• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think about chalk stripe suits?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lovellum
I drool over this picture.
chalkstripe.jpg

I don't like chalk stripes in general and especially thick London banking ones.

They're actually my pet hate especially in the double-breasted form worn by some red-faced obese gentleman.

The example on the picture is nice because it is a single breasted example and the cut is fitted.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love my white on black RLPL from member Holdfast.
sf3kt3.jpg

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're a 40 reg in isaia, navy two button chalkstripe at saks nyc, call omar in the mens dept. I didn't end up buying it today, but it looked great and 40% off

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mg, here you go:
sf1of9.jpg
dsc16322.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
OK but far from essential
It is, to some extent, a question of geography.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love it on flannel, or any woolen suit, but it CAN look douchey on a worsted suit, or it can look great too...

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Way over the top, but I have always loved the look of Redford's suit in The Sting

Paul-Newman-and-Robert-Redford---The-Sting--C10038622.jpeg.jpg

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
mg, here you go:
sf1of9.jpg
dsc16322.jpg

Those lapels are poor. I like a strong lapel on a SBPL, however, it takes a good tailor to execute them well and those aren't executed well, they're way to straight, way to angular, not long enough in relation to the width, I could go on. To sum up, they look like they belong on a zoot suit and a bad one at that. Of all the suit styles a man can own, the SBPL is one that should only be purchased tailor made and not off the rack. Off the rack, they're always badly executed.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Those lapels are poor. I like a strong lapel on a SBPL, however, it takes a good tailor to execute them well and those aren't executed well, they're way to straight, way to angular, not long enough in relation to the width, I could go on. To sum up, they look like they belong on a zoot suit and a bad one at that. Of all the suit styles a man can own, the SBPL is one that should only be purchased tailor made and not off the rack. Off the rack, they're always badly executed.
All those aspects of a PL that you cite don't necessarily need a bespoke tailor to control -- the legnth:width ration, the straightness, angularity, etc. So I think what you are saying is that you merely don't like OTR peaks. I don't like them bellied at all, but I like them narrow as well as wide. Anyway, this suit is complimented every single time I wear it -- which, I suppose, could go to the general poor level of taste, but I'll take it. ~ H

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
All those aspects of a PL that you cite don't necessarily need a bespoke tailor to control -- the legnth:width ration, the straightness, angularity, etc. So I think what you are saying is that you merely don't like OTR peaks. I don't like them bellied at all, but I like them narrow as well as wide.

Anyway, this suit is complimented every single time I wear it -- which, I suppose, could go to the general poor level of taste, but I'll take it.

~ H

I agree, the problem you have with a lot of OTR is that there is a tendency to exaggerate details, especially, if those details are undergoing something of a revival as is SBPL at the mo. I like the suit through the body and the fit seems OK for OTR, the cloth is very tasteful it's just that I find the lapels too exaggerated. A SBPL is already a bold suit, you have a bold(ish) cloth so there's no need (in my book) to exaggerate the lapels as much as Lauren has, you may find that your suit date very quickly which would be shame as it's a nice fit and a tasteful cloth. I appreciate however, that longevity may not be a concern to you.

I should imagine that RL purple label is quite expensive, have you not considered bespoke?

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the suit and the pattern, but I agree that the lapels are a bit high and wide. It seems kind of strange for there to be air between the top of the peak lapel and the shoulder. It almost looks as if you were looking at the suit from behind you would see the peaks peeking over the top of your shoulders.

If you look at the Newman/Redford lapels and gorges, they are considerably lower.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
The suit may have issues but the fabric is "strong". Chalk stripes are an amazing pattern. The confusion over gangsters liking them disregards the cut. The cut of a suit tells more about the owner than the pattern. The pattern tells something about the owner too but that's a personal stylistic choice/judgment versus the suit/tailor which is more general level one. I would prefer to have fabrics I didnt like as much made by my tailor than than the fabrics I want made by someone else. Happily, I dont have to make this choice but it underscores the difference between fabric choice and tailor choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads