• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
From our party on Friday I have a bunch of good cheese that I need to use up and also some nice smoked salmon chunks Mrs. Piob has bought to make so spreads with. So leftover cheeses and salmon...what to do? I have a couple of homemade quiches in the oven. We'll eat one tonight, with a nice bottle of Merry Edwards Sauv Blanc, and freeze the other one for a work night dinner.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Citrus Arctic char with crispy skin on top of braised bok choy.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a little Sirreveller-esq, but last family get together for the holiday brought a country smoked ham to the table. Don't let the juices fool you, this thing was still plenty juicy... and smoky.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I prefer my grandma's quark stollen above all others. If you're interested in the recipe, let me know, I'll look for it tomorrow.

Today: Deer goulash, red cabbage, polenta fritters/cakes/whatever. And tiramisù.

I want

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sure thing, I'll translate it tomorrow. :)

Made brandade again today. So good. One of the comfiest comfort foods there is.

Also made a mutton leg last week (boneless). Used some recipe from BBC where it gets slow-cooked in some broth for 7 hours @ 120°C. Actually needed like 10-12 hours in my mom's oven (temp prolly a bit off, or it's because the recipe calls for a lamb's leg). Anyway, really tasty.
The sauce had a really marmite-like flavour though, super weird--even after a bunch of cream, port wine and fig jam. I pressed out the carrots/onions etc a bit too much, I think, but can a marmite-like flavour even result from that? Not a big fan, but it didn't taste bad. Had red cabbage and bread dumplings with it.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here we go:

500g flour + 1 package baking powder (for 500g)
200g sugar
1 package vanilla suggar (or extract or whatever)
1/2t salt
rind from 1/2 lemon and orange
pinch nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom
2 eggs
200g butter (room temp)
250g quark
115g raisins and 115g currants, both soaked in rum ;)
50g lemon and 50g orange succade (if you buy the prepackaged one, cut the small cubes a bit smaller)
2T rum
another 50g butter or so
powdered sugar

Mix flour with backing powder and sift. Make a mould in the middle, add sugar, vanilla sugar, spices, eggs. Work it into the flour. Add the soft butter (cut it in smaller pieces), the quark, raisins/currants, succade, citrus rinds and 2T rum. Mix together to a uniform dough. Maybe add a bit of flour if it doesn't feel quite right. IIRC it's still a bit sticky, but don't quote me on that. Form into a stollen and put it on baking parchment. Better yet: use a stollen pan:

Bake at about 180° for roughly 50-60 minutes until lightly browned. Carefully melt the 50g butter (or more ;)) and spread it over the still warm/hot stollen. Dust generously with powdered sugar. Can be eaten practically from day one on, doesn't need to sit for a week or so like hefestollen. Doesn't keep as long but still quite a few days.

I want some now.

Dinner today: cime di rapa + cavolo nero, salsiccia, pepperoni/garlic/olive oil/parmigiano, pasta.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

There is no such thing as sexy food. Your pasta is appetizing, but has nothing whatsoever to do with ejaculation.

You should really try having something licked off your tallywhacker.

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How was your truffle? Apparently this season is not so great and they're still not quite ripe?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads