• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What I've Learned in Business So Far...

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Working on LinkedIn profile...I am just a recent grad, looking for work in project analysis (finance) but my background includes statistics. Any ideas how I should word my headline? I had it as "Student" for the longest time.:embar:

"Highly motivated, reliable partner looking to fulfill deadlines, goals in Research & Analysis"

"Highly motivated, reliable partner | Enjoy the arts of research & analysis"

How does that sound?

Last edited:

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Working on LinkedIn profile...I am just a recent grad, looking for work in project analysis (finance) but my background includes statistics. Any ideas how I should word my headline? I had it as "Student" for the longest time.:embar:

"Highly motivated, reliable partner looking to fulfill deadlines, goals in Research & Analysis"

"Highly motivated, reliable partner | Enjoy the arts of research & analysis"

How does that sound?

Try replacing "student" with "business analyst"

"Highly motivated, insightful business analyst seeking opportunity to ....."

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had an interesting thing happen to me this week, and didn't really have anyplace else to fit it in.

when I joined my present company, one of the guys who reported to me was a basic waste of oxygen. 61, really out of shape, and with a really bad attitude. his job involved a lot of travel, and he would basically travel twice a year, fly one day, rest one day, metings one day, repeat. so his meetings were costing the company a huge amount - I think that I calcuated them at 8K a meeting. and his sales were piss poor. but nobody had ever managed him, and so he had gotten set into really bad habbits. I tried to help get him out of the habbits, but he fought me tooth an dnail, so we moved his job to Singapore, and he retired. he was eally pissed off when I told him.

this week he passed away. if he hadn't retired early, he would had retired just now.

this might seem self serving, but I am happy that he got to spend a little more time with his grandkids and wife, and enjoy retirement. I don't think he got any joy out of doing his work poorly.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had an interesting thing happen to me this week, and didn't really have anyplace else to fit it in.

when I joined my present company, one of the guys who reported to me was a basic waste of oxygen. 61, really out of shape, and with a really bad attitude. his job involved a lot of travel, and he would basically travel twice a year, fly one day, rest one day, metings one day, repeat. so his meetings were costing the company a huge amount - I think that I calcuated them at 8K a meeting. and his sales were piss poor. but nobody had ever managed him, and so he had gotten set into really bad habbits. I tried to help get him out of the habbits, but he fought me tooth an dnail, so we moved his job to Singapore, and he retired. he was eally pissed off when I told him.

this week he passed away. if he hadn't retired early, he would had retired just now.

this might seem self serving, but I am happy that he got to spend a little more time with his grandkids and wife, and enjoy retirement. I don't think he got any joy out of doing his work poorly.

I remember you mentioning this guy on the forum a couple years ago. I agree with your assessment, you should be happy to have given him a push to retirement.

I have a simple question but would appreciate some insight.

I was accidentally cc'ed on an email that should have been sent to someone with the same first name as me. The content was sensitive and not something I should have been privy to...but not really critical. The big boss noticed the error and emailed the sender to mention to be more careful.

The question...should I reply to say something like "Message deleted" or just ignore it?

Last edited:

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I remember you mentioning this guy on the forum a couple years ago. I agree with your assessment, you should be happy to have given him a push to retirement.

I have a simple question but would appreciate some insight.

I was accidentally cc'ed on an email that should have been sent to someone with the same first name as me. The content was sensitive and not something I should have been privy to...but not really critical. The big boss noticed the error and emailed the sender to mention to be more careful.

The question...should I reply to say something like "Message deleted" or just ignore it?

thanks

I would ignore the email

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Try replacing "student" with "business analyst"

"Highly motivated, insightful business analyst seeking opportunity to ....."

Thank you ChicagoRon, now to figure out what I really want to do...:embar:

"Highly motivated, insightful business analyst seeking opportunity to assist with finance-related planning, challenges, resource programs and special projects."

Too much for LinkedIn header? I pulled it off some IBM job description :lol: But that is generally what I'm interested in--I do have a finance and statistics degree :satisfied:

Last edited:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't have commented if you had not done such a long write-up, but I am not so sure about your conclusion. You may be correct of course, but if he was really that pissed off when you told him, he may have been disgruntled for the remaining years of his life. And what's worse, his wife and kids may have had to bear it. Again, could be wrong, but I would caution against such conclusions. Getting layed off can do strange things to people, especially if it's their last job.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't have commented if you had not done such a long write-up, but I am not so sure about your conclusion. You may be correct of course, but if he was really that pissed off when you told him, he may have been disgruntled for the remaining years of his life. And what's worse, his wife and kids may have had to bear it. Again, could be wrong, but I would caution against such conclusions. Getting layed off can do strange things to people, especially if it's their last job.

You left out that the dude may have even died early as a result. :foo:

Elusive

Reaction score
Integrity is a huge factor in business success although the payoffs are cumulative and take a while to reach full fruition

atila

Reaction score

Thank you ChicagoRon, now to figure out what I really want to do...:embar:

"Highly motivated, insightful business analyst seeking opportunity to assist with finance-related planning, challenges, resource programs and special projects."

Too much for LinkedIn header? I pulled it off some IBM job description :lol: But that is generally what I'm interested in--I do have a finance and statistics degree :satisfied:

business professional

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ thank you. should probably generalize it since i don't want to narrow my first job opportunity..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads