• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you drinking right now?

fairlynerdy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Antique Collection has pulled prices of the regular stuff up (and strained availability). It's good stuff but not something I personally would consider worthy of clearing out a store's stock.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put together a batch of Sazeracs for a friend's Mardi Gras party last night. It was a delicate operation, because I had to calculate the right amount of bitters, absinthe (which is usually a rinse) and water (for dilution) to include beforehand. It turned out pretty well, even if not quite as good as a made to order drink.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I think the Antique Collection has pulled prices of the regular stuff up (and strained availability). It's good stuff but not something I personally would consider worthy of clearing out a store's stock.

Yeah, never entered my head this stuff might suddenly become a thing. For the (former) price point it was my go-to well for bourbon but I might change up if the prices go up anymore. I do prefer it over a Bulleit but Mrs. Piob like the Bulleit so might start running with that. I keep a handle of both in stock, and also Maker's, as it's all good stuff for the money IMO. Having so much of that in the house also makes it easy to hide my better stuff like my bottle of 20 year Pappy.

Last edited:

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's ridiculous.

Tonight enjoying a new cocktail -- it's really stellar, unfortunately virtually impossible to make absent a secret ingredient:

The Village Green Preservation Society

1.75 oz Bombay Sapphire
1.25 oz Byrrh
0.75 oz Strawberry Syrup*
0.25 Eau De Framboise
Two Dashes Fee Bros. Gin Barrel Aged Orange Bitters

Stir, and serve up with a preserved strawberry.

* My wife cans and preserves things, including strawberries in heavy syrup with fresh vanilla beans. This is the syrup from the strawberries.

The drink is really ridiculously good, as the Byrrh's floral notes and trace of bitterness play beautifully against the fruity strawberry, with the vanilla giving it a bit of something special. Gin, of course, is the perfect foundation.

~ H

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Rainy night at home:
Manhattan with Bulleit Rye and Amaro. Didn't have any cherries, so it's with an orange peel.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
What else do you use it in? I had one bottle before but did little with it. Clearly, it matches very well with gin. I can't send you strawberries, but I will get the recipe from my wife and post it, given that they are coming into season. If you don't want to go to the bother of canning/processing them, you can still make them and keep them for a little bit. They are also ridiculous over ice cream or crepes. ~ H

marvin100

Reaction score
Gin for sure, but also good with bourbon or rye, and even mezcal (I eyeball smokey negroni variants pretty often). I've had it in punches, too, which rule, but I didn't make them myself. I especially like Byrrh with some citrus--it's just a combination that hits my spot. I don't usually use recipes or even keep track of what I make--I'm a caveman home cocktail maker on my best days and a random potion concocter on my worst.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Principle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for Absinthe drinks? Preference for ones where absinthe is the support rather than the lead. I'm currently using the Philadelphia based Veiux Carre.

I've tried variations with the following and have enjoyed the results:
- Cognac from Kyrgyzstan (had some grand mothers visit recently)
- Various scotches, primarily Johnnie Walker Green Label because that's the one I'm most willing to part with
- Carpano Antica Vermouth

The little bit of absinte adds citrus-like notes and lighterns the spirits based cocktail. I've heard that Vieux Carre specifically has apple notes, so maybe there's some malic acid in the mix.

Thanks in advance

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Made up a batch of candied orange peel yesterday for use in a dessert I'm doing for a dinner party. Reserved the orange infused simple syrup for later use.

Used some of it tonight along with some orange bitters and Templeton Rye for an orange flavored Old Fashioned.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bombay Saphire lemon and tonic. Summers last gleaming mind you Friday a high of 29c is predicted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads