• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What SF approved item is your vote for the biggest waste of money ?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

MC I am suprised and saddened to read this. 4 years on SF hasn't cured of this self-consciousness?
Live brother, live! Wear with extreme confidence.
We'll teach those Toronto dullards out there one at a time if we have to. :slayer:

I totally get this.
In reality, most people just don't dress up outside the office.
So, wearing a PS can really start to call attention to yourself.
It goes from sharply dressed nonchalance to trying too hard.
I have a few basic PS's and have barely ever worn them, except to the most formal events.

Either way, for something 80% jammed in a pocket, I can't imagine spending more than a few bucks on it.
Good call.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Either way, for something 80% jammed in a pocket, I can't imagine spending more than a few bucks on it.

I suppose you have a point here. I think it's reasonable to pay £20-£30 for a PS with a really nice design, but when I see ones selling for like £60 I just think: "seriously?"

I mean, that's as much as some people spend on a suit :lol:

Last edited:

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a few basic PS's from tiebar when I first started on the clothing re-evolution.
I think they were $5-$8, based on size.
I assume they are poly, and am just fine by that.
Considering I never use them, it was a smart price/vendor from which to sample a few...
http://www.thetiebar.com/categoryPages/Solid_Pocket_Squares.asp#

I mean, wait, just use a free paper napkin from the salad bar. Goes great with collar tape.

Last edited:

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Because one is not in SW&D. Exotic Japanese denims and $300 designer sneakers don't really float my boat either. You do know there is more to MC than just suits, ties and expensive shoes IMO things that are just not relevant to life in Xilinhot and the surrounding grasslands. If I had an office job and was living in London or New York, no doubt my opinions and sartorial requirements would be somewhat different.

:puzzled:

Last edited:

LaymanX

Reaction score

I totally get this.
In reality, most people just don't dress up outside the office.
So, wearing a PS can really start to call attention to yourself.
It goes from sharply dressed nonchalance to trying too hard.
I have a few basic PS's and have barely ever worn them, except to the most formal events.

Good call.

I'm in Toronto, and I'm seeing more and more people wearing PS's now. At least in the Finance district.. mostly plain white linen with a Presidential fold for now, but I'm hoping this trend will continue to grow! As for 'confidence' in pulling off a pocket square, whenever I have any doubts I just remember Alan Flusser stating that PS's aren't optional when wearing a jacket. For some reason, that always stuck with me.

I have some cheap Club Monaco PS's, and I have some nice hand rolled Robert Talbott ones.. I can't go back to the cheap linen ones now that I got hooked on nice silk folds.

Where I cheap out: socks (just buy nice patterns that are versatile and have some color) and for some reason, pants. I want to start upgrading to Incotex-grade pants, but keep delaying it in lieu of other wardrobe components instead.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't get that either...

I say +1 for expensive socks. I'm fine with grey heather from H&M for nearly all circumstances. Black for (semi-)formal wear.

Definitely disagree with the slim fitting pants and pocket squares though. I wear both nearly every day.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was replying to Manofstyle85's "What are you doing here?" reply to my earlier post which went "$1000 slick leather soled shoes. Absolutely no benefit for me at all in having these in Xilinhot. Also no need for a suit and tie, as I don't work in banking and finance, real-estate or for the government." I took that he seems to think that MC is just about these types of attire and nothing else.

It's true, suits, ties and and expensive shoes are just not relevant to my situation, location, lifestyle and interests. i.e. they are 'SF Approved' items that I would not spend(waste) any money on. I'm NOT an executive and I don't live in the big city. I suspect many of the suit and tie aficionados of SF live in places like New York and have office or executive type jobs. I'm not really interested in much of the SW&D type gear either, e.g. designer sneakers.

BTW one can't even buy a decent suit or expensive shoes in this city.

Hopefully this clears up any misunderstandings. :)

Last edited:

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I was replying to Manofstyle85's "What are you doing here?" reply to my earlier post which went "$1000 slick leather soled shoes. Absolutely no benefit for me at all in having these in Xilinhot. Also no need for a suit and tie, as I don't work in banking and finance, real-estate or for the government." I took that he seems to think that MC is just about these types of attire and nothing else.

It's true, suits, ties and and expensive shoes are just not relevant to my situation, location, lifestyle and interests. i.e. they are 'SF Approved' items that I would not spend(waste) any money on. I'm NOT an executive and I don't live in the big city. I suspect many of the suit and tie aficionados of SF live in places like New York and have office or executive type jobs. I'm not really interested in much of the SW&D type gear either, e.g. designer sneakers.

Or Apple products :devil:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where I cheap out: socks (just buy nice patterns that are versatile and have some color) and for some reason, pants. I want to start upgrading to Incotex-grade pants, but keep delaying it in lieu of other wardrobe components instead.

The pants are totally worth it. Especially if you find them on discount. The unique designs stand out from the generic looking pants everyone wears. My Mabitex's ran $30 to $50. 1 year in, they are going strong, but the wool has started to pill. So, just don't expect the wool pants to last "forever" as per the common SF myth to justify spending $150+ on (used) pants. Just make sure the slim cut works for you. Let's just say I will never wear khakis again.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden. The cordovan is decent, but the poor quality control is disappointing. Current demand is outstripping their ability to make their wares properly, it seems.

kellgy

Reaction score

I understand the point of view. One cannot expect much western sartorial relevance living in an eastern communist country. There are more important concerns driving the reasons why 80% of the population live in abject poverty.

My biggest waste has been through the procurement of shoes. I have not yet found a fit that compares to the comfort of my Keens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads