• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the deal with Borrelli?

max b

Reaction score
This matter of "Made in" is coming back very "hot" during last months. I had long discussions about. Don't think this is the right post to start it another time, but what I can assure it is : it's true what you are saying about this problem, but, please, believe there still are in Italy Companies producing 100% in their factories. Believe the ones doing it correctly are VERY disappointed (to use a kind word) about this matter because it is damaging their hard work to keep the production here. And about chinese work in Italy, it is not about nationality, but about people working 20 hours/day with a little salary without respecting the elementary laws of protection of the rights of the workers..doesn't matter they are Italian or Chinese or American. It is not a matter of the colour of the skin, but a matter about respect of the people, the law and the trust of the final consumer.

Dan e gee

Reaction score
According to our sources, John McCoy took over the Borrelli shirt license. Shortly after Fabio did the perp walk at Pitti Uomo 2 years ago for allegedly misappropriating 50 million euro of the Italian gov'ts money, McCoy bought the license, then had Giampaolo produce the shirts. Not sure if they're still making them...

Here's the bio on McCoy:

Mr. John McCoy, II has been President of Components by John McCoy, Inc. since 1985. Mr. McCoy is Founder of Fitzgerald by John McCoy, a U.S. manufacturer of European styled clothing in 1977. In 1985, Mr. McCoy founded Components by John McCoy, Inc., a manufacturer and distributor of luxury clothing brands, including Gran Sasso, Mason's, Coast, Moncler, Lenor Romano and Alfred Dunhill. Mr. McCoy has worked within the apparel industry during the past 38 years. In 1970, he began working for Pierre Cardin's sales operations and held the position of Executive Vice President of Clothing until 1977. He has been Director of Passport Brands, Inc. since 2005.

where does Giampaolo have the shirts made? Done in China but finished in Italy?

Stefano Giampaolo founded the company in 1985.
Located in Cassamassina - in Apulia if memory serves me - in the province of Bari, the home of Stefano.
All their shirts are 100% made in Italy throughout. Don't think China has anything to do with them unless there are Chinese workers employed in Italy.
The idea was to provide the workingman with a shirt of high quality to enjoy. Most have 4 steps by hand and the top range (7 su 7) has seven with thick mother of pearl buttons, of the 'old' Borrelli's, and you can pick the up for approx €125.
I do believe they offer a su misura service too.

supernova

Reaction score
anyone have any idea what "LB 57 designed by Luigi Borrelli" is? a diffusion line? licensed to third party?

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes,

I have done myself practises with some of their crew on Naples and know the family, their shirts and ties continue being as good as always, their shop in Naples sells them so i know what i am talking about but their suits are better to avoid, are not the same. The brand is owner now by a German company so the suits got small lapels etc kinda Hugo Boss.

supernova

Reaction score

Yes,

I have done myself practises with some of their crew on Naples and know the family, their shirts and ties continue being as good as always, their shop in Naples sells them so i know what i am talking about but their suits are better to avoid, are not the same. The brand is owner now by a German company so the suits got small lapels etc kinda Hugo Boss.

do you know if the labels are the same? do the suits now say "LB 57 design by luigi borrelli"?

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don´t know as the suits done nowadays feel Hugo Boss or similar so i only check their good shirts.

Also the shirts labelled as luxury vintage are not as good as the normal ones and priced more expensive than the normal good ones. Strange.

dreamhope

Reaction score
When I was recently in Italy, several vendors told me that they stopped selling the new Borrelli as it was not made in Italy anymore, or just "finished" to a small degree in italy. C'est la vie.

Really? No wonder they're up for grab for cheap everywhere now.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ones on the Borrelli shop on Naples are as good as always have been, but i have seen poorly made ones on Ebay who might been false or from a low quality third party.

jeffd

Reaction score
I've only bought Borrelli shirts from the affiliates here, and of course it's hard to say how much of what you find on discount is old stock vs new. Having said that, my experience is that it's hit and miss with how much handwork will be on any particular shirt. The least amount I've encountered is similar to what you'd find on a Barba, though with thinner buttons. On discount, even those are a good buy in my opinion - but the Barbas, which are typically $30 or $40 cheaper, would be an even better value. The Borrelli shirts with handwork throughout are clearly superior to the Barbas, and are worth the extra but of course you never know what you're getting until it arrives.

I can also say that I have a few older Borrelli shirts that I've bought from members here, including some royal collection, and I see no difference whatsoever between those and the better of the recent shirts I've bought.

My experience with Borrelli pants, on the other hand, is a completely different story. I bought two pair off Yoox a few months back, and found the construction to be a bit bizarre - the legs in both pair essentially spiraled down, so that the inside seam on each leg ended up in the front at the cuff. My only guess is that they didn't properly shrink the twill prior to making them. Clearly they should have been factory seconds, though perhaps they were and Yoox decided not to sell them as such.

I have a Luxury Vintage sport coat, though, that I think is fantastic. Lots of handwork throughout - buttonholes, pockets, sleeve attachment, collar, etc.

Last edited:

Layered Player

Reaction score
I thrifted this baby from a Maine college town Goodwill for 2.50 USD

It's gorgeous and I've just gotten it back from the tailor and don't she drape like a dream!

I couldn't get a clear shot but it's also got a boutonniere latch sewn behind the left lapel, love that!

Pics to come...is this one pre 2009?

Just outta curiosity how much would it have retailed for?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads