• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will this work for my wedding? Charcoal Gray suit, white dress shirt with french cuffs cuff links, and a black grenandine. No clue on what shoes ?

LearnasIgo

Reaction score
I bought a charcoal gray suit from Kent Wang and I'm waiting for more info (what measurements to get and the whole process).

In the mean time what I do have is a white dress shirt from Kent wang with french cuffs. And in addition to that a black grenadine garza grossa tie. I understand this is a looser tie compared to the other grenadine ties, but I intially bought this because from the research I've done this is the most versatile tie I can get.

I don't wear suits often so that's also why I opted for a charcoal gray suit as opposed to a tuxedo.

Would the charcoal gray suit, white dress shirt with cuff links, and black grenadine tie be alright for my wedding?

I haven't settled on the shoes yet since all the dress shoes I own are brown, but I am planning to pick up a pair of black oxfords. I just don't know where to get them from yet. Any advice here as well?

I have read that allen edmonds has gone down in quality (All my dress shoes are from them) and so I'm looking elsewhere now.

I remember Meermin from a few years back, but it doesn't seem like they'd fit me and the exchange process could be cumbersome

Leiker

Reaction score
The quality of Allen Edmonds can be hit or miss but for the most part they're still good. Order a pair of black Park Avenue cap toes and exchange if there are any flaws. If your budget allows, Alden makes good shoes.

LearnasIgo

Reaction score
The quality of Allen Edmonds can be hit or miss but for the most part they're still good. Order a pair of black Park Avenue cap toes and exchange if there are any flaws. If your budget allows, Alden makes good shoes.
appreciate man. I'll check them out again. Will check the Alden site too. Thank you!

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quality control in a lot of manufacturers took a big hit with Covid and the aftermath. The benefit of sticking with AE is you know what fits you. Alden, Crockett and Jones are both alternatives that make a better shoe but you're also venturing into different lasts that you're not familiar with. There are other brands as well but I think since you already wear AE that's the best bet for the occasion.

jeremygo

Reaction score
I’m planning on wearing some AE black Park Aves for my wedding and think they look very good - but also possible I got lucky with the pair shipped to me. I also have a Kent Wang black grenadine tie and wear it all the time!

rjc149

Reaction score
AE has waded into the fray of appealing to millennials and zoomers, offering all kinds of "modern" styles at more affordable price points. Many of these "modern" offerings are made offshore, with cheaper production methods and build quality. I think this is where the growing stigma of AE's declining quality comes from -- they have lower-quality offerings, not necessarily that quality has been lowered across the board.

Their flagship dress shoes are still Goodyear welted and made in Wisconsin. They rarely go on sale, and when they do, it's a pretty token markdown.

Here's a GG video that concludes AE has not suffered any appreciable decline in quality over the past 50 years, despite obviously needing to modernize some production methods and cut some costs.

I have no experience with Meermin but I doubt they are on the same level as the AE flagship line. Anyone is welcome to disagree with this statement if they've had much better experience with Meermin than AE.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads