• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to avoid this thread until I finished watching Succession, which I did last night. I loved it. It is my second favorite HBO series of all time behind (naturally) The Wire. It perfectly captured the zeitgeist of the Trump years, with clear parallels between some of the characters and real individuals. It’s to imagine the show being made if Hillary had been elected President; we would have ended up with a profane version of The West Wing with the Roy kids battling to be chief of staff.

One thing that was never fully explained is
Why Shiv changed her vote at the last second. Does she hate Kendall more than Tom? Does she expect to be able to manipulate Tom behind the scenes?

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
Amb Chaser: I took a few days breather after Succession ended and then binged the entire series from the start--a couple episodes at a time. I then rewatched the entire thing from the beginning over a couple of weeks. There are a number of clues over the four seasons as to how it's going to turn out--they're very subtle, until you know the outcome, then on second viewing they're pretty blatant. Based on my second viewing there's only one other way it could've worked out:

No one in the family gets it is the only other way it would have made sense. Plus, don't forget Lear. Kendall was never going to get it.

That doesn't really explain your 'why?' I've got thoughts on that, too, but have to run right now.

PS: I think Succession tops The Wire, and The Wire is in my top 3 of TV shows. Succession doesn't have a 'union at the docks' season.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to avoid this thread until I finished watching Succession, which I did last night. I loved it. It is my second favorite HBO series of all time behind (naturally) The Wire. It perfectly captured the zeitgeist of the Trump years, with clear parallels between some of the characters and real individuals. It’s to imagine the show being made if Hillary had been elected President; we would have ended up with a profane version of The West Wing with the Roy kids battling to be chief of staff.

One thing that was never fully explained is
Why Shiv changed her vote at the last second. Does she hate Kendall more than Tom? Does she expect to be able to manipulate Tom behind the scenes?

I think the end of the show is related to one of Logan's last words to them: "You are not serious people." In reality if any of them were not named Roy, they would have no chance in climbing the corporate ladder, let alone being CEO.

The scene where Tom puts his hand out in the car and she places hers in his tells me that she is willing to submit to him, and knows her only reasonable next move is having his baby. I don't think she expects to manipulate Tom to achieve the upper hand necessarily. I think she is comfortable in her defeat, but also comfortable in the very large nest egg awaiting her from the buyout. She has accepted her role, and did not want to deal with the uncertainty that comes with a corporation run by Ken.

Amazing show.

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
My take on the Succession/Shiv topic at hand:

Shiv and Tom are still married and she is pregnant with Tom's baby. They had to a large degree hashed things out in their marriage. She was testing him by asking him if he could see a future together and although he said, "I don't know" he did not say, "Hell no!" There's no way she could trust Kendall to keep his word--just too many examples of him being two-faced. Shiv as part of a sibling triumvirate at the head of WR was more of gamble (for her) than the 'sure thing' of being Tom's wife while he's CEO of ATN. Two other things, briefly: She's the political consultant and news is where she could have a huge impact--as demonstrated by the Mencken decision--and she'll have more influence over Tom than she would over Kendall---wife vs sister....

Something like that....

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My fantasy plot for Succession season five:

Shiv conspires with Cousin Greg to overthrow Tom by turning over incriminating documents that Greg hid from Tom to the DOJ. Shiv expects to succeed Tom, but is double-crossed by Greg, who has garnered support for his ascension behind the scenes. At the moment of betrayal, Greg reveals that he was playing the long game the entire time and that his bumbling, eager to please, desperate for approval persona was an act to prevent others from viewing him as a threat. As Shiv is left speechless, Greg smirks and says, “Now f**k off, Shiv. God, I’ve waited so long to say that.”

Fade to black.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody watching or have watched Foundation? Wife and I caught the first two
episodes last night and I'm in so far.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watched a couple of youtube videos post last episode of Succession and they go into some deep detail which helped tie a bow on the whole series. The throw backs to even the first episode to even items earlier in the season I missed.

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
There is a lot of good analysis out there about Succession. The official podcast is quite good, but I didn't know about it until the series ended so haven't listened to much of it. YouTube, Reddit, tweets. That stuff is fun but who's got the time?

One of the issues with Succession is how long it took to drip out--4 ten episode seasons over 5 years-- easy to miss or forget little bits that on a first casual viewing might seem inconsequential. Pro tip: Watch the "Previously on" opener.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Til there is deep analysis of succession. I honestly never thought there was any mystery or ambiguity. Even shivs decision was extremely straightforward.

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
Agreed. If you have read Shakespeare (and realized how much of Succession was inspired by his plays) it was pretty easy to figure out what the arc was going to be--of course they didn't have to play it straight. Still, it was inspired execution.

That said, the story seemed to me more Kendall's than Logan's--so pick your plays and mash them up.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed Succession while watching but tend to think it became overrated. Crazy to think it's remotely comparable to The Wire.
C4738C7C-3CD0-4F13-BB5E-67D3C534B351.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads