• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just started Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits by David Wong. So far it's pretty interesting, but hardly deep reading.

Finished this. It was only okay.

Pretty short but funny and interesting critique of modern architecture. Recommended for people like me, who have an interest in architecture but not much formal knowledge.

Started this last night. I hadn't realized that it was only 90 pages (at least on my Nook app). I'm about 20 pages in and it's interesting so far.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finished this. It was only okay.
Started this last night. I hadn't realized that it was only 90 pages (at least on my Nook app). I'm about 20 pages in and it's interesting so far.

Finished From Bauhaus to Our House this morning (woke up early, had a few minutes). It was interesting but I guess I was hoping for something a little more generally informative about architecture. This was much more about the various cults of personality that arose in the architecture world in the mid-20th century. I sometimes find Tom Wolfe's writing style a little off-putting.

I haven't started anything new yet--getting hibbely-jibbely about that (it's been almost three hours now).

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm reading walden and actually kinda enjoying it besides the cliched trite quality of it

That's one of those books that struggles under the weight of too many breathless quotes from hippie-dippie weirdos over the years. If you just read it without thinking "this is a major manifesto for living a beautiful life!" then it's really quite charming, IMHO.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of thinking about going on a Shakespeare binge for a couple of weeks. We have at least a dozen of his works on our shelves. That seems like a worthwhile pursuit. I haven't read any Shakespeare in a long time.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

That's one of those books that struggles under the weight of too many breathless quotes from hippie-dippie weirdos over the years. If you just read it without thinking "this is a major manifesto for living a beautiful life!" then it's really quite charming, IMHO.

The ant war is totally bad-ass.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started reading King Lear this weekend. I'm enjoying it so far. I'm going to take it slowly so I can enjoy the language and read all the little notes as I go.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ripeness is all.

Possibly best-written scene in any English play.

Last edited:

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I started reading King Lear this weekend. I'm enjoying it so far. I'm going to take it slowly so I can enjoy the language and read all the little notes as I go.

If you're enjoying it in that particular way (in slow, readerly fashion, pausing to appreciate the language), you might want to check out Stephen Booth's essay/chapter "On the Greatness of Lear," in his book _King Lear, Macbeth, Indefinition & Tragedy_. Really great essay--but one that only really works if we primarily think of Lear as a text to be read rather than a play to be performed.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're enjoying it in that particular way (in slow, readerly fashion, pausing to appreciate the language), you might want to check out Stephen Booth's essay/chapter "On the Greatness of Lear," in his book _King Lear, Macbeth, Indefinition & Tragedy_. Really great essay--but one that only really works if we primarily think of Lear as a text to be read rather than a play to be performed.

Thanks! I will check it out.

I have read Lear several times before (like pretty much all of Shakespeare's major works) but it has been a few years since I've revisited any of them. I tend to read the plays and see little movies of the action in my head, but sometimes I just get caught up in the language and forget about that part. Either way: good times. :D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads