• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is wrong with Mens Wearhouse?

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
So giving advice on where to find clothing at affordable prices to college students that are obviously on a budget is in bad taste?
musicboohoo[1].gif

I failed to find anything at all obvious about this person other than he is seeking approval from a very biased and critical group of men of deserning taste and preconcieved notions of style.

If you find it within your clarvoyant powers to discern this mans budget, then you may apply your higher logistic skills to also lend themselves in the range of logic that quirk was using.

After all this guy may not want to spend the next 21 years making bad decisions based on bad advise after just making a brilliant one based on his current circumstanses.

eric23

Reaction score
The only alterations were letting down the sleeves slightly and cuffing the legs. The return policy says that it is up to the managers discretion in regards to alterations but the main thing at hand is that I got something worthwhile, even if it means I messed up and spent an extra $70 bucks or so.

I can say with confidence that the fit of the suit was very good, I just hope I didn't screw up with the style (which is what brought me here I suppose)

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gladhatter
I failed to find anything at all obvious about this person other than he is seeking approval from a very biased and critical group of men of deserning taste and preconcieved notions of style.

If you find it within your clarvoyant powers to discern this mans budget, then you may apply your higher logistic skills to also lend themselves in the range of logic that quirk was using.

After all this guy may not want to spend the next 21 years making bad decisions based on bad advise after just making a brilliant one based on his current circumstanses.

It's pretty clear to me while simply browsing through the thread that money is an object, but I apologize for making the assumption that you should pick that up.

After all, if your reading comprehension skills are on the same level as your communication skills, then perhaps it wouldn't be obvious.

Purchasing a suit from Men's Wearhouse for full retail is a brilliant decision?
baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Pleats may have the effect of producing a fuller look around the waist and legs, but flat front is much more modern. I'm assuming a young guy like yourself is trying to look hip and modern in addition to dressed up.
Pleats aren't all bad. Aren't Ralph Lauren's pleated trousers forward facing? Forward pleats don't throw a whole lot of fullness to the sides, which is why I prefer them. They also create a better line on the trousers.

EDIT: I guess not... Lauren Ralph Lauren must differ from the rest of his clothes.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eric23
The only alterations were letting down the sleeves slightly and cuffing the legs. The return policy says that it is up to the managers discretion in regards to alterations but the main thing at hand is that I got something worthwhile, even if it means I messed up and spent an extra $70 bucks or so. I can say with confidence that the fit of the suit was very good, I just hope I didn't screw up with the style (which is what brought me here I suppose)
I think you're fine with the suit. It's a relatively conservative style and suitable for interviews, even if most people here think you'll get a bit more versatility out of a solid suit. The pinstriping is pretty subtle on this suit, though, so you should be fine. As far as the pleats go, flat front pants are considered a bit more modern, or at least in style, but it's not really a big deal. No one is really expecting a recent graduate to have an extremely modern suit wardrobe and that suit is certainly better than some of the monstrosities that will be trotted out during interview season. Speaking as a manager with hiring responsbilities, I wouldn't give it a second glance if I were interviewing you. Make sure you get some nice, conservative shoes, though, a black captoe or plaintoe oxford like the AE Park Avenue would be a good choice, and a nice blue or white shirt and conservative but not stuffy tie and you'll be good to go.

Gladhatter

Reaction score
The only alterations were letting down the sleeves slightly and cuffing the legs. The return policy says that it is up to the managers discretion in regards to alterations but the main thing at hand is that I got something worthwhile, even if it means I messed up and spent an extra $70 bucks or so.

I can say with confidence that the fit of the suit was very good, I just hope I didn't screw up with the style (which is what brought me here I suppose)

Sir the only place you need to look for style at is in front of the mirror. I am sure you will find plenty of it there.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Yeah, search eBay out for your size in Allen-Edmonds. Good deals can be had there.

eric23

Reaction score
I really appreciate all of the advice from each of you, definitely a solid forum here.

I must admit though I hate this post purchase dissonance now...

Gladhatter and others, would you suggest that if they comply with giving a refund that I go with something a little more versatile and modern, along with potentially cheaper?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really appreciate all of the advice from each of you, definitely a solid forum here. I must admit though I hate this post purchase dissonance now... Gladhatter and others, would you suggest that if they comply with giving a refund that I go with something a little more versatile and modern, along with potentially cheaper?
This is what I recommend for a first suit, because it's quite modern, very versatile, and inexpensive at $140.
B000GU00LI.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS384_V60583908_.jpg
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...I&frombrowse=1 Certainly it's not a Brioni or Attolini but it should last through an interview season with no problems. I own a couple of these and use them for travel suits and they've held up remarkably well. I'd recommend visiting a local store and checking it out. As I mentioned earlier, prices are $110-140 usually, they're sold as separates so make sure you get the matching pants and jacket.

eric23

Reaction score
If the same Lauren suit is available for approx. $200 wouldnt that quality be better though?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate all of the advice from each of you, definitely a solid forum here.

I must admit though I hate this post purchase dissonance now...

Gladhatter and others, would you suggest that if they comply with giving a refund that I go with something a little more versatile and modern, along with potentially cheaper?

IMO it's kinda tacky to take back an altered garment...unless it had some serious flaw. It seems to me that you have a perfectly okay suit. Yeah, you might have gotten more for your money in all probability. With the knowledge I have now, I could gotten more for my expenditure when I bought several suits a few years, but then I wouldn't have bought what I bought. Accessorize it well with well-chosen shirts, good shoes and a decent assortment of neckties and pocket squares and you'll look great.

Hang around this forum and Ask Andy for awhile, and you'll look even better in the future!

eric23

Reaction score
They said it should be ready by tomorrow or Monday, would that mean that they already started the altering though, considering how little altering was needed?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If the same Lauren suit is available for approx. $200 wouldnt that quality be better though?

No, not really. The quality of Target, Lauren, and most Marshall's suits including the fake Zegna and Loro Piana ones is approximately the same. You have to get into a bit higher price range to get better quality, such as Arnold Brant, Jack Victor, etc... which are more expensive and probably not as modern. In my experience Target, Banana Republic, Zara, and H&M suiting are all more or less in the same quality range, which is fairly good for fused, good enough for a decent amount of durability.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They said it should be ready by tomorrow or Monday, would that mean that they already started the altering though?

They might not have, you can always call them. Honestly the alterations you mentioned are not extensive, and probably would take 30 min at the most, so it may still be in line waiting for alterations.

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
IMO it's kinda tacky to take back an altered garment...unless it had some serious flaw. It seems to me that you have a perfectly okay suit. Yeah, you might have gotten more for your money in all probability. With the knowledge I have now, I could gotten more for my expenditure when I bought several suits a few years, but then I wouldn't have bought what I bought. Accessorize it well with well-chosen shirts, good shoes and a decent assortment of neckties and pocket squares and you'll look great.

Hang around this forum and Ask Andy for awhile, and you'll look even better in the future!

Exactly. Why take it back as it looks great for one. For two the best lessons in life are not for free or at a discount.

You entered into the deal and paid for it and its yours. You can use it to make 2000 bux in and have a positive out come from it or you can listen to some folks that have always made bad decisions that is the leading factor for them advising you to do the same.

The one smart decision is to make a deal stick to it and make the best out of it. The one dumb decision is to analyze it to death or listen to others second guess what you thought was your best decision you made at the time you made it based on knowing all you knew.

They do not have the luxury of being in your shoes the day you pulled the trigger and the only privelidge they should have now to hold you up in your decision on this one and hope you make a great decision on your next one but this one is a done deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads