• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What shirt collar do you like most?

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an adversion to button down and narrow point collars. Medium to wide italian spread styles are preferred. I can appreciate a club collar, but do not own many for whatever reason.

Azure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
Hilditch spread.
picture ?? thanks! I found all the IKE BEHAR collars! Cool http://www.onthefly.com/content/ike-...parisons/48416 He calls "Philliph" to what we call " Italian " collar here, one of the best, I guess it´s the medium spread one that one guy posted the picture before He calls " Scott" to the Kenzo collar I meant on this post! I guess it´s his Ike´s nomenglature or it is the american taylor school´s name?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a really thin neck and spread collars just look weird on me, especially with a tie

Patrician

Reaction score
Wide spread all the way.

Though I love clubs too.

Azure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Azure
picture ?? thanks!

I found all the IKE BEHAR collars! Cool http://www.onthefly.com/content/ike-...parisons/48416

He calls "Philliph" to what we call " Italian " collar here, one of the best, I guess it´s the medium spread one that one guy posted the picture before

He calls " Scott" to the Kenzo collar I meant on this post!

I guess it´s his Ike´s nomenglature or it is the american taylor school´s name?

Answer please?

Thanks!

CrackedCrab

Reaction score
I chose this collar, wide spread I guess you would call it, for all of my Charvet shirts and like it very much. Impromptu pic grabbed from the closet:
100_0224.jpg

There is another collar that I saw on Ben Silver, called the Kelly collar which I really like the looks of. Thinking of get a few:
Kellycollar.jpg

Balthazar

Reaction score
Not to contribute to the hero worship of iammatt on this board, but his non-button-down collars look just about perfect. His BDs aren't bad either.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
Medium spread with 3 inch points and a 1/2 inch of tie space.

+1 that's my ideal as well!

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
For daily use, wider than a point but narrower than a spread. Maybe a spread just short of 90deg, with points long enough to disappear under a jacket's lapels or a sweater's vee.

I also like buttondown collars.

This might be my biggest sartorial pet peeve. I don't think you should ever be able to see the points of a collar under a jacket. No matter how nice the rest of the outfit is this ruins it for me.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like and have all the variations, except button down. I do have hidden button down which is the only type of BD I like. I also don't own too many cutaway collars as I think that's too extreme. I also like the scalloped collar, sometimes called the Riley collar (after Pat Riley who popularized it when a coach for the Lakers). I like the variety of the different collar options.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The button down is very informal. Many refuse to wear it with a suit. My self included.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads