• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of men can wear Ascots gracefully on daily basis?

Do you think ascots look good on men?

• YES

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • NO

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • NOT SURE

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cary Grant rocks a red with white polka dots Ascot in 'To Catch a Thief'.

and a bow tie too for that matter (re: yo other thread)

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off, I don't see the need to bash the OP. The board has been crawling all summer, and to his credit he is trying some new threads, (albeit a few too many).
That aside, it would be nice to see more responses with useful information.
The purpose of the ascot today would be to conceal the neck and therefore to offer a more youthful appearance on an older gentleman.
They can either look great or garrish and seldom inbetween. They are an accessory better used by a man with the experience and discipline to dress well.

jbw

Reaction score
I don't think it is about experience and discipline. There is a reason why all the pictures being found are so old, and M.Caine, I think, was wearing it at least half-ironically even back in the 60s or early 70s or whenever that picture is from. There are a lot of class associations involved. In the US or a commonwealth country it is an item with too much (somewhat unpredictable) semiotic content. Most of that content has an affected or goofy flavor to it. There may be a slim minority (in the US, not the UK) who would label it "classy" because of the English aristocracy overtones but that is not the target audience of most posters here. It is too much of an affectation; It has become costume; there is a high-likelihood people will think you are a stuck-up fool.

Spong

Reaction score
Doesn't that just suck though? I mean, I take your point, I think you're 100% correct there, but it's lame that this is the case. Looking at the ascot/cravat objectively there's really nothing wrong with it, it's a perfectly serviceable item of clothing.

One of the things I find difficult with this, and I don't want to sound too much like a politician here, is that we forget we have the capability to change things, or at least to try.

If everyone who reads SF (reads, not is a member) went out wearing an ascot with an F U attitude tomorrow what kind of difference might that make in the common conception?

Perhaps not much, but it would be interesting to see.

I say this because other typically 'archaic' items seem to have the same problem, I mentioned classic hats before, a number of surveys, blogs, internet poasts and so on, suggest that most men would love to wear them but refrain because they're not commonly worn by others. "I'd wear them if I saw more other guys wearing them" is an oft-heard phrase. This could be true of many 'long lost' items of attire, including the ascot.

Last edited:

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to wear ascots and suits to school. Call me an asshole.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jerome.. as you can see, the ascot is acceptable, but only when you tug it in your shirt and have it fold out slightly... I know you are asking this question because you have an obsession with ascots falling above the shirt, but that is tacky and over the top.

Please don't think any of us mean you should wear a long ascot (about the length of a scarf) tied around your neck hanging over your shirt, as your much cherished Pierre-Alexis Dumas does.

jeromestyle

Reaction score

Jerome.. as you can see, the ascot is acceptable, but only when you tug it in your shirt and have it fold out slightly... I know you are asking this question because you have an obsession with ascots falling above the shirt, but that is tacky and over the top.

Please don't think any of us mean you should wear a long ascot (about the length of a scarf) tied around your neck hanging over your shirt, as your much cherished Pierre-Alexis Dumas does.

sometimes it´s good to try new fashions

Charlie74

Reaction score
weather permitting and by that I mean anything under 100, I wear them often. Maybe not daily bet a few times a week. I even wear them to the office, on occassion

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ascots are hard to pull of properly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads