• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of Jackson Pollock?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I thought Chasing Amy was a great film....

It was ok, probably Kevin Smith's best film (I'm not really a fan). But does it belong on a list of "influential and classic films"? Not really. Did it bring anything new to the table or influence modern film in any way? Meh.

I'd just rather see something truly visionary like Visitor Q, which while not necessarily "influential" is most definitely "visionary" and pushes the boundaries of morality, reality, and taste to the breaking point (and beyond), while retaining its poignancy and message.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Jazz is actually the perfect analogy. If you get Thelonious Monk, if you get Charles Mingus, you probably get Jackson Pollock too.

Actually, I had been thinking Ornette Coleman, but I agree.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
One of the greatest movies ever made, and don't you forget it!

One of the most entertaining, greatest pieces of social satire ever put to film, and I'll buy that for a dollar. Verhoeven really hit the mark here. I wish he had been as up to par on Starship Troopers (though, if memory serves, you liked that one a lot more than I did).

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
Actually, I had been thinking Ornette Coleman, but I agree.

Even as a jazz lover I don't particularly like Ornette so maybe that explains it.
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
TS: Have you ever played Beat Takeshi's Takeshi No Chousenjou for the NES?

Holy crap. Never even seen/heard of that before. NOW I finally have a reason to learn Japanese!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
One of the most entertaining, greatest pieces of social satire ever put to film, and I'll buy that for a dollar. Verhoeven really hit the mark here. I wish he had been as up to par on Starship Troopers (though, if memory serves, you liked that one a lot more than I did).
I will be the first to admit that 'Troopers isn't as great a movie as Robocop. Although, I guess you just did it, so ... let me be the second to admit that... blah blah blah.

Arumbouyed

Reaction score
"a painting done by a high school student or Jackson Pollock are both art where a beautifully constructed cabinet, car or watch are not." Talk about the "marsupialedness" of some of the comments. Of course a beautifully constructed cabinet, car or watch is art. It takes a high level of skill, training, creativity (sometimes) and can be aesthetically pleasing. That's what art is. The argument that art is determined by the artist is, to me, ridiculous. The fact that most people find the work of Pollock and most high school kids crap is entirely the point. Pollock was a hack with no talent. I can drop some acid, throw a can of spaghettios against the wall, and call it art all day. It may even hold some profound, deeper meaning for me and I can complain that the rest of the world just doesn't "get it", but that doesn't make it art.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

"a painting done by a high school student or Jackson Pollock are both art where a beautifully constructed cabinet, car or watch are not." Talk about the "marsupialedness" of some of the comments. Of course a beautifully constructed cabinet, car or watch is art. It takes a high level of skill, training, creativity (sometimes) and can be aesthetically pleasing. That's what art is. The argument that art is determined by the artist is, to me, ridiculous. The fact that most people find the work of Pollock and most high school kids  crap is entirely the point. Pollock was a hack with no talent. I can drop some acid, throw a can of spaghettios against the wall, and call it art all day.  It may even hold some profound, deeper meaning for me and I can complain that the rest of the world just doesn't "get it", but that doesn't make it art.

Good thing you had an unimpeachable, externally developed definition to work with rather than just relying on circular bootstrapping!

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Good thing you had an unimpeachable, externally developed definition to work with rather than just relying on circular bootstrapping!

This takes us back, doesn't it?

I'm sure some random guy who used his first post to dig up a thread from 2007 and vomit is hackneyed opinion on the unsuspecting forum is going to be a great contributor.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

"a painting done by a high school student or Jackson Pollock are both art where a beautifully constructed cabinet, car or watch are not." Talk about the "marsupialedness" of some of the comments. Of course a beautifully constructed cabinet, car or watch is art. It takes a high level of skill, training, creativity (sometimes) and can be aesthetically pleasing. That's what art is. The argument that art is determined by the artist is, to me, ridiculous. The fact that most people find the work of Pollock and most high school kids  crap is entirely the point. Pollock was a hack with no talent. I can drop some acid, throw a can of spaghettios against the wall, and call it art all day.  It may even hold some profound, deeper meaning for me and I can complain that the rest of the world just doesn't "get it", but that doesn't make it art.

You should try jerking off under a wooden staircase.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer the painting that are 'pre-drip'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads