• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Metro, I love how you're always totally confident, coked-up, pre-1987-crash Manhattan. I'm probably going up to NY in fall of this year. I want to know what love is. I want you to show me.
inlove.gif

****, that is one song I forgot to sing with the Japanese salarymen who took me out singing two nights ago. We did Metallica and Rick Astley instead.

By the way I am actually quite un-Wall Street. I hope I don't come off as such in my poasts.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Invisible Monsters.

I have no clue what to look for in fiction anymore, and I think I read most of the classics.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Pun
Invisible Monsters.

I have no clue what to look for in fiction anymore, and I think I read most of the classics.

you are 17, dude. cry me a river.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished Major Pettigrew's Last Stand - first two-thirds was better than I expected, the last third was flawed and a bit conventional, but still decent. Not bad for a first time author.

majorpettigrewlaststand.png

Next, Parrot and Oliver Visit America.

parrotandolivierinameri.jpg

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
goin' old school with a little Dickens. Great Expectations. a few weeks ago i was asking myself, "what the **** happened to Pip?". and here i am about a third of the way through. and as i remember the first time around, God i hate you Miss Havisham and Estella.

-Jeff

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Tipping Point right now. I've also read 12 books that probably shouldn't be named for the sake of my internet dignity.

Mark it 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Just finished Money by Martin Amis. Probably one of the best written books, I've ever read. I was cracking up out loud in ways I hadn't in a long time. His mastery of English is the best of any modern writer I've read. Money is a very thick, densely-written book in that every sentence drips with colorful imagery and wordplay. The anti-Murakami. Though in the end, I think they both seem to converge on a kind of nihilism, existentialism, and nostalgia.

Martin Amis is phenomenal. I was just recommending him to someone the other day. I've been trying to get through the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, but I keep getting sidetracked. I've also been reading 2666 by Bolano which is great. Recently read Shadow Country by Peter Matthiessen which was just unbelievably good if you like unconventional historical fiction. The book was originally three different novels in a series. The story is divided into first person narrative from different perspectives, ultimately creating an incredibly rich tapestry of characters (and a great story.) It takes a little while to get into, but it's worth the patience.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark it 8
Martin Amis is phenomenal. I was just recommending him to someone the other day. I've been trying to get through the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, but I keep getting sidetracked. I've also been reading 2666 by Bolano which is great. Recently read Shadow Country by Peter Matthiessen which was just unbelievably good if you like unconventional historical fiction. The book was originally three different novels in a series. The story is divided into first person narrative from different perspectives, ultimately creating an incredibly rich tapestry of characters (and a great story.) It takes a little while to get into, but it's worth the patience.

Man, if Wind-Up Bird doesn't pull you in, Murakami might just not be for you. I found it so engrossing that I would skip dinner and social events to read on. But I don't think Murakami is for everyone.

Heard great things about 2666 and will probably check it out next. Isn't it supposedly massive?

Mark it 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Man, if Wind-Up Bird doesn't pull you in, Murakami might just not be for you. I found it so engrossing that I would skip dinner and social events to read on. But I don't think Murakami is for everyone.

Heard great things about 2666 and will probably check it out next. Isn't it supposedly massive?

Yeah, it's quite a brick. Writing is beautiful though. I'll put Wind-Up back in the rotation. My problem is that I have serious ADD approach to reading- usually 4-5 books at a time that I trade off and on depending on what I feel like reading. Sometimes I forget to get back to one or I dont give one enough time in the rotation.

riverrun

Reaction score
wind up bird is great - the lt. mamiya part is particularly good and different than most murakami - but I didn't find it as hard to put down as hard boiled wonderland, dance dance dance or wild sheep chase.

Money's good too. funny book. Amis is very good but always seems more of a stylist / humorist than a writer of ideas, which sounds more pejorative than I mean it to.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by riverrun
wind up bird is great - the lt. mamiya part is particularly good and different than most murakami - but I didn't find it as hard to put down as hard boiled wonderland, dance dance dance or wild sheep chase.

Money's good too. funny book. Amis is very good but always seems more of a stylist / humorist than a writer of ideas, which sounds more pejorative than I mean it to.

wind up bird was a wtf book for me.

-_- ****. i feel like wong kar wai and murakami are a hipster must. i feel self conscious about slowly stepping into hipsterdom.

i feel like the hipster is the only socially labelled group that detests its own existence. all other cultures seem to celebrate it.

want to read kafka on the shore after reading kafka. i know its stupid

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think Murakami or Kar Wai Wong are associated with hipsters, in my experience.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Isn't this the book on color with like 10 color images in it?

Yeah seriously, it has been disappointing so far. Seems like a collection of lecture notes Albers would use to guide his students through demonstrations. Not exactly the "essential work" I was led to believe.

I'll keep reading it though, since it has some good ideas.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fasdff