• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to see/do in Atlanta, Tennessee, Kentucky aside from visiting Maker's Mark?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

Kentucky in April = Keeneland. It would be foolish of you to not go. And afterwards go to Jonathan at Gratz Park for dinner and make sure to order the Sea Scallop Hot Brown, their iteration of The Brown's Hot Brown (see Piob's post).

I'm headed over the first week of April and looks like Keeneland doesn't get rolling until that weekend. Too bad.

Looks like I already have a hot date in Nashville, though... Drunken SF meets are the best.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just FYI, not sure if yall know but the World of Coke re-launched in 2008. I went to the grand opening. It was neat. For one trip. I mean, yeah it is a company museum but Coke has done a ton and left a huge cultural imprint so its cool seeing that stuff. plus there is a bit of kitsch appeal with the Cokes of the world.

Strip clubs... well I don't patronize them and find them immoral but... Cheetah is kind of the gold standard I've been told. Magic City for a little chocolate lovin... Too bad you missed out on Girls-R-Fun. There is always this place.

OK here's what I will do. I understand somehow you can create customized google maps with markers, I will try to put one together tomorrow. It will include some of additions and I will explain some of the others.

Be prepared to drive however. Mass transit is bad and stuff if spread out. There's just no way around it.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Why is everyone named "Ed" on here just an Olympic-level perv? Love it.

I really appreciate the help, man. I'm not going to have long to spend in ATL, probably a full day, day and a half at the most since a lot of this trip is seeing and moving along.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
The Clermont Lounge is a must.

I quite like the BBQ at Fat Matt's Rib Shack.

The Varsity is an institution, but disgusting, in my opinion.

I always stayed at the Four Seasons in Midtown, and ate at South City Kitchen several times - quite liked it.

Lastly, I quite enjoyed Gladys Knight & Ron Winan's Chicken & Waffles. I suspect it might be a tourist trap, but the eats were good.

deepitm

Reaction score
Can anyone weigh in on where to eat in Nashville? Considering Arnold's, Loveless, Prince's Chicken Shack.

Also, anyone ever eaten at Mary Mac's Tea Room in ATL? Any other noteworthy BBQ other than Harold's and Fatt Matt's?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Looks like Fat Matt's will be on the list.

When Bourdain did "The Layover" in LA, he stopped at In-N-Out as soon as he got out of the airport; but the reviews on The Varsity have lead me to believe that it's more about nostalgia than actually getting good eats. Am I far off?

What if I asked where I could get the best burger in town? Yeah burger?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Hey, tell us a bit more about this "ambassador's barrel."

gouis

Reaction score
Looks like Fat Matt's will be on the list.
When Bourdain did "The Layover" in LA, he stopped at In-N-Out as soon as he got out of the airport; but the reviews on The Varsity have lead me to believe that it's more about nostalgia than actually getting good eats. Am I far off?
What if I asked where I could get the best burger in town? Yeah burger?

Ok so I'm basically a lurker here, but I can't let someone go to Fatt Matt's. That place is awful. They boil the ribs before slightly smoking/grilling it, so they don't develop a nice smokey flavor. It's also often underdone and chewy. There aren't amazing BBQ places in the city, but Fox Bros would be the best.

For burgers check our Farm Burger in Decatur or Buckhead, that's the best place in town. I also really enjoy Grindhouse which is near Piedmont Park.

gouis

Reaction score
Oh and for southern food, check out the Colonnade. A couple of food bloggers here recently tried to find the best fried chicken in the city and it easily won.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

Hey, tell us a bit more about this "ambassador's barrel."

About seven or eight years ago, I signed up to be a Maker's Mark ambassador. Part of the process is that they engrave your name (along with twenty or so others) onto a copper plaque on a barrel that's filled around the time you join. They email you a photo of the plaque and actually offer you a chance to buy a replica of it to hang on your wall.

Well, the idea is that after six to eight years when the bourbon's ready they offer you the chance to show up to the distillery and buy a bottle from your barrel. I haven't been told much more than that but I had to RSVP in a window only a couple of months long. I know it's customary to be able to dip your own bottle on the tour so I'd imagine I'll be doing that, too.

MM has always been really, really good at treating their "ambassadors" well. On top of sending an annual Christmas present (this year it was a holiday sweater for the bottle), they host a good number of events around the country including Kentucky Derby parties.

I was told I'd be receiving more in the mail from them regarding picking up the bottle so I'll pass along the info when I get it. I'm sort of expecting to see a big red wax carpet when I pull up to Loretto.

Ok so I'm basically a lurker here, but I can't let someone go to Fatt Matt's.  That place is awful. They boil the ribs before slightly smoking/grilling it, so they don't develop a nice smokey flavor.  It's also often underdone and chewy. There aren't amazing BBQ places in the city, but Fox Bros would be the best.

For burgers check our Farm Burger in Decatur or Buckhead, that's the best place in town.  I also really enjoy Grindhouse which is near Piedmont Park.

Oh and for southern food, check out the Colonnade.  A couple of food bloggers here recently tried to find the best fried chicken in the city and it easily won.

Thanks for the tips. I've been on a fried chicken bender lately so my ears perked up when ed mentioned Colonnade earlier.

Last edited:

deepitm

Reaction score
FYI, I heard about this burger http://www.holeman-finch.com/burger.html and I am gonna try to get my hands on it, despite its scarcity.

Also, might try Fresh Air BBQ or Old Clinton BBQ on the way to Savannah. If anyone has input on those, I'd like to hear.

Agree, it's good to know that Fat Matt's isn't that great. The Yelp reviews made me iffy on it.

Can anyone say whether or not the Dreamland locations in surrounding ATL are as good as the real deal in Tuscaloosa? If not as good, close?

Also, any shopping worth hitting up in ATL other than Sid?

gouis

Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to mention H&F when talking about burgers. They definitely have the best I've ever had, but it's hard to get. They sell out every day and the lines for Sunday brunch (in which they also serve it) can be crazy.

However I also think that it's the best restaurant in the city so net getting a burger could turn out to be a good thing.

This place Bocado basically makes the same exact burger (including getting bread from H&F) and they serve it for lunch and dinner every day.

hypoluxo

Reaction score
For eating in Nashville, I would recommend Whiskey Kitchen. It is in downtown Nashville. Plenty of reviews on Yelp. Most of the poor reviews/bitching revolve around having to wait for a table on a Tuesday night or the lack of a vegan menu :face palm:. The place is one of my favorites in Nashville.

The Neely's (Food Network) have a BBQ joint in Nashville. Being from Memphis myself, I find that finding good BBQ outside of Memphis is a real crap shoot. I love BBQ , and I am pretty forgiving, but damn, I've left too many places just shaking my head. For such an easy thing, too many just completely screw it up. For example, there are a couple of BBQ joints on Broadway in dt Nashville. Feel free to avoid them.

A walk down Broadway is usually interesting. Plenty of bars and live music. Look for the Bang This Twins while downtown. You can find them on youtube.

In Chattanooga, you should take the tram up to Lookout Mountain. The Tennessee Aquarium is worth the effort of you have the time.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics