• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear to court?

thetieguy

Reaction score
I have to go to court tomorrow to contest a speeding ticket and am guessing it is best to be as conservative as possible. A navy suit and white shirt with my most conservative tie is what I am planning to wear.

Reaction score
business casual will set you apart in traffic court; most folks similarly situated will be dressed like ali g. a conservative suit will make an impression and cause the judge to assume you're a member of the bar (I've seen it happen). I honestly think a suit works against you when contesting traffic tickets; the judge and police officer will each assume you have money to pay a hefty fine.

full disclosure: i am an attorney, but don't deal in this area professionally.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 11211
business casual will set you apart in traffic court; most folks similarly situated will be dressed like ali g. a conservative suit will make an impression and cause the judge to assume you're a member of the bar (I've seen it happen). I honestly think a suit works against you when contesting traffic tickets; the judge and police officer will each assume you have money to pay a hefty fine.

full disclosure: i am an attorney, but don't deal in this area professionally.

I agree.

If you wear a nice shirt, pants, and shoes you will be the nicest dressed 'civilian' in the courthouse.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was recently in the second hell known as Traffic Court, and I'll tell you that wearing a pair of $100 shoes would come off as posh. Of course, I did no such thing as I am always well-dressed, but the combination of offenses like public urination, a haphazard-looking metal detector manned by people who appeared mildly marsupialed and a building that looks like a Diane Arbus subject, made being well-dressed the only comfort. One would not wish the punishment of working there on their worst estranged relations.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Orange jumpsuit.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely wear a suit and tie to court. It is a sign of respect towards the judge and the court. The judge will recognize and respect this. It will most definitely set you apart from the rest of the pre-convicts. I was once mistaken as a law student sitting in on the proceedings for the day not by the judge but by the bailiff. Long story short I had sat in the wrong court room all day...oops.

the.chikor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
Orange jumpsuit.

of course shackled with spit mask!
laugh.gif

old64mb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
would come off as posh.

Which is actually what you want to avoid, since there is a big difference between showing respect and showing up the judge.

This topic came up in an unrelated discussion a few years back with a buddy of mine who did traffic court for a few years before moving on to doing gang prosecutions. I actually watched him perform during the former; it was hilarious.

It's the same concept that you face going into an interview. You could be the best dressed guy the place has ever seen, but there's a difference between style for the sake of style - and style that can be misinterpreted as something else. There was a legendary summer intern at my old firm once who pretty much made sure he was the utterly best dressed guy there I'd ever seen - and whose choice of fine clothing along with his insistence ordering dinner led to a stereotype that got him dinged just as much as his work.

Many judges and ADAs in traffic court (versus other settings) probably think fine and suit are two things to discuss in motions. You could luck out with those who are more conscious, but walk a fine line.

A suit is fine, but don't overwhelm them. And make sure to remember in many states that when you cross the LEO and ask him to recall the events, you don't have to let him read the notes on the ticket.
smile.gif

Frank Rizzo

Reaction score
I would wear a jacket and tie, but not a suit.

As already stated, you don't want to give the impression that you have a lot of money. You want to dress as though your appearance is important, but not as if you're trying to impress.

How about a navy coat with khaki-colored slacks?

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... and plain shoes ...

Saltwater Wrangler

Reaction score
Blazer with tie, but a suit might give the wrong impression towards the judge. A suit will also you find you lots of clients walking through the courthouse, from experience...

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's traffic court-- I say, no due process, no f'ing suit. Wear whatever you'd wear to work.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
It's traffic court-- I say, no due process, no f'ing suit. Wear whatever you'd wear to work.

+1

Represent yourself. You won't get away with playing someone else.

More important is your strategic plan.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd think twice before wearing a suit to traffic court, particularly if you are appearing in a poorer district than your own. You don't want to look like the rich out-of-towner. I made this mistake when I wore a suit to traffic court in Baltimore. Everyone else got a fine reduction and points removed--the judge increased my fine.

Khakis and a polo shirt will make you look neat, but not ostentatious. You want to look respectful, but also like you can't really afford a high fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads