• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whey vs. Milk

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
This thread has turned me off milk and whey forever.
frown.gif

Yeah, but why's body is fierce.
(no ****)

adversity04

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
That's a thicker bar. I didn't feel like changing the weights so I used straps because I can't hook grip thick bars.
I was trying to give an explanation for why you could lift so much IF your arms are small and grip strength weak. That IS the point of straps, right? If you can do it with a thinner bar, awesome; the video just showed you pulling with straps and that's what beasty was judging you by and hence my response.

It is because of joint angles....volumes for yourself.
Good job, you lifted a lot of weigh - much more than I can. I would still cringe at the form if I saw it at that weight or 135. My problem with it was that as your butt rose your shoulders barely did so it became a much longer pull. It's just a way people get hurt and if you don't think so then I don't know what to say.

Please link me to information about the joint angles - it'll be a good read.

Digestion != stomach.
Sorry, I'll include saliva, the small intestine, and anything else in the process next time. My point still remains that blood flow to the area is heavily reduced and the process is near stopped. If you want to argue about that, I'll dig up more information, but let's put semantics aside.

I pointed out two things that I saw as wrong, should I go into your physical appearance and start spewing off other nonsense like beasty so I can drag you down?
sarcasm.gif

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adversity04
I pointed out two things that I saw as wrong, should I go into your physical appearance and start spewing off other nonsense like beasty so I can drag you down?
sarcasm.gif

It aint nonsense. Everything I said about why ring true. His theories are half baked and his physique is a by product of half baked notions. His physique is nothing to write home about. BTW if you lift in that half baked way, you can be as "˜strong' as why but the effect is only temporary because you would be a step away from back injury.

If why could just eat humble pie and do what we say, his physique would be better and he would be stronger to boot. But people here are just damn stubborn, like a mule.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
You must be joking me! You are afraid of your arms getting too big and hence you don't train them? That must be the most lame excuse here since Eason's "˜I focus on Muay Thai now'.

BTW what is the point of lifting 2.5 times your bodyweight if you look like the *****. I would rather lift 0.5 times my bodyweight and look like Jay. I bet most would want that. You have obviously lost the plot long time ago together with your harebrained theories.

Also, dirty mirror or not, if aint got it, you aint got it.

I wouldn't want that. That's the problem with so many routines; they make you look like you have more than you really have. There is a saying in Texas that sums that up, "Big hat, no cattle". Being weaker than you appear just means you're carrying useless weight around.

Noir.

Reaction score
has anyone hit on the point that lactose is ridiculous in spiking insulin, and hence is very good post workout in conjunction with other faster absorbing nutrients? TBH the casein/whey isn't imo the reason milk is good. Lactose is low GI (GI doesn't really have anything to do with insulin secretion. Typically high GI correlates with high insulin release, but this isn't always the case. Lactose is a perfect example.) so it digests rather slowly, but it still spikes insulin. Milk + Protein + some other simple sugars is a pretty decent post workout.

If someone avoids protein powder for whatever reason (though I really can't see why. some don't taste amazing but everyone would look good if it was easy), chocolate milk is a pretty damn good substitute (sugars + some protein). I forget where I've read some of this stuff but the amount of protein you should ingest post workout is less important than the carbohydrates (but you should certainly have some IMO. I take it as a meal so do (bw*1.5)/# of meals. generally 40-45g to keep it relatively simple (I put my powder into cups so I can grab and go when I need to). I suppose this would be because of the speed at which you accumulate glycogen and muscle.

For reference my post workout nutrition is generally:
2 scoops whey protein, 1.25 oz jelly beans (roughly 1/2 cup iirc? I don't have any right now
frown.gif
), and the remainder of my carb intake comes from either oatmeal if I put it in the shake or Rice if I'm hungry and want to eat. Typically after a workout I don't feel hungry.

Macros would ideally be 42.5g protein, between 80 & 132g carbs depending on if it's a high, moderate, or low carb day, and 25g of that being sugar. Of course it's silly to measure it out exactly unless you're getting ready for either a shoot or a show, so hit the rough amounts. (i.e. 2 scoops protein, water, however much oatmeal (btwn 1&3c) or rice. I can't do 3 cups of oats so I'll sit down and eat rice for whatever's left on high days.)

I don't drink milk because it gives me acne.

Also, when discussing peri-workout nutrition are we talking about post? Peri-workout I thought was "during" workout, and only really applies for endurance-esque events like triathlons, marathons, or bike races, etc where you're active long enough to require you to replenish some glycogen.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peri is before, during, and after.

Noir.

Reaction score
Interesting. I've always used Pre-, Peri-, and Post. I doubt that'll change and it's more specific that way
smile.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
****, didn;t why tell me he was disappointed by my pics?

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Noir.
Interesting. I've always used Pre-, Peri-, and Post. I doubt that'll change and it's more specific that way
smile.gif

Mine's more accurate since peri- means "around."
laugh.gif

Noir.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond
Mine's more accurate since peri- means "around."
laugh.gif

technically this is correct. But if you're talking to some lady who wants to lose 10 pounds and you tell her about post workout nutrition and you throw in peri referring to everything around and including the workout, she'll drink the damn gatorade while walking on her treadmill because she heard that's what you need to keep your energy levels up
crazy.gif
Reference peri to be all of it and bad things happen. the P's flow off the tongue so nicely though so pre, during, and post sound sucky and that makes me sad.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
****, didn;t why tell me he was disappointed by my pics?

Bahaha! This just shows how twisted the clown is.
His less than awesome body, he is impressed. Anyone else's including Vic's, he is disappointed.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Noir.
technically this is correct. But if you're talking to some lady who wants to lose 10 pounds and you tell her about post workout nutrition and you throw in peri referring to everything around and including the workout, she'll drink the damn gatorade while walking on her treadmill because she heard that's what you need to keep your energy levels up
crazy.gif

Reference peri to be all of it and bad things happen. the P's flow off the tongue so nicely though so pre, during, and post sound sucky and that makes me sad.

That's true, but I rarely talk nutrition with people who don't have a relatively decent amount of knowledge already. If I'm talking to that much of a newbie, I dumb it down even farther.

Speaking of Gatorade, I'm getting into the swing of triathlon training and have several 2+ hour cardio sessions in my future. What should I be drinking before and during? I'm thinking of going with Surge since it's always treated me well with lifting, but I know very little about nutrition for extended cardio. My typical cardio before now was intervals, soccer, and basketball.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I wouldn't want that. That's the problem with so many routines; they make you look like you have more than you really have. There is a saying in Texas that sums that up, "Big hat, no cattle". Being weaker than you appear just means you're carrying useless weight around.

I make the following submissions to you:

Bodybuilding is not about strength but looking good.

Although training for strength can also give you a bodybuilding look in part, a power lifter's routine does not strictly give you a bodybuilding look.

As such, if your goal is to look good, why is there a need to have something additional ie. strength.

Hence, if you master a routine that makes you look bigger than a bus but does not make you as strong as you look, why does it matter how strong you are? Its not as if you are called upon daily to deadlift and bench to show the people around you how strong you are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads