• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Ties

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few months ago, I ran across a quite nice black and silver houndstooth in Charles Tyrwhitt, of all places. The lining was a bit heavy for my taste, but otherwise, it was a perfectly respectable example, and quite inexpensive.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I'm getting married in a few months. It will be a simple, private affair. I will be wearing a basic grey suit - nothing fancy. I was thinking about a navy PoW tie like this one from Shibumi:

89_058b31ebabe0ba.jpg

This is the suit I will be wearing:

1020091.jpg

However, my concern is that it does not adequately contrast the suit. Thoughts? Alternate recommendations?

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I'm getting married in a few months. It will be a simple, private affair. I will be wearing a basic grey suit - nothing fancy. I was thinking about a navy PoW tie like this one from Shibumi:

View attachment 799958

This is the suit I will be wearing:

View attachment 799959

However, my concern is that it does not adequately contrast the suit. Thoughts? Alternate recommendations?

I would wear a darker suit with that tie navy preferably.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was what I was thinking. My fiancee wants me to wear the grey suit though. Alternative recommendations?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Black and blue versions of glen plaid do look very similar. Your concern about lack of contrast is accurate. If you want to wear a mid grey suit like that, I don't think any traditional wedding tie will provide enough contrast. The navy tie in your photo looks like the best choice.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all this concern about a lack of contrast between suit and tie, it may be worth remembering that contrast is not the sine qua non of dressing well. It's entirely possible to have a relatively low contrast suit/tie combination, which nevertheless looks good.

Well, just a thought.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm open to any and all suggestions. My only concern is that it looks good. @Kent Wang the tie in the photo is a navy grenadine, which I wear quite frequently. Looking for something navy in wedding-appropriate silk.

Out of these, which would you guys choose?

DX9jaqC.jpg

Or:
BO17P037001.jpg

Or:
eng_pl_SIX-FOLD-SILK-POLKA-DOTS-NAVY-TIE-4039_1.jpg

Or:
formal-wedding-silk-tie-blue-1.jpg

This is Cappelli's 'formal wedding silk'.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Second tie on the list looks good. No wedding tie is really going to provide a lot of contrast from a distance (black and white sort of resolve to grey), but up close the second tie will provide a bit of visual interest and at least some contrast in texture and tone. If you end up not going the wedding tie route, I think solid navy is always a good choice. Navy pindot is also classic and hard to go wrong with.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. The second one it is. Thanks for the advice.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those also look pretty good, thanks. I'll give it some thought. I'm sure I can find something similar in the EU.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was what I was thinking. My fiancee wants me to wear the grey suit though. Alternative recommendations?

Oh, dear.

What time of day is the wedding?

FWIW, I generally prefer also the houndstooth for wedding ties. The problem is that wedding ties are not meant to go with mid-grey, patterned suits. If you really have to wear that suit, the Cappelli would probably look better.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither of us are religious, nor are we interested in getting caught up in wedding-fever, so the ceremony will be held at the local magistrate's office. So, uh, in office hours, I guess.

The reason for the grey suit is because it matches my fiancee's dress:

286-50327946-92-2.jpg

I prefer the herringbone, to be honest, but I will give the Cappelli some thought.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh no. The dreaded "matching my date" conundrum. My wife used to insist on things like this. At first I reluctantly played along because I was in New-Relationship-Politeness-Mode. Slowly I started to suggest that we didn't need to match, necessarily. We just needed to compliment one another. Finally I achieved the point at which we are now. Neither of us tries to match, compliment, or anything of the sort. We each wear what we want and everything turns out alright because we both have a sense of occasion. I'm not suggesting you fight her on this particular occasion, I'm just suggesting that there is light at the end of the matchy tunnel. By the by, I think groomsmen all dressed in the same thing looks ridiculous too. Semi-formal daytime and evening wear (or a lounge suit dress code) ensures that everyone coheres with everyone else while still leaving room for individuality. These package bought groomsmen ensembles where everyone wears the same colored sateen tie is absurd.

In any case, even the black shepherd's check tie looks like it would muddle against that gray suit. I'd go with the navy pin-dot.

Congratulations, by the way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads