• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What martial art should I learn?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
wow, that's awesome!

Yeah, on a rainy day when doing more traditional PE activities wasn't really in the cards, we'd try (sometimes successfully) to get him to break out his knives an nunchuks and what now.

I'm sure that now there would be a huge outcry about him having these "weapons" at school.

mizanation

Reaction score
that's crazy, he's like a living legend, many consider him to be the most knowledgable martial artist out there (whether that's true or not who knows). he was bruce lee's best and most trusted student--the heir apparent to the legacy of jeet kune do.

and he taught PE at your middle school. crazy. i wonder when he decided to be a fulltime martial arts legend?

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
so, what is so traditional about traditional martial arts?

the original, "traditional" purpose of martial arts was to be able to fight effectively. in that case, wouldn't martial arts like MMA or Muay Thai, be considered the true, "traditional" martial arts? after all, they are concerned with performance first.

muay thai is hundreds of years old, so, why isn't it considered a "traditional" martial art? it predates karate styles that are considered "traditional."

Yeah, "traditional" martial art isn't always the most helpful term. When I hear or use the term TMA, I generally think of it as meaning a martial art that has a fairly rigid ruleset and/or training methodology, practiced by people with a fair amount of pissiness about any messing with the recipe. On that same note I don't think age is a necessary criterion for being a TMA. When you think about the fact that except for some of the Okinawan styles, most of the karate being trained today is mid-20th century in origin, you wouldn't call karate a TMA on age alone. So much has been monkeyed with that a practitioner from the early 20th century (probably even Funakoshi himself) would take one look at the training in a modern dojo and ask WTF happened.

I think of MMA as being a training methodology rather than an a single discernable art (feel free to offer your thoughts on that), so for that reason alone I wouldn't call it a TMA.

Sifu

Reaction score
If you want traditional --- than exposing yourself to arts like Karate, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, etc. will suffice. However, these alone probably aren't much help in self-defense (real world fighting) at all.

You would have you find what is offered in your area if you want more fighting experience. Krav Maga is very good, and the methodology is very simple to grasp (in your 30's, and new to martial arts). Muay Thai and Ju Jitsu are good (depending on the school), but if you are able to find somebody to teach you MMA (mixed martial arts) than i suggest that. They are usually experienced fighters that will train you in actual fighting situations.

On the mental aspect, you can do tai chi or yoga on your own time.

My suggestion, expose yourself to many different martial arts and see what you like best.

Sifu

Reaction score
I just found this forum tonight, and I just found it a funny coincidence how my first post is in this thread, and my alias is Sifu
crackup[1].gif
completely not intentional.

mizanation

Reaction score
^^^ yeah, i thought that was ironic.

trained at chris haueter's house today for a semi-private lesson. finally felt first hand the slow crushing death of his pressure game. that guy is really ******* good.

he had two of his purple belts there who were good too.

all in all great day, but i'm sore as hell.

kanye3000

Reaction score
I am about to take my first muay thai class. This decision was solely based on seeing the movie The Protector

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads