• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of Ralph lauren compared to Brioni, Kiton?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank god someone corrected the title of this thread. seeing it on the page was making my brain hurt.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leslierc
It might be the angle of the picture, but both shoulders seem quite pronounced.

Are you talking about the roping? The shoulders are fine and don't need pressing at all, the arms are slightly wrinkled but nothing more than you'd have from normal wear.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would like to take the time to apologize to Joel Cairo for my spelling mistakes.....
I,m not used to type that quickly and with a playful cat watching my movements...

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was expected a bit of "debat d'ecole" between two factions ,the Italian and British/American influences ,but being neither of them ,i still want information regarding Ralph Lauren purple label...
Always look for the third way,my son...
Saint-Andrew Milan are doing their suits if i did follow the argument...
The Black label collection is produced by them?
By the way,I 'm a bit disappointed by all the shite and that's an understatement produced by Ralph Lauren ....
Their shirts are getting worse and the quality of the rest is awful and overpriced...
So, somebody should probably answer your original question. Quality has been discussed, RLPL is very very good. Fabrics - also good, but the colors and patterns tend to be more sober and traditional than Brioni and Kiton, except for when Ralph goes plum crazy and puts a purple windowpane over everything. Cut -'sharper' than Kiton, less slick and powerful and more British than Brioni. They have used about a million jacket models in the last few years. A few were extremely good, a greater number atrocious. The default models are good, though not great. My greatest complaint is that the jackets are just a little stiff.

The black label line is not Saint Andrews. I remember thinking when I was in the Florida outlet that it was Caruso, but I am not certain at all about that. The cheaper Purple Label jackets are Cantarelli, and the Signature and Polo lines are Canali.

I don't really agree with your assesment of Ralph Lauren quality though. Only the outlet special Polo stuff is junk, everything else is varying degrees of good quality. The Lorenzini made shirts are IMO a big improvement over the old UK made stuff. And a lot of RLPL is actually a good value at retail, the suits especially are some of the best values on the retail market right now. If I was forced to wear only one brand head to toe, I would probably have to go with Ralph Lauren for the scope and general quality of the line.

Leslierc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Are you talking about the roping? The shoulders are fine and don't need pressing at all, the arms are slightly wrinkled but nothing more than you'd have from normal wear.

Yes, the roping. [Sorry for the confusion.] As for the wrinkles, you might want to think about investing in a steamer. I always steam-out my suits before hanging them up after a wear.

Leslierc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
The cheaper Purple Label jackets are Cantarelli, and the Signature and Polo lines are Canali.

And a lot of RLPL is actually a good value at retail, the suits especially are some of the best values on the retail market right now. If I was forced to wear only one brand head to toe, I would probably have to go with Ralph Lauren for the scope and general quality of the line.

Thanks for the education! [One of the reasons why I love this forum.] I did not know that about the Purple Lable, Signature, and Polo lines; all of which I wear. I also agree with your assessment of Ralph Lauren's clothing being of overall good value and quality. I have purchased several suits and sport jackets from their new Chevy Chase store in the past year; prior to then I had not worn much Ralph Lauren. However, I have really been impressed with his frabric selections, particularly the summer weight cashmeres.

raphael

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Close...

RL/SA
Brioni
Brioni
SSA

I didn't put a Kiton jacket in the mix, partially for my amusement but also because I don't own a navy Kiton jacket and wanted all the jackets to be pretty similar.

You are lucky to have so many nice suits/jackets.

Whatever they are, #4 looks the best on you (high gorge, fitting), #2 looks more like RLPL typical of the current line based on the shoulders, lapel styling and pocket positioning. My newest charcoal gray RLPL looks closest to this but is tighter around the waist on me.

#1 is a great suit but looks like it could become dated , not at all typical of the kind of styling I expect from RLPL or would personally invest in.

Based on the pictures, I'd say the Brionis are my least favorite. You're wearing your sleeves waaay to short, my friend.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raphael
You are lucky to have so many nice suits/jackets.

Whatever they are, #4 looks the best on you (high gorge, fitting), #2 looks more like RLPL typical of the current line based on the shoulders, lapel styling and pocket positioning. My newest charcoal gray RLPL looks closest to this but is tighter around the waist on me.

#2 is Brioni. You can tell by the shoulder quite easily. SA's shoulder is more natural and not as extended.

#1 is a great suit but looks like it could become dated , not at all typical of the kind of styling I expect from RLPL or would personally invest in.
#1 is actually from this past season...

Based on the pictures, I'd say the Brionis are my least favorite. You're wearing your sleeves waaay to short, my friend.
It's more of the shirt being too long than the sleeves being too short. Sleeve length on all of the jackets is fine, and I also didn't pull them down to show the exact amount of cuff because I was just taking the pictures to make a point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads