• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where Should I Buy A Rolex?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC

Agreed. I'd be quite happy to pay a small premium to buy something in person rather than over the internet. Something is distinctly unappealing to me about buying used watches.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Something is distinctly unappealing to me about buying used watches.
Well then, I guess we won't see you at any of the important auctions, since most of the watches are pre-owned.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Well then, I guess we won't see you at any of the important auctions, since most of the watches are pre-owned.

Nope. Don't wait up!
smile.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I'll take one off your hands. They wouldn't fit on your little wrists anyway.
The Omegas I sold, and my father wears the Rolex. The Omegas were gold-filled automatics. One of them was a rather desirable bumper.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly.

"Legal" fakers, declare clearly that their watches are fakes and contain a non-rolex movement, some fake-rolex movements are made in china others in Italy, there are even movements made in Le Locle Switzerland ( the mecca of horlogerie ).

But they deliver the fake with all "authentic-like" detailing, box, hologram, certificate etc.

On ebay you can see a large number of "authentic" rolex for sale with no reserve and low price. This is simply, fake rolexes with fake rolex-movements on them. beware.

To be sure you are getting a real rolex you should get it from an AD with papers of authenticity.

Originally Posted by edmorel
The movement for one. Rolex has a patented screw down crown that even the best fakes can't replicate, but sometimes you can't tell until you open the watch.

Jupiter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
Exactly.

To be sure you are getting a real rolex you should get it from an AD with papers of authenticity.

AGREED. I bought mine new from AD.

Too many fake watches/pieces out there so I decided for such a large investment not to take the risk.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Rolex dealer in my town got its walking papers after selling watches at 25%+ off retail. They have photos hanging in their store of all the musicians who've come to play a gig here and end up buying a Rolex 'cause the discount was so steep; hundreds of photos. I bought one for my ex (while we were still hitched) at about 25% off.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
The Rolex dealer in my town got its walking papers after selling watches at 25%+ off retail. They have photos hanging in their store of all the musicians who've come to play a gig here and end up buying a Rolex 'cause the discount was so steep; hundreds of photos. I bought one for my ex (while we were still hitched) at about 25% off.

Royal?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
This story confirms what I have read elsewhere -- that Rolex will strip a dealer of its AD status if it is caught selling Rolexes for a discount above a set level. The dealers who are selling Rolexes for 30-35% off are either selling fakes or willing to live dangerously.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
This story confirms what I have read elsewhere -- that Rolex will strip a dealer of its AD status if it is caught selling Rolexes for a discount above a set level. The dealers who are selling Rolexes for 30-35% off are either selling fakes or willing to live dangerously.

Not only Rolex, many other companies.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex may be able to set MSRP and control dealers who discount (although this does violate FTC rules). They cannot, however, control how much a dealer will offer for "trade-ins". Some Rolex dealers will sell the watch at full MSRP, but get a high trade-in value for a worthless watch. Just one way of beating the system, but staying within the "rules".

Twotone

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
How does setting a price on a luxury good violate the Federal Trade Comission?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads