• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can I find comprehensive style information?

Diversification

Reaction score
So here's my question: where can I find comprehensive educational information on style, quality, brands, etc? I've lurked around these forums and haven't seen any "comprehensive" guides. In the various threads, I see a lot of individual opinions about 3 or so brands. One person will say their piece on a few brands, the next person will mention one or two different ones and the third person will contradict the prior two, and so on and so forth. This type of back and forth really leaves me largely uninformed at the end of the day.

I've tried the Googling till my fingers and eyes are sore, but it's incredibly inefficient and often takes me on horrific tangents.

Basically, I'm looking instructional guides on how to dress, what is quality, how to recognize it, what works and what doesn't, etc, etc, etc, eeetttccc. I also need to find comprehensive breakdowns of the different brands, and how they compare to each other. Obviously, this would need to be by garment type (I'm sure certain brands have top tier suits, but the same cannot be said of their ties... etc etc)

Can someone point me to where I may find reading materials like what I've described?

Last edited:

HLow

Reaction score
Honestly, i do not think that there could possibly be one single comprehensive thread or source that can give you insights on style, quality, fit, brands and make. IMO, you could watch mainstream TV shows like "Tim Gunn's Guide to style" and get to know your body shape as a basis to build your wardrobe. Next, visit the WAYWRN threads and see what people are wearing (what receives good feedback and which pieces get pissed upon).

If you are talking about quality, construction and make, search the thread for more background information and sites like these:

http://the-shoe-snob.blogspot.com/2011/07/shoes-part-1-construction.html
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/

I also think it takes time for your style to mature, do search for Digmeow's thread and see his style evolution. You will have to take the plunge and experiment to see what works for you. Post up pictures of what you wear and take critiques well and i suppose these will be better than any "definitive guides".

So here's my question: where can I find comprehensive educational information on style, quality, brands, etc? I've lurked around these forums and haven't seen any "comprehensive" guides. In the various threads, I see a lot of individual opinions about 3 or so brands. One person will say their piece on a few brands, the next person will mention one or two different ones and the third person will contradict the prior two, and so on and so forth. This type of back and forth really leaves me largely uninformed at the end of the day.

I've tried the Googling till my fingers and eyes are sore, but it's incredibly inefficient and often takes me on horrific tangents.

Basically, I'm looking instructional guides on how to dress, what is quality, how to recognize it, what works and what doesn't, etc, etc, etc, eeetttccc. I also need to find comprehensive breakdowns of the different brands, and how they compare to each other. Obviously, this would need to be by garment type (I'm sure certain brands have top tier suits, but the same cannot be said of their ties... etc etc)

Can someone point me to where I may find reading materials like what I've described?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
There is no guide. No one can do this work for you. Why do you think there are so many dissenting opinions on this forum? Because there is no right answer. Everyone has their own ideas and it takes experience to gain knowledge; I'm sorry to say that you cannot get this knowledge simply from reading and looking at pictures.

That said, reading and looking is where you should begin. Take everything you read and see with a grain of salt. Let your eye and impressions be your guide. Find what you really like, find what you really hate. Save pictures or articles you read that speak to your style or at least get you thinking or feeling creative.

And please do note I say "your style." Another mistake a lot of new members make is thinking that "SF-approved" is all that matters. In reality, having style is all about having confidence and personality. Something that brands you and makes women and men take notice when you walk into a room.

You have to start somewhere. All too often we see people come to SF and look for the quick fix. However, like everything in the world, it takes time, effort and practice to become knowledgeable. While there are a few people in the world that naturally have style or an eye for dressing well, there is not one among them that lucks into being knowledgeable.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After I finish my treatise on the role of random executions in population sustainability, I plan to write the penultimate book on men's style, my other field of expertise. Stay tuned.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As another newbie, I've been amazed how much I can learn by simply perusing the WAYWRN threads. Find a look you like and pay attention to the details - shoes, slacks, shirt, jacket, etc.. After 20 pages or so, you'll notice certain trends that you like best and have a more informed opinion on what you want to emulate. Then, all it takes are a few specific questions on where to find specific items and the best brands, and you're on your way.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing and no set of rules despite many trying to say to the contrary.

Good dressing is something you can learn by looking about you at what others may wear, reading these forums.

At the end f the day it is all a matter of personal opinion and taste as the various genuinely held opinions expressed here demonstrate. Your premise to the contrary is naive.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Buy "Gentleman" by Bernhard Roetzel and Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser.

These books are a good place to start and will provide good background knowledge and reference materials, but...

There is no guide. No one can do this work for you. Why do you think there are so many dissenting opinions on this forum? Because there is no right answer. Everyone has their own ideas and it takes experience to gain knowledge; I'm sorry to say that you cannot get this knowledge simply from reading and looking at pictures.
That said, reading and looking is where you should begin. Take everything you read and see with a grain of salt. Let your eye and impressions be your guide. Find what you really like, find what you really hate. Save pictures or articles you read that speak to your style or at least get you thinking or feeling creative.
And please do note I say "your style." Another mistake a lot of new members make is thinking that "SF-approved" is all that matters. In reality, having style is all about having confidence and personality. Something that brands you and makes women and men take notice when you walk into a room.
You have to start somewhere. All too often we see people come to SF and look for the quick fix. However, like everything in the world, it takes time, effort and practice to become knowledgeable. While there are a few people in the world that naturally have style or an eye for dressing well, there is not one among them that lucks into being knowledgeable.

...the post above is the difficult truth. There is no substitute for experience. Window shop and learn how to identify a canvassed jacket, a hand-sewn button-hole, and a Goodyear welted shoe. Buy something, see how it fits, perhaps ask for a critique here, gain some experience with how well it wears. Gradually you will become more knowledgeable and develop a style of your own. It's a process that takes years, but it's also a fun process.

Last edited:

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Buy "Gentleman" by Bernhard Roetzel and Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser.

This.

There is no such thing and no set of rules despite many trying to say to the contrary.
Good dressing is something you can learn by looking about you at what others may wear, reading these forums.
At the end f the day it is all a matter of personal opinion and taste as the various genuinely held opinions expressed here demonstrate. Your premise to the contrary is naive.

I disagree with the bold. I believe there are rules. One learns to break them as one gets more stylish (or, finds one's own style). You have to start somewhere, though.

I think the books are a good start but from there one needs to pound the pavements and, as GBR says, learn by looking on this (and other sites).

I've found that I can only do so much research but then one needs to go out and just try stuff. Ebay, as much as it sucks, will be your friend when stuff doesn't work out.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course there are rules, and even more guidelines. But nothing that applies so well to most individuals that it will automatically give them "style." Because physical characteristics, personality, circumstances, and so on vary. Hence, image consultants.... In-depth evaluations of brands are mostly anecdotal, for there simply are too many brands with constantly changing items and practices. Frankly, the concern for brands sounds excessive and maybe so does the interest in quality (beyond not buying overpriced junk). Fit and aesthetics matter more for most people.

Diversification

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies, this is very helpful. I am a fashion noob/wreck who is trying to evolve and although I've been putting in a lot of time reading and window shopping, I really wanted some feedback on how to proceed. You guys have already provided me with some great strategies, so thank you!

I think from here I'll try to structure my gameplan as follows:

1) Buy and read the books that were mentioned. As I understand it, those will give me a base knowledge to work off of. It's tough when I have no clue what people are talking about here, so I'm hoping that can catch me up to speed. If not I might have to search for more detailed books on the various pieces of a wardrobe or concepts that I might not be familiar with. I'll address that hurdle if it is relevant after reading those books.

2) I will being eye-f**king the WAYWRN threads to start getting a feel for some styles I might be a fan of.

3) I will hunt down the "stupid noob questions thread" that I think I saw floating around, and ask questions that will probably make you guys want to shoot me.

4) Once I have some more knowledge I'll resume my window shopping and hopefully figure out a way to begin evaluating different items, brands, etc.

Please keep the suggestions coming if you have any others! Thanks again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads