• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently read How to avoid a climate disaster, found it rather preachy. As i scientist I find Vox populi books patronising.
Will certainly read this trio and recommend if good.
Mann’s is very data driven and alarmed but against panic. Did you read David Wallace-Wells’ The Unihabitable Earth?

IMG_1092.jpeg

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Forgot to provide some updates.

41-Pw07bRTL._SY445_SX342_.jpg

I thought I posted about this when I started this over 6 months ago. Well I'm still grinding through it. It's not particularly boring but I simply don't care. The book is about how to view modern art as I was hoping to learn what to consider when looking at abstract pieces. Unfortunately, the advice is to simply think for yourself which is not unreasonable. I'm committed to finishing it to assuage my inevitable guilt. I have about 30-40 pages to go so I'll commit to finishing it by December 31.

41LoxHUtzdL._SY445_SX342_.jpg

Just started this. First time borrowing from the library in years. Have looked forward to light (?) reading before I dive back into Caro's LBJ series (I haven't read the 4th book yet).

710UsCg+NTL._SY466_.jpg

Just finished this. Mostly enjoyable memoir of U.S. born food journalist based in Paris. There are some odd asides but I went though it quite quickly.
A few chapters in and I have given up on the Steve Jobs book - I'm not enough of a fan to care about much of his life apart from him as a businessman however I'm not interested in skimming or jumping through the book. So will return to the library in the next few days (I'd likely have stuck with it if I purchased the book).

Meanwhile, I just purchased. Love his books so looking forward to finishing up the series (for now).

1702929046184.jpeg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got about halfway through this and while it was a good read i realized I just don't care to finish this story at the expense of others
20231218_081240.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read all three of these. All very well done. The Deluge was Book of the Year for me.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went to the thrift store and for some reason this popped out to me.

It cost a quarter. I had no quarter. The shop volunteer said she would pay for it.

Reviews are good but all things considered I am giving this book a short leash.
20231230_095620.jpg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to the thrift store and for some reason this popped out to me.

It cost a quarter. I had no quarter. The shop volunteer said she would pay for it.

Reviews are good but all things considered I am giving this book a short leash. View attachment 2100783
Are you familiar with Len Deighton's other works?

He was refreshing in his time. If James Bond is the Walter Mitty fantasies of a middle class man who has never seen action, written whilst on holiday in the tropics (literally by his pool in Jamaica), and Le Carre is its hand wringing emo counterpart, Deighton has Orwell's analytical skills whilst retaining a cheery British "well, that's just how the world is, might as well roll with it" mindset that helps characters and readers alike cope with it.

I love this scene from the 1965 movie of the Ipcress Files:
capturing both demographic and lifestyle changes for the population as modernity rolls in. The boss, aristocratic and used to others waiting on him, is very uncomfortable and out of place in this middle class, city supermarket. Caine's character represents a new breed of normal-born-but-capable, cultured, independent thinking and confident, clashing a little with the system but rolling with it. You can see traces of the end of empire in Deighton, but also the end of the fantasy novel.

The world he perceived arising is so normalised today that his books faded away. But I don't regret picking up the 4-5 Deightons I did and watching a couple Harry Palmer movies.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read a lot of Deighton as a kid. Ever read Alastair MacLean? Excellent WWII and spy adventures from a great 1960s-70s writer.

Alan Furst is a modern writer who writes Noir spy fiction and is very readable.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you familiar with Len Deighton's other works?

He was refreshing in his time. If James Bond is the Walter Mitty fantasies of a middle class man who has never seen action, written whilst on holiday in the tropics (literally by his pool in Jamaica), and Le Carre is its hand wringing emo counterpart, Deighton has Orwell's analytical skills whilst retaining a cheery British "well, that's just how the world is, might as well roll with it" mindset that helps characters and readers alike cope with it.

I love this scene from the 1965 movie of the Ipcress Files:
capturing both demographic and lifestyle changes for the population as modernity rolls in. The boss, aristocratic and used to others waiting on him, is very uncomfortable and out of place in this middle class, city supermarket. Caine's character represents a new breed of normal-born-but-capable, cultured, independent thinking and confident, clashing a little with the system but rolling with it. You can see traces of the end of empire in Deighton, but also the end of the fantasy novel.

The world he perceived arising is so normalised today that his books faded away. But I don't regret picking up the 4-5 Deightons I did and watching a couple Harry Palmer movies.

I am not acerbic enough to speak to Len vs the other authors but reading up on him a bit it was clear that he is a third lane of spy writers. I suppose, in a world of Arnold v Sylvester v Dolph he is the Dolph Lundgren.
I'm also enjoying the book. You get intimidated sometimes seeing the books are 500 pages but then you remember it is large print on small pages with a fast pace.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well all of these guys were on PEDs (legal and normal then) so you'd want to look at whoever was promoting natty at the time. But obviously such a person would not become famous when Arnold or even Mike Mentzer took the limelight; and today, would be nothing special in a sea of Instagrammers with giant traps training 3 times a day to failure whilst claiming to be powered only by chia seeds and a sprinkling of pea protein.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads