• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of this wedding suit?

crease

Reaction score
I'm going to be attending a wedding this summer.
The bride and groom have informed me that it'll be in a bright environment, and they hope I'm inspired to wear something colourful.

Seeing as these two (and their parents) are well off, I do not doubt that it'll be "colourful", but I'm sure there'll also be a lot of conservative people there (e.g. lawyers, bankers, and more lawyers...).

I was thinking of wearing something along the lines of a white cotton summer suit, but then decided it probably wouldn't be the best idea.

Instead I'm considering going with a light gray suit, and stick to being colourful with the tie and pocket square.

So, my question is, what do you guys thinks of this suit (cut, colour, etc.)?

Thanks.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks okay for someone young and slim at a somewhat casual wedding.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a nice-looking summer suit, which you could probably get a lot of use out of beyond just the wedding.

crease

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm considering going a shade darker to stay conservative..

Here's a pic of the actual suit. That's not me in the picture. I don't know who it is, but apparently it's the same suit.

I don't like the way it fits on him -- it looks too big. And those shoes...

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The second picture looks hellacious. In any case, if it can fit you the same way as in the first pic, go for it. It reminds me of Tombolini or Thierry Mugler I recently saw on Ebay.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about a 3 piece beige/cream linen?

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that suit is fine for a summer wedding. It will take the light well. A lighter navy blue would be better (more classic), but this is fine.

Since you mentioned bringing in color with the tie and pocket square, I would admonish against a matching tie and square combination, often sold together. In fact, I suggest you bring color with your shirt and make the tie rather plain. Add an accent color with the pocket square.

brlfvr

Reaction score
I think it's a great looking suit. Go with your first thought and get your color from shirt/tie. Who makes it by the way?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Light gray is the current, popular neutral and should be for 1-2 more years. You will be able to wear it a lot.

If you want to be colorful try mixing it with something purple/lavender.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The color of this suit is classic and certainly very appropriate for a spring/summer wedding.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to know anything about the cut of the suit from the photos you've posted. In the first photo, the suit has undoubtedly been pinned to hell on the dressform to give it the dramatic waist suppression you see. Unless it is heavily tailored and you are very fit, it will not look anything like that on you. It's similarly impossible to know anything about the fit from the second photo because the suit is two sizes too big for the clown wearing it, and also because his shoes piss me off so much I don't even want to look at him.

I'd be slightly concerned, if I were you, about the fabric. It appears to have a subtle basketweave texture that might look great, or might look terrible in person. I'm assuming that you're buying this, sight unseen, from some inexpensive internet site, so I'd be extra careful to check the return policy in case the fabric looks cheap and cruddy when it gets to you.

Are the pants flat-front or pleated? I'd check that whatever it is meets your personal preference.

Good luck!

crease

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments everyone.

In response to Douglas' comments: yeah, I'm trying to get a fabric swathe but for the time being, I have this picture attached.

And yes, you're right. This suit is from an inexpensive internet site, so I am gambling here.

I think I'm reasonably "fit" enough to pull of the waist suppression.

crazyquik: I thought about a beige suit, but I just don't think I'd get enough wearability out of it (I'm not at that stage in life yet).

purple/lavender was exactly the colour I was thinking of going with for the tie

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads