was 6'5 250, you wouldn want to fight him, so dont fight him now. and i treat everyone as if i was fighting some beast and dont treat people differently. if i was angry enough that i would fight that 6'5, 250 dude, then im going to fight him, if i dont want to fight that big guy, i wont fight the little guy. i hate the people who are quick to get into fights with guys who they feel are easy prey, but will let anything slide with someone theyre intimidated by. i hate those people. and thats my rant!

+1 I was kidding with my other post, i think the most effective way to deal with this is to walk away if possible.

Being untrained and overdressed I find that being smart about where i go and who i'm with are effective.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
+1 I was kidding with my other post, i think the most effective way to deal with this is to walk away if possible.

Being untrained and overdressed I find that being smart about where i go and who i'm with are effective.

well recently i have got into a few street fights. all in self defence/helping friends out. lets just say boxing hsnt failed me! knock on wood!

jeff in vancouver

Reaction score

Quote:
Originally Posted by West24 Being untrained and overdressed I find that being smart about where i go and who i'm with are effective.
Always works for me. I drink at my private club, when I do go to bars I am long gone before they close. It has been 15 years since I was even close to needing self defense of any kind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads