• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
right now about halfway through Tom Wolfe's I Am Charlotte Simmons...it's a mindless page turner and painfully awkward in a much older author's recreation of the reality of college life...but I bought this book after stalling for a couple years out of sheer curiosity in reading about a portrayal of Duke (which Dupont is apparently heavily borrowed from...the descriptions of architecture pretty much can't be mistaken for anywhere else), as I remember applying to there ED, getting deferred and ultimately rejected.

Have also recently finished The Sexual Life of Catherine M....don't really have much to say about it except the way sexuality is explored by the author's autobiographical accounts feels so awfully...French, for lack of a better word.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
On page one of Infinite Jest.

I remember buying this book as a kid, about 50 pages in unable to follow what was going on (i think i was only in middle school at the time) and gave up. Might revisit it one of these days...

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read 'Quantum of Solace' in the bookstore while waiting for some glasses to be made. It's one of the better bits of Fleming I've read, but he is still a mediocre at best writer in my opinion.

ceaton

Reaction score
Snakes in Suits.

Recognizing some behavior patterns. Feeling a little uncomfortable.

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read this already a couple of years ago but I am loving it, so I would like to recommend this work: it's simply one of the best:

Dostoyevsky: Notes from the Underground

Read IT!:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/600/600-h/600-h.htm

But apart from that, I recently haven't read that much, only "The Drinker" by Fallada (look it up on amazon; a new edition is due in march 2009) it was actually quite good; and yeah: I haven't forgotten about Pynchon, Lawyerdad, will check Grav's Rainbow at some time, too...

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am reading Graham Greene's "the shipwreck". really fantastic

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cambodia 1975-1982, by Michael Vickery

Just the first couple chapters are worth checking out

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
I remember buying this book as a kid, about 50 pages in unable to follow what was going on (i think i was only in middle school at the time) and gave up. Might revisit it one of these days...

Worth it. It's one of those books where you just have to let go and let its flow carry you along.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
As LawyerDad said, GR is difficult. I'd tend to read "The Crying of Lot 49" and "Vineland" first as they are enjoyable to read and much more approachable. Frankly, after the first few chapters, I really found much of Gravity's Rainbow to be quite a chore.

Heh--I'm on like page 120 of GR now, and I'm still not sure if I love it or hate it yet.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
still reading Sedaris'newest.
I've heard really mixed reviews. what do you think of it? I remember reading the smoking piece and finding it very good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads