• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Kef wireless is interesting because it also has a Toslink and USB connection for hifi input. Supposedly the builds in preamp, amp and DAC are optimized for the speaker. They include an app that lets you do all sorts of optimizing for the room and setup.

https://www.kefdirect.com/introduction-to-the-ls50w-part-2-the-dsp

Unfortunately no dealers near me have one to audition.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The Kef wireless is interesting because it also has a Toslink and USB connection for hifi input. Supposedly the builds in preamp, amp and DAC are optimized for the speaker. They include an app that lets you do all sorts of optimizing for the room and setup.

https://www.kefdirect.com/introduction-to-the-ls50w-part-2-the-dsp

Unfortunately no dealers near me have one to audition.

I would avoid that room setup jargon. Setup the room well, then listen to the speakers.

freshcutgrass

Reaction score

You say nothing improved in design of phono stages , what about opamps? If you not going to buy analog phono stage you probably end up with opamp-based today. I am pretty happy with my Grham Slee reflex C phono.

Op amps have always been available. Good results can be had regardless of the topology chosen. It's overall design and build quality that will determine sound qualities, as well as how well it matches your cartridge. How good is the power supply? Cartridge loading options? Headamp or step-up transformer for moving coil? Really good phono stages tend to be really expensive, and since op amps tend to be used for their low cost, they tend not to be part of cost-no-object designs. Doesn't mean they can't be. My DR-7's phono circuit design uses fets and bipolar transistors with zero overall feedback.

This is the dual phono set up each with MC or MM gain, impedance and capacitance loading options for my Classe DR-7's phono stage.

This is the remote power supply chassis just for the preamp (5 power supplies feeding a fully dual-mono circuit design)

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Op amps have always been available. Good results can be had regardless of the topology chosen. It's overall design and build quality that will determine sound qualities, as well as how well it matches your cartridge. How good is the power supply? Cartridge loading options? Headamp or step-up transformer for moving coil? Really good phono stages tend to be really expensive, and since op amps tend to be used for their low cost, they tend not to be part of cost-no-object designs. Doesn't mean they can't be.

I stumbled yesterday night on the forum discussion started by no other than Alan Shaw the owner of Harbeth speaker company. My god what he stated about MC carts and cost no object audio is heartbreaking....:) Basically , no one measures cart accurately not manufacturer, not dealers, not reviewers. They were showing graphs for very popular carts and they would show different output for the same cart depending on which group of people performed the measurements. There are so many variables in Vinyl reproduction that it is impossible to scientifically determine which one is better or worse objectively.
One thing he was very adamant about is that Vinyl as a medium is so outperformed by digital that anyone who is pursuing the Vinyl today is listening to heavily compromised approximation of original musical recording.
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-shaw-of-harbeth-on-audio-comparisons.327924/
http://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/110313-stop-worrying-about-amps-says-alan-shaw-from-harbeth/

Last edited:

freshcutgrass

Reaction score

There are so many variables in Vinyl reproduction that it is impossible to scientifically determine which one is better or worse objectively.

Good thing I have ears.

One thing he was very adamant about is that Vinyl as a medium is so outperformed by digital that anyone who is pursuing the Vinyl today is listening to heavily compromised approximation of original musical recording.

Sounds like a Trump supporter. There's merit and pitfalls in all mediums. I have no desire to "pick a side", which is why I indulge in digital, vinyl, cassette tape, analogue FM broadcast and 1/4" 2-track 15 IPS tape. One thing is certain, the cheapest and most convenient is by far the worst sounding (streaming Spotify to wireless ear buds through my phone).

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think he meant DSP which can make a huge difference in performance.

I understand. I don't like that sort of digital manipulation crap. I like the cleanest signal possible into a well appointed listen room.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The actives likely wouldn't be placed in an optimum position, therefore having a tool like DSP could make a huge difference. In another thread I touched on user friendliness in audio. I think active speakers with DSP are the way of the future.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The actives likely wouldn't be placed in an optimum position, therefore having a tool like DSP could make a huge difference. In another thread I touched on user friendliness in audio. I think active speakers with DSP are the way of the future.

ATC......

I understand. I don't like that sort of digital manipulation crap. I like the cleanest signal possible into a well appointed listen room.

What is your equipment chain? Not asking to criticize just curious what people have.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ATC......
What is your equipment chain? Not asking to criticize just curious what people have.

I have like 7 systems, so which one?

My main rig is SONOS > Mark Levinson DAC > Sugden pre-amp > McIntosh monoblocks > 2 pairs of KEF 107s side by side + 12" subwoofer.

Last edited:

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have like 7 systems, so which one?

My main rig is SONOS > Mark Levinson DAC > Sugden pre-amp > McIntosh monoblocks > 2 pairs of KEF 107s side by side + 12" subwoofer.

What is Sonos? Vintage speaks you say, did you upgrade the woofers or they are not dry yet? I recently 'discovered' XL speakers through Japanese site i visit, talking about JBLs and TADs , oh my what a sound those wardrobes produce, after they get refurbed, amazing.
There is no replacement for displacement.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What is Sonos? Vintage speaks you say, did you upgrade the woofers or they are not dry yet? I recently 'discovered' XL speakers through Japanese site i visit, talking about JBLs and TADs , oh my what a sound those wardrobes produce, after they get refurbed, amazing.
There is no replacement for displacement.

SONOS is a streaming tool. I have a network hard drive setup with all my music in a lossless format, from which SONOS creates a library and my iPad has an interface to play my music from.

SONOS has a bunch of stream services and online radio stuff but I dont use it.

I own 3 sets of KEF 107s (2 sets are 107/2). It's one of the finest speakers I've ever heard, and couldn't top them without spending big money. I've owned 6 pairs over the course of my life, and have changed the surrounds on the woofers in 3 pairs, a full day job. The 107/2 doesnt need it because they are rubber surrounds. The 107 design flaw was foam surrounds, but the kit is easily acquired to replace them.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

SONOS is a streaming tool. I have a network hard drive setup with all my music in a lossless format, from which SONOS creates a library and my iPad has an interface to play my music from.

SONOS has a bunch of stream services and online radio stuff but I dont use it.

I own 3 sets of KEF 107s (2 sets are 107/2). It's one of the finest speakers I've ever heard, and couldn't top them without spending big money. I've owned 6 pairs over the course of my life, and have changed the surrounds on the woofers in 3 pairs, a full day job. The 107/2 doesnt need it because they are rubber surrounds. The 107 design flaw was foam surrounds, but the kit is easily acquired to replace them.

Have you been happy with the SONOS in that role?
At work I use the streaming service to discover/check out new music before purchasing, but at home I mostly use it as you do -- to stream the music I own and have on a drive. Once in a rare while it gets a bit glitchy, and of course its functionality is dependant on my wifi. But overall I find it super convenient, especially since my current home situation isn't really conducive to keeping a bunch of vinyl and a turntable handy.

Last edited:

freshcutgrass

Reaction score

They also make some quite awful sounding wireless active speakers that people seem to be very impressed with. I fear this is the "way of the future" Habitant is referring to. I find this stuff lifestyle product, rather than hi fi.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Have you been happy with the SONOS in that role?
At work I use the streaming service to discover/check out new music before purchasing, but at home I mostly use it as you do -- to stream the music I own and have on a drive. Once in a rare while it gets a bit glitchy, and of course its functionality is dependant on my wifi. But overall I find it super convenient, especially since my current home situation isn't really conducive to keeping a bunch of vinyl and a turntable handy.

Yes. The only downside is they don't yet support higher resolution past 44k, which they eventually will (or might already).

They also make some quite awful sounding wireless active speakers that people seem to be very impressed with. I fear this is the "way of the future" Habitant is referring to. I find this stuff lifestyle product, rather than hi fi.

They do, and I don't own any of them. All I want is the network connection, the circuitry to convert it to TOSLINK, and the optical cable to my DAC.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dows