• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is a good men's hair shampoo these days?

EMichels

Reaction score
I've been most happy with Kerastase. I tried to switch out to a couple of other things in an effort to find something less expensive but quickly switched back. I found it gave me both better looking and feeling hair and a very healthy head. Once you find the formula that works best (I like Bain Satin 2 but any salon that sells it could suggest one best for your hair), you can buy the larger salon professional use only size on Amazon for about half the usual price.

YOLO EMSHI

Reaction score
I'm trying a no shampoo routine.

I hope this is a joke. Not shampooing is the worst you can do. Shampoo daily, not only for cosmetic reasons, but also to improve your chanses to keep your hair.

I do this...I haven't shampooped in weeks and before that months if not close to a year. My hair gets really thick and curly and shampoo does not help with that at all. Apart from that I wash and condition my hair everyday.

etl

Reaction score
i was no-poo for about six months.

mostly it left my hair pretty dry and frizzy. i didn't have a love-fest with the process. it would have been fine if i didn't much care how my hair looked, but that's sort of the point. you can't really be vain and no-poo.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm partial to Baxter of California myself.

GGsquared

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I do this...I haven't shampooped in weeks and before that months if not close to a year. My hair gets really thick and curly and shampoo does not help with that at all. Apart from that I wash and condition my hair everyday.

So probably washing and coditioning is your "shampooing".

GGsquared

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just a note, not entirely relevant to the thread. I find the use of supplements to be of equal importance for nice looking hair. There are so many out there but the active incredient in most of them is zinc. The rest is marketing bs.

HAL 9000

Reaction score
Is there a massive difference between drugstore shampoo vs. organic shampoo? I just bought Aubrey Organics GPB and hoping that it will improve and maintain healthy hair.

stayhealthy

Reaction score
go with paraben free shampoos and soaps. there are lots around in your health food store.

i personally use dr. bronner soap. you can use it for everything. even doing your laundry. it's perfect for traveling. it's organic, free trade and bio degradable and no parabens.

indigoeagle

Reaction score
What you find in most shampoos is Sodium Laureth/Lauryl Sulphate (SLS). It's the ingredient that strips the scalp of the oil- tenside. However, apparently that chemical is quite aggressive.
It's also used (of course in bigger quantity) in floor cleaning products.
A milder, natural alternative is something like Coco Glucoside (no chemist- there might be a different term).
The idea of nopoo is that instead of stripping of the scalp of all the oil- that is needed to healthy skin- and the causing the body to get stressed and produced even more oil again plus using special conditioners to give the hair 'oil' back, to wait out patiently until the body has found its equilibrium and produces only small amounts of oil.
I've tried this but it's very difficult to go through that adaption phase. For me even after two months my hair was still on the greasy side. You can rinse with a water/baking soda and or egg yolk mixture. That works quite a bit but not very satisfyingly.
I now keep my shampooing down to once, max twice per week. Mind you I still nearly wash my hair every day but only with water. For shampoo I use one with Coco Glucoside as Tenside or Bronner's soap, but find the former to have a better effect.
The same logic of this discussion actually also applies to shower gels, etc.. I'm using a soap from Italy that's traditionally made with olive oil. I'm very happy with it.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Urtekram Aloe Vera Shampoo, it has no alcohols in it and is thus very gentle with your skin.

xpress

Reaction score
Also on the 1-2 x per week routine.

When I do, it's either Molton Brown (Very good stuff all around)
or American Crew Mint (smells amazing)

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Sorry for zombie thread rez. Although it's only been two weeks, but yeah.

What about for guys that use a significant amount of hair product? I've tried a couple things but my hair often comes out feeling kind of dry and brittle after shampoo/conditioner. I use Lay-Rite water-based pomade (http://layrite.com/pd-hawleywoods-layrite-super-hold-pomade-4oz-can.cfm#firstfold) as it does wonders for the appearance of my hair even after hours of dancing and my girlfriend loves the smell, but I just can't get a good feel after shampooing the hair. I only do it 1-2x a week but those days are almost always bad hair days. I'd love to go the SLS free way but haven't found anything too great. Using Giovanni right now, meh.

There are two things I've found that I liked a lot - first was the Dr. Bronner's conditioner that comes in concentrate form and you have to water it down in the shower. This stuff works great but is a ton of trouble and burns like a mother on your skin. The second was a product called "Pure" that I used at the Boston Park Plaza awhile back but none of the people there can tell me where to buy it.

Any recommendations you can throw my way would be great.

etl

Reaction score
sls is the devil. i went nopoo for about six months. at the end i just got really unhappy that my hair always looked sort of frizzy all the time. i may be going back to Terax. I think in the last year they went sans-sls.

if i do this, i'll be washing my hair a few times a week alternately with just using water. the less chemicals the better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads