• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where else can I find this suit?

nerdoldnerdith

Reaction score
I'm dying here. I like this suit so much, but I can't find it anywhere. I can't even find anything that remotely resembles it. It's driving me crazy.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simple. Go to any bespoke maker and ask them for a glen plaid in light blue with a sky blue overcheck. They will make it for you. Should cost anywhere between 2 and 6 thousand dollars.

nerdoldnerdith

Reaction score
A bespoke tailor can customize his own fabric?

On the more economical side, about how much would I expect to pay if I bought this piece and took it to a tailor to have the shoulders taken in about 2", the chest and waist taken in about 6", the sleeves shortened, the waist taken in, and the legs taken in and shortened? Basically, the whole thing would need to be rebuilt. . .

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, but every house has a few hundred cloths in their bunches and a tailor might have 8 different cloth houses available to them.

Assuming the suit is high enough quality that it can be re-tailored (certainly not likely) then you might expect to pay about $400.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Really suggest you not try to tailor the suit. Even if it were a solid suit, trying to do that much surgery on a suit is a recipe for disaster. A checked suit is going to be even harder because you have to worry about the patterns matching up. Unless you have a tailor you really trust who tells you he could perform such an operation, I wouldn't do it.

nerdoldnerdith

Reaction score
The thing is, as much as I don't want to have to retailor this oversized suit, it might be my only option if I am to get a suit with this type of pattern. I have thoroughly scoured the Internet for a similar pattern, but have come up with nothing.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, just speak to some tailors and find a merchant that makes a cloth like that. I've seen at least four from Dugdale Bros, and I'm certain that the other mills will have alternatives. It really isn't all that unusual or special.

Once you know where to get the cloth you can go about having some kind of Made to Measure or Bespoke made up. Buying a Canali suit in a size thats too big in every dimension and having it altered will run you over $1200. For that price you will get some very reasonable MTM work in the US and bespoke in Hong Kong.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A bespoke tailor can customize his own fabric?

On the more economical side, about how much would I expect to pay if I bought this piece and took it to a tailor to have the shoulders taken in about 2", the chest and waist taken in about 6", the sleeves shortened, the waist taken in, and the legs taken in and shortened? Basically, the whole thing would need to be rebuilt. . .

Such a scale of alteration would be impossible, get a sense of reality.

Your best suggestion is that to go to a bespoke tailor and select a similar cloth and have a suit made.

nerdoldnerdith

Reaction score
Well, I looked through the entire Dugdale Bros. cloth catalog and found nothing that resembles the light blue and navy plaid on that suit. I also looked through another online catalog that I found. I am having difficulty sourcing the catalogs online, as I'm not exactly sure what to search for. Does anyone have a list of online fabric catalogs that I could look through to find a suitable alternative? I don't just want to take your word for it that a pattern is going to be found somewhere, as it has proven to be very elusive on the Internet so far.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Search the cloth thread. A few months ago there was a push to get something like this made. I don't think it ended up being successful but there may be mention of similar fabrics.

On the quite expensive side, LL currently offers a somewhat similar fabric, although a bit more grey. I think it's one of their "Piuma" fabrics.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might be worth pausing here to make a note:

99% of threads on SF end in the phrase "go bespoke" because it will be better value/fit/luxury/ego. This is a prime example of why you should go bespoke for a genuine reason: because you have a design in mind that cannot be replicated off the rack. Naturally copying a product from a now sold-out line isn't exactly what bespoke was made for, it is a goal that has a chance of being met.

Buying bespoke won't make your grey worsted wool into the Golden Fleece (Greek Legend version, not Brooks Brothers version). It won't make your fat ass slim. It will allow you to put a blue PoW with blue Windowpane on your back.

Friends, Romans, countrymen; I declare this thread to be 1%.

nerdoldnerdith

Reaction score
If I were to locate a suitable fabric (there may be a decent one I found in The Cloth Thread), would I be able to order it, then take it to a tailor to have it made into a suit? It is my understanding that bespoke tailors generally have their own fabric selections, so I'm not sure if some will allow their customers to provide the material. Also, if I don't want to pay several thousand dollars for bespoke, would I be able to do the same thing for a cheaper made-to-measure alternative?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member