• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Well-made dress shoes for rough ground or not?

julian1138

Reaction score
Hi there, I am looking to buy a better pair of black oxford shoes for office work and I am quite new to high quality leather goods in general. I read that higher quality leather should be more durable, but I wonder just how durable they can be? The pedestrian walkways where I am are quite rough and uneven, and there's a gravel path on the way to my office. After 2 years of working at the same place, I still very occasionally trip over some uneven bits of ground lol. Plus, the weather isn't the greatest, with very frequent raining. I just want a pair of shoes that will last a long time while looking reasonably good. Would it make sense to get something like Cheaney's or C&J, or should I stick to something on the lower end like Meermin or Loake? Thanks!

KOz

Reaction score
Hi there, I am looking to buy a better pair of black oxford shoes for office work and I am quite new to high quality leather goods in general. I read that higher quality leather should be more durable, but I wonder just how durable they can be? The pedestrian walkways where I am are quite rough and uneven, and there's a gravel path on the way to my office. After 2 years of working at the same place, I still very occasionally trip over some uneven bits of ground lol. Plus, the weather isn't the greatest, with very frequent raining. I just want a pair of shoes that will last a long time while looking reasonably good. Would it make sense to get something like Cheaney's or C&J, or should I stick to something on the lower end like Meermin or Loake? Thanks!
My C&J boots are in great visual condition after years of use in rainy and muddy conditions. Obviously take care to minimize unnecessary scratches and whatnot and keep on top of maintenance. Black is also an easier colour to take care of.

In terms of shoe makers, you'll often see people talk about how Meermin take ages to break in. I'm not sure the discomfort is worth the money saved.

Last edited:

julian1138

Reaction score
My C&J boots are in great visual condition after years of use in rainy and muddy conditions. Obviously take care to minimize unnecessary scratches and whatnot and keep on top of maintenance. Black is also an easier colour to take care of.

In terms of shoe makers, you'll often see people talk about how Meermin take ages to break in. I'm not sure the discomfort is worth the money saved.
That's good to know, thank you! Yeah, I think I'll get something more comfortable as well if that's the case. Just curious, how often do you wear those boots?

KOz

Reaction score
That's good to know, thank you! Yeah, I think I'll get something more comfortable as well if that's the case. Just curious, how often do you wear those boots?
That's weather dependent. Keep in mind this won't give you valuable information as we don't have the same lifestyle. You might find it more useful to read this: https://www.putthison.com/how-good-things-age-i-love-these-photos-of-chris/

Ideally, you would take care not to use the same shoe pair day after day, but rotate two pairs.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agree with rotating. Use shoe trees.

don't forget that leather shoes have been used for hundreds of years over all kinds of terrain much less even than today's urban surfaces.

Well-made leather footwear can be resoled. Consider rubber soles if you frequently walk over wet ground.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rinze