• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great films. Nothing but a Man frighteningly depicts the life of a black man in the South who experiences a few minor mishaps that cause his major trouble.

I think there's a lot more to A Raisin in the Sun that meets the eye. While it focuses on two generations of a black family, it also depicts Americans looking for their cultural identity and parents looking to achieve their dreams - in essence it depicts the daily struggle of many American families. The storyline however does lean a bit more on the fact that the family is black.

rossoz

Reaction score

Saw this recently. Solid flick. Good acting by the lead character. Basically the story of a contract killer for the mob.
3/5.
Thanks for the tip. I watched this from Netflix last night. I agree- 3/5 and interesting. I thought Winona was good, especially in the beginning. I looked up photos of the killer and his daughters- very scary.

Cheers

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks for the tip.  I watched this from Netflix last night. I agree- 3/5 and interesting.  I thought Winona was good, especially in the beginning.  I looked up photos of the killer and his daughters- very scary.

Cheers

:cheers:

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yet another fine Losey film. camera work, acting, directing, score, all top drawer. Losey should be much better appreciated than he is.
all but first 10' and final 20' in flashback but it works remarkably well.

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yet another fine Losey film. camera work, acting, directing, score, all top drawer. Losey should be much better appreciated than he is.
all but first 10' and final 20' in flashback but it works remarkably well.

Thanks, I will look into this director.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Movie has the wrong tone and the whole film was miscast. Book was way better by far (and that's not a standard 'book better than the movie' comment -- the movie is Hollywood and the book is about as British as it gets).

I did enjoy the film of High Fidelity, but it was very different from the book, with a different feel/vibe, and the book was very definitely better.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seven (?) part series done by BBC. It's on cable if you have it.

Don't have cable, so I'll have to look out for it on the ABC/iTunes/DVD.

Given the size of the book, I think that it's better dealt with as a mini-series. I think that Eddie Redmayne would have been good as Strange, but he's probably too expensive nowadays.

Roy Al

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Merchant of four season - Rainer Werner Fassbinder (1971)

After a misconduct Hans has to leave his job as a policeofficer and slides down the social ladder and must work a fruitmerchant, an occupation that his bourgeois family despises. He is unable to live up to the expectations from his surroundings, betrayed by his wife, whom he molest, but who can not leave him any more than he can live without her.

It is a movie where all the persons are in some kind of unhealthy and overdependent relation to each other, and everybody cheat or betray each other; often when they most try to get help and support. Hans and the others characters needs love and respect, but are so out of contact with their emotions, so emotional suppressed, that they are unable to get what they need. Instead Hans gets depressed, confused and violent, and in the end selfdestructive.

This is a topic that Fassbinder returned to in all his movies; the exploitation of feelings and the destructiveness of a society that doesn't let people live in accordance with their needs.
In this movie Fassbinder also explores the conflict from a child's perspective. He is often referring to childhood as formative years in his movies, but seldom portraits children. We can only fear how Hans daughter, Renate, is damaged of the violence and sexuality she is exposed to.

The movie is technically easy made. Straight told story, with character-instruction that is a bit styized, they are all a bit stiff and estranged. The cutting is somewhat strange too, since he cuts the scenes a little bit later than we would expect, making an slow and tardy effect. Still the movie is fresh and not dull.
Nice movie, sad as all he made. Certainy woth a peek.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads