• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the best quality garment you own?

SBTR

Reaction score
I think also Gravati Shoes, though not across the board, but in certain circumstances can be superlative. These Alligator Shoes with large tiles are extremely well done

Attachments

• 58EDD3BB-258B-4E6E-8A79-B7277A55C043.jpeg
    58EDD3BB-258B-4E6E-8A79-B7277A55C043.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 7F2618C8-04A8-4D77-9B5C-6F8741961321.jpeg
    7F2618C8-04A8-4D77-9B5C-6F8741961321.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 88

Mr. Hunter

Reaction score
I was unaware of St Andrews making the garments, thank you. I always wondered why the coat looked hand made. But I always thought, no, that couldn't be. However, St Andrews is nearly exclusively or is exclusively hand made. Either way, I really like the coat.
News to me too! I have a Purple Label suit that I got a 70% discount (!) that's going on ten years and a lot of wear. I own a barrage of suits, but that is still the one that gets the most wear.

I have a Barbour Beacon (the Skyfall jacket) also approaching ten years that I've worn to death. I know this is blasphemy, but I've never bothered to re-wax it. And it's still more or less pristine even after being used in both rain and snow over several seasons. Top notch quality for sure.

My Diemme Roccia Vet shearling boots as also seen a few hundred miles by now.

Rodney R.

Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek: you purchased the whole store?

if their cotton feels like silk what does their baby cashmere feel like?

which other brands have you tried? i think LP is much better than BC but I know a lot of people think the opposite

imo LP is the best clothing you can buy, except for maybe blazers/ jackets
If I could throw in my 2 cents...Loro Piana is one of the very best in fabrics, and Brunello has nice styling, both of which I own. Neither of them can claim great craftsmanship as there's nothing or practically nothing done by hand. What's the point of machine made buttonholes and edge work on a jacket or suit with high quality fabric? Both are great high end "sportswear" brands but not serious dress clothes. Let's not start on prices. They are so way overpriced that it's insulting to the buyer who's treated like a sucker. I say this having worked in the luxury fashion business for almost 17 years and knowing how the system works from design to retail.
One of the best value for the dollar all day is Caruso. Older Belvest as well although their new stuff not so much. Shoes? Edward Green RTW and John Lobb RTW or Masaru Okuyama in bespoke. Berluti has fantastic designs when Olga was in charge but are now since owned by LVMH a bit comical with ridiculous prices that can never be justified in RTW across the board.
Ralph Lauren Purple Label is great stuff. That's just my strong opinion for a man that has invested over $350,000+ in clothing, not counting prior 25 years.

pkincy

Reaction score
I was unaware of St Andrews making the garments, thank you. I always wondered why the coat looked hand made. But I always thought, no, that couldn't be. However, St Andrews is nearly exclusively or is exclusively hand made. Either way, I really like the coat.
They definitely make exquisite garments mostly by hand. I still have several, but unfortunately I no longer can get into them. In fact in honor of this thread if someone would still wear a single breasted/pleated cuffed trouser suit in 42L w pants in 34 waist and 31/32 length, pm me. I will be happy to pass one suit on to somebody that would actually wear it again.

Brummelwannabe

Reaction score
There are a few contenders in my closet, but I'll go with my Richard Anderson Ltd. Oatmeal Lambswool Check with Purple Overcheck, Single Breasted, Sports Coat. Superbly tailored in Italy. Get lots of compliments wearing this one.

Attachments

• Richard-Anderson Sports Coat.jpg
    Richard-Anderson Sports Coat.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 198

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I could throw in my 2 cents...Loro Piana is one of the very best in fabrics, and Brunello has nice styling, both of which I own. Neither of them can claim great craftsmanship as there's nothing or practically nothing done by hand. What's the point of machine made buttonholes and edge work on a jacket or suit with high quality fabric? Both are great high end "sportswear" brands but not serious dress clothes. Let's not start on prices. They are so way overpriced that it's insulting to the buyer who's treated like a sucker. I say this having worked in the luxury fashion business for almost 17 years and knowing how the system works from design to retail.
One of the best value for the dollar all day is Caruso. Older Belvest as well although their new stuff not so much. Shoes? Edward Green RTW and John Lobb RTW or Masaru Okuyama in bespoke. Berluti has fantastic designs when Olga was in charge but are now since owned by LVMH a bit comical with ridiculous prices that can never be justified in RTW across the board.
Ralph Lauren Purple Label is great stuff. That's just my strong opinion for a man that has invested over $350,000+ in clothing, not counting prior 25 years.
Personally, all I care about is the end result. If that means machine-made and at a lower pricepoint, I'll take it.

Example: I like the machine sewn hard edges on a polo coat vs. hand sewn. It looks better and likely costs less as well.

tumblr_piy2xyekmf1qahplno1_1280-jpg.1223551

247862f7-cfa2-4ed5-82e2-0e5d00be6a51-png.1223519

Linthead

Reaction score
You might try Escorial for a unique woolen that is more durable and less expensive than cashmere, vicuña, or baby camel hair but still has a wonderful handle and tailors beautifully. I believe there is only one remaining flock located in Australia. It has a long history worth reading about and has not been mentioned on this thread. Your question has no definitive answer as to best sewing, best styling or best fabric but most of the brands mentioned qualify in at least one of the 3 categories.

BomTrady

Reaction score
Personally, all I care about is the end result. If that means machine-made and at a lower pricepoint, I'll take it.

Example: I like the machine sewn hard edges on a polo coat vs. hand sewn. It looks better and likely costs less as well.

tumblr_piy2xyekmf1qahplno1_1280-jpg.1223551

247862f7-cfa2-4ed5-82e2-0e5d00be6a51-png.1223519
I know you've been in the hunt for one of these for a while, how's the search going? Have you found anything you like, your size and liking yet?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know you've been in the hunt for one of these for a while, how's the search going? Have you found anything you like, your size and liking yet?
I ended up finding one I enjoyed thankfully. I realized my chase for the perfect polo coat was never going to be satisfied, so I dialed down my expectations.

I passed on having one custom made and focused on vintage instead, and it was a good call. I find I'm more likely to wear vintage clothing rather than babying it.

I posted all the updates in this thread below.

I might have a brown tweed polo coat made by my tailor in the future, my current Spier & Mackay one is two sizes too small on me now.

The last post in the thread shows the cut/silhouette I might go for. Undarted, long length, stretched and lowered button spacing. The peak lapels are also a must, Ralph's are always the best.

Rodney R.

Reaction score
And I agree with you to a certain extent. Hand sewn doesn't mean fantastic expert tailoring. Personally Kiton is messy but much lower priced labels have better work. I've liked many of my former machine made garments over higher priced because of consistency! What I hate are brands that overcharge based on hype rather than giving you or I it's true retail value. Yes I've spent money on them, but I only purchase them now if at a great price.
Even shoes. Santoni, and others like it are beautiful and they are not hand lasted so I'm in agreement. Cheers

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And I agree with you to a certain extent. Hand sewn doesn't mean fantastic expert tailoring. Personally Kiton is messy but much lower priced labels have better work. I've liked many of my former machine made garments over higher priced because of consistency! What I hate are brands that overcharge based on hype rather than giving you or I it's true retail value. Yes I've spent money on them, but I only purchase them now if at a great price.
Even shoes. Santoni, and others like it are beautiful and they are not hand lasted so I'm in agreement. Cheers
Amen!

Rodney R.

Reaction score
I ended up finding one I enjoyed thankfully. I realized my chase for the perfect polo coat was never going to be satisfied, so I dialed down my expectations.

I passed on having one custom made and focused on vintage instead, and it was a good call. I find I'm more likely to wear vintage clothing rather than babying it.

I posted all the updates in this thread below.

I might have a brown tweed polo coat made by my tailor in the future, my current Spier & Mackay one is two sizes too small on me now.

The last post in the thread shows the cut/silhouette I might go for. Undarted, long length, stretched and lowered button spacing. The peak lapels are also a must, Ralph's are always the best.
Can I tell you that Ralph overall has in my opinion, the absolute best taste in clothing. Like, you can't go wrong in RL. It doesn't go out of style and I can salivate over the same silhouette with differing fabrics and can't get enough. His DB's are No. 1, 2 and 3! Lol

SBTR

Reaction score
Agree definitely as per RL and in Purple Label some really great fabrics used

Brioni “Escorial” when you can find are excellent. I’ve has a SC for over 15 years, worn quite often and still looks brand new

Attachments

• 6596F06A-2FC2-46AF-B1B7-A2E7F5A2FFEC.png
    6596F06A-2FC2-46AF-B1B7-A2E7F5A2FFEC.png
    738.8 KB · Views: 196

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I tell you that Ralph overall has in my opinion, the absolute best taste in clothing. Like, you can't go wrong in RL. It doesn't go out of style and I can salivate over the same silhouette with differing fabrics and can't get enough. His DB's are No. 1, 2 and 3! Lol
Growing up, I just knew Ralph's brand as "another preppy brand with polo shirts". Their marketing and labels have been confusing IMO, but that conclusion of mine only skimmed the surface.

They make the best looking camel hair polo coats, better than the bespoke ones I've seen.

I'd never buy any of the garments due to the price tags alone, but I use them as inspiration and templates.

As you said, he has great taste. I love patchwork, and this is the best patchwork coat I've ever seen.

s7-1302496_lifestyle

I've also criticized this extended shoulder below for looking ridiculous. Now it looks fascinating, bold, and the cut has some verve to it.
27-The-Rake-ralph-lauren.jpg

Then there's RRL's hand knit Ranch Cardigans. Stunning.
RRLFW19010_a_1110x.progressive.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads