• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do you get your casual clothes?

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take a look at the LE Canvas line. Seems like there is some promising stuff there with a kind of preppy slim fit / cheaper version of Sid Mashburn. RE: SWD, there are some things in there that are OK, but it seems I have to go through image after image of this kind of stuff to find it:

WeuOs.jpg

Different strokes for different folks, but jesus
uhoh.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Paul Stuart & Ben Silver.

marg

Reaction score
check out the forum sponsor links in SW&D for some ideas...

i normally shop at nordstrom, j crew, brooks brothers for most things. jeans i wear are APC and Tellason, with Tellasons being amazing if the cut works for you.

sellahi22

Reaction score
I don't know why everybody is referring the OP to SW&D. He wants casual wear along the lines of Cucinelli, not workwear or goth ninja attire.

It's actually somewhat challenging to find stuff with the cucinelli/loro piana/etc. aesthetic that is good quality and not very expensive. You might find some stuff from designers one tier below, such as zegna, john varvatos, helmut lang, etc. Some RRL stuff that isn't overly workwear or country-western may work as well.

divitius

Reaction score
I think the LE Hyde Park tailored fit OCBD is a pretty good quality shirt for the money, and it can be worn with a sportcoat or with jeans with the sleeves rolled up for a casual look.

Knucklehead

Reaction score
+1 on the Hyde Park OCBD. I got my first one in a thrift store a few years ago and I've been buying them directly from LE since.

+1 on Club Monaco

Also, I think you should start thrifting. My favorite casual items were purchased at thrift stores in Boston, NY, and SF. These vintage items break up the middlebrow monotony of wearing shirts and pants from J Crew and the like.

bigbucky

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, great suggestions as usual!

Forgot about thrifting but definitely need to get back into that. maybe with that and some more of the designer type stuff mixed in and my **** will start looking presentable.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbucky
And all the business casual stuff on MC is usually BB or Land's End and it does make you look like you're playing golf.
Took a pic of what I was wearing today. It was very hot and I did a lot of driving, so excuse the wrinkles. It definitely makes me look like I'm playing golf, but I really don't care. I'm young, fit and confident, I can pull it off. Fit is everything to me, this pic was taken after half a day of driving, moving, sitting, etc and I didn't have to re-tuck the polo. I think the key to feeling good in casual wear is staying true to your style without going overboard.
8T8bO.jpg
polo: lands end canvas ($10) belt: ebay ($8) cotton trousers: j. crew ($75) socks: h&m ($3 ??) shoes: superga ($30)

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marg
check out the forum sponsor links in SW&D for some ideas...
i normally shop at nordstrom, j crew, brooks brothers for most things. jeans i wear are APC and Tellason, with Tellasons being amazing if the cut works for you.

Bolded...check out Epaulet. They have some really nice casual stuff.

bigbucky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
Bolded...check out Epaulet. They have some really nice casual stuff.
nice, just checked them out Now I just need to figure out a way to outsource this ****. There's gotta be someone I can pay in Hyderabad to comb these sites for stuff I want on sale.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
There is actually a streetwear and denim subforum
Please. From what I've seen of SW&D, casual is equated with teenage "hipster", and more often than not, weird. Just because I want to wear a good pair of jeans and t-shirt does not mean I want to look at skin-tight jeggings and weird Japanese tank tops that highlight people's moobs, errr, pecs. When it comes to casual, I see people like NYR or Aegulus on MC dressing more reasonably than anything I've seen on SW&D. Personally, I'm a fan of what JCrew has to offer, as well as Mabitex and RL's casual line. I think cotton trousers/khakis/denim with a polo shirt and casual shoes are much more casual than anything else I've seen -- acecow's example above is rather nice, and along the lines of what I prefer.

Unregistered

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Please. From what I've seen of SW&D, casual is equated with teenage "hipster", and more often than not, weird.

Just because I want to wear a good pair of jeans and t-shirt does not mean I want to look at skin-tight jeggings and weird Japanese tank tops that highlight people's moobs, errr, pecs.

Couldn't agree more. Strange bunch of people over there.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
It definitely makes me look like I'm playing golf
a fit Euro style golfer that is...as a competitive amateur golfer, I appreciate the clean look. Great look Ace

Originally Posted by Metlin
Personally, I'm a fan of what JCrew has to offer
+1.. because it fits and I prefer the simple style

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads