• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brogues Brogues Brogues - for brogue lovers only

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Barker Roughout Suede

20240921_170521.jpg

Attachments

• 20240921_170521.jpg
    20240921_170521.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 16

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Historical brogue
Possibly the first generation hand made Chinese shoe, the marlboro handmades. Made in the late 1990's to early 2000's. These were hand welted with machine stitched soles. They were terrible shoes, hard on the feet and crudely built,and only the center of the shoe touched the ground.

Semi blocky last with weak leather heel counter or perhaps none. Crudely made shoes.
Marlboro Handmade 1.jpg

Not bad for a Chinese shoe back in the day,and the beginnings of the great Chinese hand made shoes that were to come.
Marlboro Handmade 2.jpg

Hand welted with a dimpled insole, but pretty much useless if the shoe is no good.
Marlboro Handmade 3.jpg

The sole. Machine stitched. Notice the outside of the soles not touching the ground. Hard as rock to wear. It says goodyear on the sole, but it isn't goodyear.
Marlboro Handmade 4.jpg

Will try to post another historical Chinese brogue another day. It was in 2008 when the Chinese started getting more advanced in shoe making and imported good teachers. They started making Alden look-a-likes to a high level, and then began Gaziano and Girling styles because they were wowed by their shoes, and later they got to the present stage.

Just my understanding.

Fenners81

Reaction score
@DorianGreen @Humpty_Dumpty_Rises
Sorry to keep asking but I’m not the most confident in these matters. I’ve found a lightweight tweed suit I like from Walker Slater - picture below. Do you think this would go with the Tricker’s regent I already have and posted earlier? I’d rather not buy some Oxford brogues that I will barely wear if I can avoid it.
1726994321290.png

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to keep asking but I’m not the most confident in these matters. I’ve found a lightweight tweed suit I like from Walker Slater - picture below. Do you think this would go with the Tricker’s regent I already have and posted earlier? I’d rather not buy some Oxford brogues that I will barely wear if I can avoid it.
View attachment 2249913

I think the colour of those shoes is too light. As I said, I would go for black or dark brown.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
View attachment 2249913
This tweed has hues of dark brown in it.
So yes i think one can definitely wear brown on the feet.

I would polish that regent shoe with some dark brown (not light or mid brown) polish and build up a slightly dark tint on it (darker than it currently is). Shine it up, and your ready to go. Will work well.

To blend in things, you might include a shade of brown to your tie/bow too. That way the shoes are complemented with some cloth/attire from your upper body and not overly prominent.

Disclaimer: i am no expert and far far from knowledgeable about formal wear fashion. So its just my two pennies

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This tweed has hues of dark brown in it.
So yes i think one can definitely wear brown on the feet.

I would polish that regent shoe with some dark brown (not light or mid brown) polish and build up a slightly dark tint on it (darker than it currently is). Shine it up, and your ready to go. Will work well.

To blend in things, you might include a shade of brown to your tie/bow too. That way the shoes are complemented with some cloth/attire from your upper body and not overly prominent.

Disclaimer: i am no expert and far far from knowledgeable about formal wear fashion. So its just my two pennies

Well, tweed is a quite unconventional choice for a wedding suit and certainly not formal, so you have more room also in the shoe choice. I would avoid though any extravagance and go for a traditional Oxford with no broguing, as I said either in black or dark brown.

Polishing the light brown shoes with a dark cream won't give a good result in my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frededward116