• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Right now, nothing too exotic for power protection. I had a NAIM Uniti whose display went dead (this is formerly a summer house, so I hadn't used it for a few months). No obvious reason, and I had thought it was unplugged, but there we are.

I also had a table radio become useless a decade before. And when I get sorted out enough, I will have to see if one of the components under the TV (cable box, I think) has had similar problems.

What conditioner did you end up using? I am sort of intrigued by the idea of power re-generators-- so if there is an actual break in the line, it will keep pushing clean AC into the power cords. But those can get to be expensive if you put amps as well as sources and preamps into them.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a discontinued PS Audio conditioner. One more thing I forgot to mention: the cheapest surge protectors use MOVs, which degrade every time a surge happens, so they need to be replaced eventually. The better conditioners use something (there are many different choices of tech here) better and more durable.

Also, nothing will protect against a lightning strike except unplugging it from the wall. From what your situation sounds like, the cause isn't very clear yet, so I wouldn't go all in on something super expensive especially not for a tabletop radio!

Regenerators are very expensive, big, and heavy, and are basically power amps that only output a 60 Hz sine wave (or more if you use one of the ones with programmable waveforms), but without a battery, they will cut out as soon as the power goes out. That's also not a device I would endorse immediately unless there's there's some very obvious problem you can hear.

edit: something like this looks good too, though I haven't used it. It uses MOVs for protection but will also shut down the power as soon as it detects an overvoltage so it doesn't rely just on the MOVs and should last longer. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ST_8_Power_Station.html/DFF/d10-v2-t1-xFUPST8

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:spam: :spam:

Any chance someone here is looking for an Otari reel-to-reel recorder? Selling my dad's. Dude in China bought and paid for it, checked to see how much it would cost to have it shipped to China and then....disappeared.

Don't want to lose more money to eBay fees. Will work out a deal for SFers.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm now currently running a Marantz 2240B with a modest pair of KLH 900B Bookshelf speakers and a Stanton T.50 TT

822E458C-5A2D-441D-BCFB-294A075CF0C7.png

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone on this thread is looking for an amazing set of amps and matching pre-amp drop me a line. I'm selling some super-high end vintage gear as I downsize my systems. I also have a more modest Marantz amp, receiver and CDC that I would like to sell as a set. It makes amazing sound with my Green Mountain Audio Eos HDx speakers (also for sale).

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 3 HomePods and god help me I love them so much.

Hey Siri, play Black Sabbath Heaven and Hell.

Hey Siri, set the living room light strip to blue.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Following on from my Yamaha GT-2000 TT, I also recently got a Yamaha CX2000 preamp with MX2000 poweramp. These are serious looking things. I'm actually having fun with the easy to use Denon RCD-CX1 all in one (it has SACD so that I can finally play the handful of SACDs I've picked up over the years) and a Technics SL-10 TT.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, I just bought a Luxman PD300 with working vacuum and a SAEC tonearm.

replaced my built Linn, not looking back.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve never seen the 555, but the 444 is absolutely a stunner, if you have the room.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
After finally buying a stylus force gauge, I set up my Yamaha GT-2000L 'properly'. Yay.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Any recommendations on beginner guides to vinyl setups? I have an inexpensive setup now. I want to learn more. I see mentions of things like stylus force gauges and the like. I'm pretty clueless, and my initial google searches yield things involving wireless speakers as frequent recommendations which doesn't seem quite right for analog audio.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads