• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What colour lining for long black Zegna coat?

Reaction score
I’ve had a 100% cashmere Ermenegildo Zegna coat sat in the wardrobe for many years now. Its black and comes down to about the knees and is beautifully made/great quality. However the lining is ripped and with holes so needs replacing. Originally I didn’t think I would wear it again so I’d get it re-lined in black and sell it on eBay.
Having had a look, they really don’t fetch very much at all - probably because it’s not a very well known brand. It cost £2-3k when new and I can’t let it go for £100 so I think I’ll keep it.
With that in mind I don’t want to get it lined in the usual black and thought I’d liven it up a bit so I’m after some suggestions.
Haven’t found much in the way of pictures online to see what different lining might look like on that type of coat. My initial thought was a maroon colour perhaps?
Any ideas what might look good or any pictures or suggestions welcome.
Thanks

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If it were me, I would just black Bemberg. However, if you want photos to inspire a less traditional lining choice, Leonard Logsdail in NYC often uses unusual linings in his coats. You can check his Instagram for inspiration.

Huddersfield Fine Worsted in the UK has a selection of non-traditional linings, which you can purchase online. They also send samples. The linings are in their "Flash" book

Rampley & Co also sells unusual linings online.

suitedcboy

Reaction score
How about silver or light grey? These other odd linings might get interest and people would want you to open your coat wide to see it. This would seem to the others behind you that you are a flasher.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
These other odd linings might get interest and people would want you to open your coat wide to see it. This would seem to the others behind you that you are a flasher.

I feel like I've read so many crazy things on this website I can no longer tell what is a joke.

Stylewords

Reaction score
How about silver or light grey? These other odd linings might get interest and people would want you to open your coat wide to see it. This would seem to the others behind you that you are a flasher.
"No officer, I was just showing them my lining".

Reaction score
Thanks all!
I was thinking probably just a solid colour rather than anything more controversial. Certainly wouldn’t want to scupper my thriving flasher career ;)
Light grey isn’t a bad shout.
I was thinking about a sunset yellow but I think that could be too contrasting

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all!
I was thinking probably just a solid colour rather than anything more controversial. Certainly wouldn’t want to scupper my thriving flasher career ;)
Light grey isn’t a bad shout.
I was thinking about a sunset yellow but I think that could be too contrasting
Black bemberg is the right call imo

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads