• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Counselor: A Life at the Edge of History by Ted Sorensen

A birthday present I received a few weeks ago, a good read so far.

X-It

Reaction score
Godverdomse dagen op een godverdomse bol -- Dimitri Verhulst

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Unconquerable World by Jonathan Schell for class assignment.

BORING so far.
frown.gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alan Greenspan's The Age of Turbulence: Adventures in a New World

Hating on Greenspan has become so popular these days, I just thought it'd be a good idea to read up on the man. So far, so good. Quite interesting, actually.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ramsey Dukes (Uncle Ramsey's Little Book of Demons); I would recommend this to the one guy who posted here and who was a stage magician and had claimed that "magic doesn't *really* exist"...(also- and moreso: Monsters and Magical Sticks by Steven Heller, btw)...

Also something more conventionally palatable that I have been reading on and off are the (at times) really excellent aphorisms by Nicolás Gómez Dávila whose trenchant, reactionary critique of the modern world is very refreshing and on point; and in the tradition of Nietzsche in his untimeliness ("Unzeitgemäßheit")...

chiral

Reaction score
Despair, by Vladimir Nabokov. Only four chapters in so far, and quite good. I'm hopelessly addicted to Nabokovs' way with prose. EDIT- As a sidenote, whoever created the covers for the Vintage International printings of some of Nabokovs' earlier stuff is an idiot. The art and direction makes them look like pre-teen romance novels.

kakemono

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Alan Greenspan's The Age of Turbulence: Adventures in a New World

Hating on Greenspan has become so popular these days, I just thought it'd be a good idea to read up on the man. So far, so good. Quite interesting, actually.

I saw this book today and though about buying it. Please tell if you end up liking it after you are done...

Originally Posted by kakemono
Next up: Don't Start the Revolution Without Me - Jesse Ventura

Finished it. He certainly is a straight shooter it seems. Very honest. I liked the autobiography told in conjunction with his road trip.

Ventura is pretty self-centered and the end of this book proved it. I could have done without reading the last 5 pages - it ruined it. It seems he takes everything from a uninformed view and applies common sense to it - which is sometimes refreshing, but sometimes a little too naive.

Currently Reading: Freakanomics

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished Tom Wolfe's I Am Charlotte Simmons finally, i must say it was a readable, but not very good book. Stereotypical characters, obvious hints of a writer very much out of touch with his times... Just finished Woody Allen's Mere Anarchy...while I am generally not a fan of high-brow comedy in literature or film as I often find it very 'hard to get,' bordering on pretentious, this collection of short stories was side-splittingly hilarious. Am reading The Rules of Attraction, the writing is not great but it's an easy read, as Simmons was ... and despite being published nearly 2 decades earlier, it comes across as a much more realistic, if slightly hyperbolic and maniacal, portrayal of modern youth and college.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads